Decompression plug

11 replies to this topic
  • yz4fun

Posted February 03, 2008 - 02:08 PM

Will the same decompression plug fit a 04 YZ 450F M.C & YFZ 450 Quad ??? I cant find any info on the bike,Just the quad.BTW the Thumper talk store wont let me choose a color for their Decompression plug,so therefor it will not let me order the plug.. Whats up with that????:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:00 PM

The answer to your first question is yes, the same plug will fit.

As to your second question, there looks to be a problem with the web page. I'd suggest calling your order in so that one of the guys at the store can get you what you need.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yes. It will fit the quad. You can choose from clear anodized, clear anodized or clear anodized. We used to sell the blue and red, but the demand was pretty low, so we simplified and settled on a single color.

• yz4fun

Posted February 03, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys,i will call & order one,clear anodized is just fine.:busted:

• Brian Wilson

Posted February 04, 2008 - 09:12 AM

Actually, it appears that we have sold out of them.

Due to lack of demand because they are not required on the new bikes, we decided to discontinue them once the last of our inventory sold out.

As of now, they are sold out and we will not be making anymore.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2008 - 09:24 AM

Well, then, let me suggest an alternative: an 18mm brass or steel cup plug (freeze plug, expansion plug) from an auto parts store will do the job inexpensively, and much more dependably than the OEM plug. They are a little more difficult to install, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Sorry for the incorrect info! I knew that we were discontinuing them, but I thought we still had some left! Thx for setting me straight BW...

• Markopolo400

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...Q2em118Q2el1247

• yz4fun

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:06 PM

Where do i find info about installing the brass
or steel plugs that u refer to???Question

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:23 AM

The ideal thing would be to remove the right radiator so that you have a straight shot at the bore. Then select a punch, a piece of rod, an old bolt, a deep socket, or just about anything the will fit into the cup of the plug. It should be nearly as large as the biggest diameter that will fit, but it needs some clearance, too, because the cup will be compressed radially as it goes into the bore, and if your selected driver fits too tightly, it will get stuck in the plug as it "shrinks".

Use a little bit of a good sealant (I recommend #3 Permatex. Don't use RTV silicon or Teflon pipe sealant) position the plug in the bore and drive it into place as straight as you can, stopping when it comes up flush with the bore face, or bottoms out, whichever comes first.

Alternatively, if you own a big set of Channel-Lock type water pump pliers, and have good strong grip, you can use a short socket and the pliers as shown in the picture here. Remember, the plugs cost under $2 each, if you jack one up, just try again.

Posted Image

• yz4fun

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:21 PM

thanks a million for your info on the brass plug fix Greyracer,I found a decom plug on ebay so problem solved.Ordered today. Thanks Dan.:busted:

• Wiz636

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:36 AM

Check with Vibeguy...it appears that he is the one that makes (made) them.

http://www.thumperta...796#post5872796

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.