May Need a Stock Header - How much??

3 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted April 15, 2002 - 05:22 AM

Let's just say yesterday was a trying day and leave it at that :D !

Layed it down, (right side) in forth yesterday, smooth dirt road, 30 degree right hand turn, a little lean into the turn, whooaahhh, there goes the front end, just pushing and not grabbing (crappy 739's, when am I going to learn :) !!).

At any rate, once my bike stopped, I noticed that I no longer have any clearance problems getting to my oil filter, bent my header up about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, CRAPPPPP! A little boot presure and managed to bend it back down about 1/2 the way. Now, no leak where the header seats up against the head, and no cracks on the header, did a full inspection, and I was able to ride all the way home with no problems. So, anyone see any long term problems with running with a slightly "modified" header?? It really isn't that distorted, but it's not perfect. I'm a little short on cash at this point, so won't be able to replace it for a couple months. Let me know, I plan on riding her as is :D !

Thanks as usual;

Dodger :D :D

• racemile

Posted April 15, 2002 - 06:29 AM

Dodger,

Sorry to hear your getoff I was ridin' with rookies this weekend so I didnt lay it down, but, watched my 350 suzy get dumped about three times. I now have lots of new custom work on that ride.

IMHO a bend in the head pipe my make some difference in the bikes performance if it drastically changes the shape , but, If you already rode it, and, there are no crakes or holes, there shouldn't be any issues in its present condition.

But I'm not an expert.

Race :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted April 15, 2002 - 07:25 AM

I've been riding mine with a "custom" header for over a year with no problems. I went sliding sideways into a tree and the headpipe was at the point of impact. I, too, have no more oil filter clearance problems. It also made a dent at the very front apex of the pipe about 3 inches long. I followed the instructions motoman393's web site to fix it. So now the dent is almost unnoticable, the pipe's still bent, but the bike runs just fine.

• Chaindrive

Posted April 15, 2002 - 03:05 PM

Hey Dodger, I have actually considered performing this very modification until I can afford aftermarket. I was going remove it from the bike first, unless you are gonna be available to do it for me? :D I hate the thought of crashing on purpose. :)
The only possible dangers are: Being bent too close to something. Cracking your exhaust port. Snapping off the exhaust bolts. Restricted flow if smashed. None of these things happened?
Enjoy your easier oil changes!! :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.