Increasing percieved bulb output on BD kit

3 replies to this topic
  • sj269

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:44 PM

Has anyone ever tried to scrape the coating off the tip of a headlight bulb to increase its output? I can't think why the manufacturers coat the tips in an opaque coating. I realize you could possibly compromise the bulb, but do you all think it would work if I was careful? Im gonna try it.
I have a 650R with a BD kit and a 35w headlight bulb and was going to upgrade to a 55w, think Ill try this too.

• philipstjohn

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:11 AM

Has anyone ever tried to scrape the coating off the tip of a headlight bulb to increase its output? I can't think why the manufacturers coat the tips in an opaque coating. I realize you could possibly compromise the bulb, but do you all think it would work if I was careful? Im gonna try it.
I have a 650R with a BD kit and a 35w headlight bulb and was going to upgrade to a 55w, think Ill try this too.

Running the 55w in a BD's kit will drain the battery. The best bang for the buck for higher light output is to rewind the stator, then install a PIAA 80/80w bulb in the BD's lense. Then, if needed you can upgrade your lighting at anytime. :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:45 AM

+1 ^^^

I tried running the 55w bulb w/stock stator w/BD kit. In no time the horn or blinkers didnt work due to drainage. I agree w/Phillipstjohn, either rewind stator, or just get a replacement stator. The Moose unit I got is 200w or 100w x2.

• absynth01

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Put a 200w ricky on my XR 600R and solved mt B/D kit problems. I added two 35w wide beams and helped. Running a 100W bulb in the L, and that is 5X the 600R's lights. It is not as trail worthy, but it is bright!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.