Help on Thumpertalk AIS removal kit for 07 model?

19 replies to this topic
  • steverad1

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hello All,

I ordered the Thumpertalk AIS removal kit for my new 2007 WR450. I'm installing this morning.

I don't know whether I have a problem or not. The plug that you are supposed to tap in to the head on the inside of the motor seems to have gone in real easily. I didn't have to hit it at all - it just pushed in. Now that it is in I can actually spin it with my finger. I can't pull it out with my finger. I have some high temp RTV sealant on it. Don't know if maybe it's creating a lubricating effect. I am assuming this is some kind of input port. Maybe there is a vacuum created there and it will keep the plug from coming out in the dirt.

Has anyone installed this kit? Do you think I have a problem?

Thanks,

Steve

• CORider63

Posted February 02, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Houston, we have a problem...

I installed the ThumperTalk AIS Removal Kit on my '07 WR-450 (Naturally, for closed course racing only) and it was a very snug fit. It took a fairly good rap with a small mallet to fully seat it.

It's possible that your plug may be undersized. :busted:

• William1

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:29 AM

When I installed the plug on my new WR, it fell in too. No carbon build up in the port. If you have a bunch of hours on the bike, the build up will make it a little more difficult to get in and the occasional use of a precision persuader is needed

• CORider63

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Mine had about one hour on it when I installed the kit.

• steverad1

Posted February 02, 2008 - 11:21 AM

Is it staying in OK for you?

• William1

Posted February 02, 2008 - 01:30 PM

Not a problem after 3 hours of run time for me.

• CORider63

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Is it staying in OK for you?

It has not moved at all after most of a season of running.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:51 PM

Thats wierd, I thought it would have come with a block off plate instead of a plug :busted:

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 08, 2008 - 09:46 AM

I just got mine today and it has a plate with two holes,a small plug and a black rubber cap. Did the others here have the same contents? Plate looks as though it should have two screws to hold it in but I haven't tried to install it yet.

• Traskrider

Posted March 08, 2008 - 12:17 PM

I just got done doing all the mods on my 07 Wr450 and the kit I got for it was a GYTR kit from dealer, it didnt come with a block off plate i had to fabricate one out of the plate that is allready on it by cutting the AIS tube and blocking the hole off with a weld then bolting it right back on. Kit # GYT-5TJ93-69-01. Runs great now !!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:02 PM

I just got done doing all the mods on my 07 Wr450 and the kit I got for it was a GYTR kit from dealer, it didnt come with a block off plate i had to fabricate one out of the plate that is allready on it by cutting the AIS tube and blocking the hole off with a weld then bolting it right back on. Kit # GYT-5TJ93-69-01. Runs great now !!

I just did the same thing, but no welder, so I filled the pipe with hi temp silicone and crimped the end. Works perfect.:thumbsup:

• 2lcf

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:09 PM

My GYTR kit came with the block off plate I just bolted it inplace of the AIS air tube.................some one must have grabbed yours, cause my kit fits 07 and 08.........:thumbsup:

• KennyMc

Posted March 08, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Mine came with the block-off plate. Here is a scan of the part list.

Posted Image

• Asgeir

Posted March 09, 2008 - 03:34 AM

Why take the AIS off if it has no performance gain ?

• CORider63

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Why take the AIS off if it has no performance gain ?

1. Weight
2. More plumbing to work around.
3. Additional points of failure.
4. Makes fine-tuning the jetting a little more difficult.
5. Because it's there.

• 2lcf

Posted March 09, 2008 - 10:59 AM

1. Weight
2. More plumbing to work around.
3. Additional points of failure.
4. Makes fine-tuning the jetting a little more difficult.
5. Because it's there.

And because we are rebelling against the "MAN", who tells us where and when to ride.....:eek: .......and what we can have on our bikes.......:thumbsup: :D

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:02 PM

5. Because it's there.

:thumbsup:

HAHAHAHA thats great.

I've heard the hypothesis from many people that its there because the intake and combustion of the air fuel mix is not that efficient. However, because these things pass the CO and HC standards by such a large margin I am almost certain they'd pass without the pump

• kevinwr450f

Posted March 10, 2008 - 04:31 PM

It will also backfire on decel after re-jetting.

• Himsa123

Posted December 18, 2008 - 06:19 AM

It will also backfire on decel after re-jetting.

That being said, after i installed my fmf slip on i got that pop on decel. i plan to remove ais this weekend. my question is with that get rid of it or will i need to do some jetting?

• William1

Posted December 18, 2008 - 06:46 AM

Any time you have a more open pipe, decel popping will be more apparent. A quiet susytem still pops, only the muffler tends to absorb it. Sometimes, opening the fuel scre a half a turn or so will reduce it. Often a change in needle is required. You'd want to richen the needle on the straight diameter, the part that affects from just off of idle to 1/4 throttle. For example, if your bike has an NYR needle, you'd want NYQ or NYP needle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.