Best suspension shop for 08 YZ450F?

37 replies to this topic
  • walent215

Posted February 05, 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks gray....

So for the guys who are under/over the target range, would it be best to revalve and respring? Or could you get away with just respringing it to your weight? thanks

i would try to respring it first and work with it a while.then when it comes time to service it you can think about a revalve since it will already be coming apart anyway.oh and by the way,mb1 does great work,they reworked my old kawi and it was great for moto.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:36 AM

I would agree with that in the case of the newer YZ450's. The stock supension is very good, and I know of two individuals who went to heavier springs because of their weight who both said that the suspension works far better now then it did.

If you're above the weight range, you know you need springs, so there's no downside to just trying that first.

• Wiz636

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Thanks gray....

So for the guys who are under/over the target range, would it be best to revalve and respring? Or could you get away with just respringing it to your weight? thanks

Getting the correct springs for your weight is the first step (and most important IMO). Then you can decide if you need a revalve. All the revalving in the world won't work if the springs are not right for your weight.

I run stock suspension on my '06...have not needed to revalve. I am 175 w/o gear and ride fast offroad. The '06 KYB stuff is awesome.

• DPW

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:08 PM

If you're above the weight range, you know you need springs, so there's no downside to just trying that first.

What weight range is the '08 built for?

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2008 - 07:42 PM

YZ's have traditionally been targeted to riders weighing between 170 and 190 without gear. According to Race Tech, the rear spring on the '08 suits this range, but the fork springs are more fit to a heavier rider.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 25, 2008 - 05:16 AM

Unless you are a beginner rider...which no one admits to, you do not need anything except to get used to the bike stock.
If you are a intermediate/novice rider, which most admit to, spring your bike for your weight. See race Tech or other spring guides or a Suspension Tuner.
Once you get used to and max out the stock valving - which is not hard to do if you progress(get faster/more aggressive) as you ride, then consider a revalve.
FC ENZO etc...all do good work. I prefer using local Tuners that can customize the valving for me....All the others that you send off to - use a general stack that is made for the masses with little to no rider customization. Please do not think because some PRORider has Enzo or FC or MB1 that you are getting the same or even near the same valving........You are NOT!
I am not saying this is bad, I am saying that my preference is local service and when I need something changed or modified for my personal taste, I do not have to pack , insure and ship my suspension across the country, this is very costly. I have done it both ways, and yes my local Tuner does as well and IMO a better job for me than FC or Enzo.....a lot of Tuners use the Enzo and FC spec to start with also fyi...This is my preference and if you are lucky enough to live in close proximity of any of the big suspension tuners....then you are lucky also.

• racer 813

Posted March 25, 2008 - 08:11 AM

Has anybody tried the settings for Europe in the manual (stock suspension) they seem stiffer and slower? They are much diff than standard settings (08)bike

• YZ450Fahk

Posted March 25, 2008 - 09:27 AM

FC MODS - www.fatcuzmods.com

Cody put new springs in my bike and revalved it. He also revalved my buddy's 2006 YZ450f. Its a one man shop here in South Dakota. He wrenched on a few of the Pro's bikes for years.

His prices can't be beat, and he's a super kool honest guy. His number is 605-376-7171.

• yamasaki

Posted March 25, 2008 - 11:49 AM

i'm 200 w/out gear and i just had mine resprung w/Factory Connection springs about 2 weeks ago.... WOW... i'm not the most detail oriented guy in the world.. i cant tell you about midstroke or harsh or choppy or if its diving or whatever.. what i can tell you is now when i turn the handlebars, it goes where i point it!

i never had complaints about my suspension before, but i didnt know what i was missing now that i had it resprung/serviced.

suspension, imho, is the one most critical mod you can do to your bike.... i'm on an 06 yz450f

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bkklett

Posted April 01, 2008 - 01:15 PM

I have used MX-Tech for my 03. I also had a 86 kx250, I had to go to another company for that.

• DPW

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:34 AM

i'm 200 w/out gear and i just had mine resprung w/Factory Connection springs about 2 weeks ago....

What rate springs did you go with?

What is the stock rear shock spring rate on the '08 ? The manual claims 5.5 for the shock and RacTech says 5.3..:prof:

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:09 AM

What rate springs did you go with?

What is the stock rear shock spring rate on the '08 ? The manual claims 5.5 for the shock and RacTech says 5.3..:prof:

I thought the spring rates for the '08 rear were supposed to be higher because of the new linkage. Is that backward?

• wolfie12

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:40 PM

If memory serves, my 08 comes with the one pink mark on the shock, or 5.5

• rmzRacer293

Posted April 03, 2008 - 04:46 AM

I weigh 150 without gear and am a faster 250C racer. Should I just get some new springs for it and try it out?

• angrybob

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:39 AM

Heh - I bought an '06 off of a kid who weighs 140lbs MAX. I rode it once and it was a total stiff pogo stick - rebound & damping turned off :prof:. I decided to service the internal and external fork oils and to my surprise, I pulled out .48 springs. I am 170lbs and it was killing me.

The guy that was helping me happened to have a pair of stock springs on hand. So much better...

I am still playing with the settings, but as a decent weekend warrior off-road guy, I doubt that I will get it revalved any time soon.

The lesson here is that you never know what you are going to get with a new (to you) used bike.

• BBrown626

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:46 AM

Changing the springs is very easy on these bikes. Just get the Tusk cap wrench from RockyMountain. Aside from that, no special tools are necessary. Springs, a liter of 5w fork oil and ride! Disassemble the fork to the point where you remove the spring then skip to the point of putting the spring back in.
If you just want to throw money at your forks, get the RG3 decals. They look cool and your friends will be impressed. I am very happy with the stock forks.

• chan470

Posted April 03, 2008 - 02:12 PM

ridered22:

since your in ky look at http://www.suspensionplus.com. I have had all my suspension work done by Billy with excellent results. If you race any of the ky state series tracks he will be there for race support also. Very handy when a problem arises on race day. I highly recommend him!!:prof:

• ridered22

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Hey thanks for the reply for suspension plus. Years ago when I was racing full time, Billy at suspension plus actually gave me a sponsorship and helped me out with my bikes. I have ridden several suspension companies over the years have found some I like and others I wasn't too impressed. I have an 07 that has Enzo on it and it is really nice so I think I might go that route.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.