WR 426 Lighting

8 replies to this topic
  • dac1970

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:11 AM

I am interested in improving the lighting on my 02 WR 426. I have gotten conflicting stories about wattage out put. What will the stator put out and how much light can I safely run? I would like to install a Baja Design Dual 8" set up.

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:29 AM

You cannot run Dual HID or H4's, even with a modded stator on a WR. Additionally this is not a jetting question.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted February 03, 2008 - 09:11 AM

moved to the correct forum.

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 01:47 PM

Take a read at the BD web site. They list the max wattage your bike is capable of.

Of course, anything is possible, esp. if money is no pbject.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted February 03, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I am interested in improving the lighting on my 02 WR 426. I have gotten conflicting stories about wattage out put. What will the stator put out and how much light can I safely run? I would like to install a Baja Design Dual 8" set up.

The output of your stator is 120 watts (I've seen 125 listed in some places). I'm sure you can safely get away with an 80 watt bulb. Any higher and you might start having heat related issues with the stock headlight.

You cannot run Dual HID or H4's, even with a modded stator on a WR. Additionally this is not a jetting question.

Apparently you can. BD sells a compact charging system that allows you run a HID on an AC only bike with a stong enough stator (which the 02 WR has). For a cheaper alternative, you can just run the BD halogen 8". The 8" with an 80 watt halogen bulb should give you a tremendous improvement.

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 02:55 PM

He is asking about running duals. Each HID needs 80 watts to start, and 35 to run.

• SXP

Posted February 03, 2008 - 02:57 PM

running duals

I missed that!

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:32 PM

Your WR should be able to run dual HIDs, though you will probably need a pretty good NiCad or NiMH battery pack at full charge to light the ballasts.

Scott (www.overthebarsgang.com) runs an 8 inch HID with two batteries, but no bike stator (a total loss system). He uses two batteries to ignite then disconnects one and runs the light off the other. I think he gets about an hour of light time.

• William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:53 AM

LOL, well, with a total loss system, you can run any lights you want!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.