K&N filter a good idea?

15 replies to this topic
  • cj7mudder

Posted February 03, 2008 - 10:29 PM

I don't know anybody who has put a K&N filter in there bike but was wondering if anybody has and if it made a difference or not? or what would you recomend? Sorry guys I'm just getting back into riding and it been 10 years.:busted:

• William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:51 AM

A K&N on a dirt bike is not a good idea. Stay with stock, Twinn Air or one of the other reputable brands. K&N's are really a street filter.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:36 AM

Yup, they let too much dust through to be considered effective. A good foam filter like William1 mentioned is a good idea but IMHO the oil is more important in stoping dirt. Make sure whatever you use sets up nice and tacky

• William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Yup, they let too much dust through to be considered effective. A good foam filter like William1 mentioned is a good idea but IMHO the oil is more important in stoping dirt. Make sure whatever you use sets up nice and tacky

LOL, the one time I like things 'tacky'! :busted:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:37 AM

I don't know anybody who has put a K&N filter in there bike but was wondering if anybody has and if it made a difference or not? or what would you recomend? Sorry guys I'm just getting back into riding and it been 10 years.:busted:

Wont run one on my truck or my bike. I figure if you can see through it, the holes are to big.
Hows that for some rocket science.

• byggd

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Moose racing makes a nice product too.

• kskyles

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:34 PM

i've always had success with UNI and twin air filters.

• brad the best

Posted February 04, 2008 - 06:38 PM

buy a twin air or uni , what ever you do dont go to your local parts store and when the parts guy tries to sell you one tell them they are crap and they get more air flow from bigger holes .

he shits a chicken , like an actual squawking egg laying chicken . i had like a 10 minute argument on it and im a mechanic .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_426

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:32 PM

I've had a K&N filters before w/no issues. I had one on my '02 YZ426F for 5 years before selling it. It had the prefilter on it as well on my current WR450F also. I had over 460 hours on my 426 also. It's still running strong today also. As long as your not in sand/silt on a daily basis, you'll be fine.

Mark

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 04, 2008 - 09:42 PM

If you can find a Outerwears prefilter for it than it will be fine. Otherwise I would use a foam one

• cj7mudder

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:00 PM

thanks guys your the shit!

• Chas_M

Posted February 08, 2008 - 12:37 PM

K&N filters work fine with a 'prefilter' or especially with an oiled foam sock. In fact the original ATK's were so equipped and worked very well. But why go to the trouble and expense to end up with something no better than the stock foam filter?!

• canyonclimb

Posted February 09, 2008 - 08:49 AM

You wanna know about k&n filters on a 4 fitty. Ask My Bro-in-law, he just spent 2000$ to rebuild his engine after he sucked a load of sand through the k&n after a sand dune trip. That was enough to keep me away from k&n filters.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 10, 2008 - 10:30 AM

You wanna know about k&n filters on a 4 fitty. Ask My Bro-in-law, he just spent 2000$ to rebuild his engine after he sucked a load of sand through the k&n after a sand dune trip. That was enough to keep me away from k&n filters.

He would have been fine with a prefilter. My friend has one on his quad with an outerwears prefilter. He rides sand all the time and absolutely no sand gets into the air boot. I also have an outerwears air box lid on my quad, the inside of my airbox is sparkly clean

• MHubacek

Posted February 13, 2008 - 12:12 PM

Anyone used this filter. PC racing claims to make a great dual foam filter. It also comes with gloves and 2 pre filters for 29.95. I just purchased it, and I'm awaiting its arrival. I have a 2007 wr450f and have heard reports that the stock filter is problematic.
Thanks,
Mike

• YZMICHAEL

Posted June 17, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Do not put on a K&N they have holes the size of quaters so more air can flow through with as shitload of dirt and make it look like a chees grader wnt through your motor. 'quotin my friend pat.'

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.