No compression or Very little

4 replies to this topic
  • gio

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:27 PM

Heys Guys

I just changed the head gasket on my YZ400 and now that its all together i have no compression or very little. I checked the timing numerous times and it matches the specs in the manual. I not sure what i did wrong. Could it be something simple like the decompression shaft. I did not adjust the valve clearances as they were ok. The timing marks on the cam are spot on but once i put the tensioner on it pulls it very slightly off, is this normal.
Need help as to possible causes, hoping its something simple that i have forgot.
I have the cam marks lined up as E-I E-I, when the timing mark is on the I on the crankshft. I just read another post i may have put them on the exhaust stroke. I did not change the base gasket and the valve clearances were only just done.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2008 - 11:14 PM

Could it be something simple like the decompression shaft. ...The timing marks on the cam are spot on but once i put the tensioner on it pulls it very slightly off, is this normal.
I just read another post i may have put them on the exhaust stroke.

Check for free play the compression release. The cams will never line up totally perfectly, but the question is, if you move the cams one way or other, will they be closer to perfect, or farther from it?

Without the cams, there is no difference between one TDC and the other, so it's impossible to have them "on the wrong stroke".

You either have a tight compression release, a worn, bent, sticking or tight valve. or leaking rings, simple as that. Have a shop do a leak down test.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gio

Posted February 03, 2008 - 12:29 AM

I just checked the cams again, the timing is ok. It had plenty of compression before i pulled it apart and the valve clearances were only just done. By me pulling the head off this shouldn't affect the rings if they were fine before, is this correct. Whilst installing the head one or two of the shims fell out i'm now wondering if i put them in the wrong way. Are the shims on the same size for each side (exhaust), or are they different for each valve.

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 05:56 AM

Shims are different for each valve. You swap them for different thickness ones to change the valve clearances. You need to check the valve clearances, and play "musical shims" to find out where each one belongs.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2008 - 10:29 AM

The shims are marked, although yo may need to take them into direct sunlight in order to read them, or resort to a micrometer. But, as William says, each one is different, because the shims are the part that is used to adjust the valve. Start by checking the valve clearance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.