650R Stock Needle With 2 Positions???

14 replies to this topic
  • jdubb75

Posted February 03, 2008 - 08:34 PM

just curious. I was uncorking my 07 R today and took out the stock needle to find it only had 2 slots in it. it didn't matter because i was replacing it with a b53e. i almost didn't buy the comp needle though. i was just going to move the position of the clip on the stock needle. glad i didn't go that route. what gives? i've read about using the stocker and moving the clip position to the 3rd and 4th slots but i didn't have that option on my stock needle. did honda change the stock needles at some point?

now...can anybody direct me to a good plastic surgeon to remove this permanent smile i'm wearing?:worthy:

the R rules!:busted:

• philipstjohn

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:30 AM

My 06 stock needle had five slots, so maybe they did change it in 07. I am curious, what slot was the clip in when you pulled it out, and what jets were installed with your stock 07?

The smiles begin when you go to start an uncorked, properly jetted XR650R. Should start first kick most times now, which gets you into XR heaven right away! The ear to ear grin gets more pronounced each and every ride! :busted:

• jdubb75

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:14 AM

:busted: on the uncorked experience.

if i recall the clip was in the top slot. it had a 125 main and i think a 65 slow.

after i got it all back together, it starts way easier. i'm still in the learning phase of starting it. i only have about 16 miles on it. i just need to make a habit out of turning up the idle a bit before trying to start it, but it gets easier each time i do it.

it's weird that they would make a change in 07 then quit making them in 08. what's up honda???:worthy:

• porterdog

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:17 AM

it had a 125 main

?! Are you sure?

• jdubb75

Posted February 04, 2008 - 01:11 PM

?! Are you sure?

not 100%. i'll have to check it out. i didn't really pay close attention to the jet sizes. what stood out the most was the stock needle with only two clip positions.

• jdubb75

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:39 PM

?! Are you sure?

I checked the jets and needle that I pulled from my stock 07 carb. Here's the scoop:

125 main jet
65s slow jet
stock need with only two slots, clip on bottom slot.

I just thougt this was a little odd.

• martinfan30

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:34 PM

That "125" main HAS to be something other than 125. No way that thing would run!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdubb75

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:40 PM

That "125" main HAS to be something other than 125. No way that thing would run!

I double checked it tonight. It is definately stamped "125." The needle is also different than all the others I've read about, having only 2 positions.

What should the stock main be?

• martinfan30

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:42 PM

I beleive the R guys run 165 and higher mains.

• jdubb75

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:44 PM

I beleive the R guys run 165 and higher mains.

I've got a 175 in it now. The 125 was the stock main.

• yammx

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:39 PM

I've got a 175 in it now. The 125 was the stock main.

Right 175main is stock and a 65s pilot !
But the pilot is to lean, should be a 70s :busted:

• jdubb75

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:57 AM

I think there is a little confusion going on in this thread. I just started the thread to see if anyone else had a stock needle with only two clip positions because some of the uncorking articles I was reading talked about using the stock needle and moving to the third or fourth position.

The factory (stock) stuff I pulled from my carb is as follows:
125 main jet
65s slow jet
needle with only 2 clip positions, clip on bottom slot (don't know the #)

I replaced all this with:
175 main jet
68s slow jet
B53E comp needle (clip in middle position)

I was mainly just curious why the stock parts on my bike weren't matching what I've read about.

Anyone out there with an 07 that has the same carb guts as mine?

• cb60130

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:21 PM

yep...my 07 came with a 125 and 65 stock....

• Maroast

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:26 PM

yep...my 07 came with a 125 and 65 stock....

ditto.

the stock xrr has an intake thats all corked up and the carb is "tuned" to run with very little air running through it.

I would get the new needle because it has a different taper profile....and will thus deliver fuel differently throughout the throttle range. Why cheap out now, your in too deep!

• Kenzo

Posted April 18, 2008 - 02:06 PM

I think there is a little confusion going on in this thread. I just started the thread to see if anyone else had a stock needle with only two clip positions because some of the uncorking articles I was reading talked about using the stock needle and moving to the third or fourth position.

The factory (stock) stuff I pulled from my carb is as follows:
125 main jet
65s slow jet
needle with only 2 clip positions, clip on bottom slot (don't know the #)

I replaced all this with:
175 main jet
68s slow jet
B53E comp needle (clip in middle position)

I was mainly just curious why the stock parts on my bike weren't matching what I've read about.

Anyone out there with an 07 that has the same carb guts as mine?

ok...got an XRR carb & throttle assembly off fleabay...

i'm got a little project to put an XRR carb on my XRL...

the needle B53D(stock) has five clip positions...was 2nd position from the top moved it to the 3rd

slow jet(pilot) is a 65s...stock

main jet 125 :thumbsup: wonder if it will be too lean for an XRL??? ...did they really sell them set-up this lean???

currently with the stock XRL carb running a 160 main and 55 pilot.

....the caeb was advertized as a 2000 model

the plot thickens...:rant:

:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.