Replacement options for taillight on XR650L

38 replies to this topic
  • druss6

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:33 AM

I just picked up a 2004 XR650L and am looking to replace the "TV set" with a universal low profile light. There seems to be a very popular model sold by AH Mclaughlin's that will be a good fit, however, everyone who deals with him seems to have a very hard time, and winds up waiting weeks for their order. Does anyone know of any other light that would be a good fit to cover the recess left by the old TV set? And if so, where is a good place to order it.

• martinfan30

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:48 AM

Try the Baja Desings I have.

http://www.thumperta...achmentid=39341

• jonr3

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:02 AM

+1 on the Baja Designs.

I replaced the rear fender with a CRF450 fender, added the BD taillight, and replaced the turn signals with some flush mount teardrops.
Posted Image

• Wild Turkey

Posted February 05, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Try the WPS dual sport light, That's what I have. :busted: http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

• Old Dog

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:23 PM

+1 on the WPS Dual Sport light. I have one also and have never had a problem with it. :busted:

• percyco

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:25 PM

I have a WPS from the Thumpertalk store, about $14.00 I think. Came to my doorstep in about 4 days . Bolts in the exsisting holes and looks like a R model . Posted Image

• durandal

Posted February 05, 2008 - 07:57 PM

percyco, that does look like a nice tail light. I miss the one that's on my XR250R.

When you remove the TV set, you bolt the brake light on. What about the license plate? Did you have to do anything out of the ordinary to get it as shown in the pic?

d.

• Old Dog

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:28 PM

percyco, that does look like a nice tail light. I miss the one that's on my XR250R.

When you remove the TV set, you bolt the brake light on. What about the license plate? Did you have to do anything out of the ordinary to get it as shown in the pic?

d.

When I put my license plate on, I had two choices, one was to drill holes in the plate to make it fit the stock holes in the fender, the other option was to drill holes in the fender to match the holes in the plate ..... I opted for drilling holes in the plate :ride: After all, who wants to mess up a nice clean fender. :worthy:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure you can get plate mounts that you mount your plate on, and then they will bolt up onto the stock fender holes. :busted:

• durandal

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:33 PM

Ok, so it's not *that* simple.

And what about the quality of the light: brightness, burnt bulbs, that sort of thing? I hate the TV, but I do value safety and reliability.

d.

• Wild Turkey

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:17 PM

When I put my license plate on, I had two choices, one was to drill holes in the plate to make it fit the stock holes in the fender, the other option was to drill holes in the fender to match the holes in the plate ..... I opted for drilling holes in the plate :ride: After all, who wants to mess up a nice clean fender. :worthy:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure you can get plate mounts that you mount your plate on, and then they will bolt up onto the stock fender holes. :busted:

Here's how mine turned out. I made a bracket from 16ga. steel and tack welded some allen bolts onto it, painted it black and mounted it on the fender through the existing TV set holes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old Dog

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:53 PM

Very nice job WT!! :worthy: :busted:

• durandal

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:39 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hm... does the cable *have* to go over the fender?

d.

• Wild Turkey

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:28 AM

Hm... does the cable *have* to go over the fender?

d.

The stock fender has a wire channel molded into it for the wire from the old TV set, so I just used it for the new tail light. I figured it would be ugly either way I went.

• durandal

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Interesting...

d.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:37 AM

how does the light plug into the stock female connector? I got mine in the other day and it has the old style HOnda male connector plugs (3 wires) and I think the new female harness supplied as OEM on the 650L has a gray plastic preformed 3 wire female plug, I don't wana cut that off and splice the tail-light in, but I see no other alternative - unless I am wrong. Please enlighten me....

• Wild Turkey

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:31 AM

how does the light plug into the stock female connector? I got mine in the other day and it has the old style HOnda male connector plugs (3 wires) and I think the new female harness supplied as OEM on the 650L has a gray plastic preformed 3 wire female plug, I don't wana cut that off and splice the tail-light in, but I see no other alternative - unless I am wrong. Please enlighten me....

The wires on my WPS light weren't long enough anyway, so I had to splice them. It wasn't that big of a deal. I also had to splice in my rear turn signals, but my fronts plugged right in.

• percyco

Posted February 06, 2008 - 02:00 PM

d.

I basically did what Wild Turkey did, I cut a piece of aluminum the size of the lic. plate . Drilled two holes in the center to line up with the lower two holes in the fender. I ground down the heads of two bolts so that they were a bit thinner. I then mounted the alum. plate using those two bolts and some rubber washers on the bottom side between the plate and fender. Then I mounted the lic. plate to the alum. plate . ......Presto, instant lic. plate bracket using the original fender holes !

• druss6

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. In any event, I now have a new problem. I just bolted up a new White Brothers exhaust and it's pretty much touching my turn signal. I guess I'll have to figure something out to do with those now.

• jbird710

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:30 PM

X3 on the Baja Designs

Posted Image

• percyco

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. In any event, I now have a new problem. I just bolted up a new White Brothers exhaust and it's pretty much touching my turn signal. I guess I'll have to figure something out to do with those now.

When I had the big stock signals on my 650l, I used a zip tie in that little alignment hole on the signal bracket to kinda shim the thing up. I have since replaced the signals with smaller models from a Buell. I discovered that the rear signals on a Buell Blast have the same size mount (I have both a 03' Blast and a XB9S Lightning). The best part is that the Buell signals are cheap, under $10.00 for each complete signal and $2.00 for replacement lense. They can be had at any Harley Davidson/Buell dealer.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.