07 yamaha yz450 cut silencer

14 replies to this topic
  • nickshull

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:25 AM

ok, i cut my silencer 5'' sorter. i like it runs graet lil louder, but i dont have that hideous long pipe sticking out of my bike! what i would like to know is will this f%$# my motor up in the long run. has anybody had any trouble from doing this? so far its been great. i just dont whant to jack my motor up over somthing cosmetic. if u know what i mean. if someone has any advice for me please share it with me. i realy dont think it will hurt it, but other opinions are allways good! thanks.

• Emiliano

Posted February 04, 2008 - 09:09 AM

I was thinking to do it to my bike, pics?

• nickshull

Posted February 04, 2008 - 09:20 AM

ya go to my garage. there are pics in there. check it out!

• rmzRacer293

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:43 PM

it does look sweet!

• Daltoneious

Posted February 04, 2008 - 04:07 PM

i can't think of a reason why it would do any harm to your motor, you may end up repacking it more often, but i've got the stock pipe on my 07 and i'm lucky to get 10hrs or so out of fresh packing.

• USED YZ426F

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:45 AM

I can't see it hurting the bike in the long run. We're not talking about cutting up a two stroke pipe here.
I can see it being louder.

• surfersean1982

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:38 AM

How did you go about cutting it. And how much louder does it make it sound. I was just going to try to buy an 08 yZ450F stock exhaust off of ebay.

Did you have any trouble shortening it? what tools did you end up using,and what worked best in doing so?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickshull

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:27 AM

used a chopsaw for steel, cut off however much you want off, then cut 4 little slices in the pipe like a cross, then taper it a little you'll see when u do it ,its easy. use like metal sheers. then drill out your rivits slide the end cap out. then put it in the new cut peice, you mite have to use a razer knife and clean up the edges of the can, then make marks and drill out the new rivit holes rivit and botta bing its done! hope this help you. good luck its fairly simple. peace hommies!............. so you need a chopsaw, rivit gun, razer knife, metal sheers, drill and skills .....lol!

• WB450

Posted February 08, 2008 - 09:05 AM

That looks nice.

• surfersean1982

Posted February 08, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Nickshull, I'll try it once I pass inspection to be street legal. I do not want them saying my bike is too loud. :busted: Yamaha really made the 07's quiet. So I'm thinking it should be able to pass. Thanks dude:thumbsup:

• ktown yamaha

Posted February 08, 2008 - 01:36 PM

looks mint

• grunkthump

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:12 AM

when you say put 4 little slices like a cross are you talking about to the CORE?? Doesn't the core need to be slightly shorter than the can?? I have a new PMB S/A endcap waiting to mount and am seriously considering just chopping 3 or 4" off that can!! Thanks!!

• stroker101

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:49 AM

ok, i cut my silencer 5'' sorter. i like it runs graet lil louder, but i dont have that hideous long pipe sticking out of my bike! what i would like to know is will this f%$# my motor up in the long run.

don't you think that asking this before you cut the silencer would have been better?
you may have gained some low end torque, but probably killed the top end performance

• nickshull

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:09 AM

i cut mine flush strait throgh. ya the core not the can, just 2 taper it a lil.

• nickshull

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:14 AM

ya it did some weird s%$# but i messed with my gearing and its good now. 14/50 is what im running now, ya it seemed like i had more top end and less low end everyone says its the other way, but i felt it in the top end. w..e.i.r.d! hope this helps!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.