Attn: Racers Only

10 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted February 01, 2008 - 07:22 PM

hey guys... i just got hit up by my buddies about running the 24 Hours of Glen Helen this year and wanted some input on how to prepare my 07 for it. all of the mods are done to it so no worries there just wondering if there are any other tips or words of advise to keep my bike together for 24 hours and if there are anything you guys have experianced in racing that i'll need to watch for.

Thanks,
Darrel
TJC Racing:ride:

• redswr

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:57 PM

ok... anyone have tips? anyone every ridden there bike close to this hard?

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:25 PM

I have done a couple 24 hour events...

You are teaming or Ironman?

If teaming are you all riding one bike or to each his own?

What is the terrain like?

The 24 hour events I have ran are in the tightest most technical single track we have in western WA, extremely demanding on the bike with alot of square edges, rocks, roots, etc... lighting was not that big of an issue here, I ran the stock headlight with a cyclops 50W halogen head lamp and this system worked really well for this event. My biggest bitches were Monkey Butt at about 3 AM, (I ride alot but when you get that tired and the terrain is that tough, your ass takes a beating) and flat tires, I had a front and a rear flat last time... I would have given my left nut for a spare set of wheels and tires but while my team mates were out I had a few hours to fix them but it was late at night and was whupped busting the tires down to replace tubes took away sleep and energy :worthy: ....

I was supposed to do the 24 hours of Starvation Ridge last year but I broke my foot right before, someone took my spot on the team and I offered up my bike because he had a MX bike without lights. This race is more of GP in the wide open lands of eastern washington... here it's ALL ABOUT LIGHTS! The speeds are fast enuf that you will easily outrun the stock headlight and halogen helmet light, the set up for this is HID. Do a search in this forum to see what guys are doing for HID setups on their WR's. Same things apply for Monkey Butt and flat tires..

Other than that, make sure you have fresh oil in the motor, spare air filters, HD tubes and good tires, good set of tools and miscellaneous single points of failure..(tubes, tires, levers, cables, masterlink, etc...) if you go to the northwest forum and search 24hours or 25 hours of Starvation Ridge, guys have posted lists of things they have loaded for the race...:busted:

I over hydrated last time, it was really hot and I drank to much water in 24 hours, I was puking before my last lap of the day but it was worth it, we won our class:thumbsup:

• simica

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I've done two 6hr. GP's at Glen Helen on my '05 WR and one 24 hr. GP using a CRF for the day bike and a stock TTR 250 for the night bike (never again). You or your team need to have good help in the pits and spare parts ready to swap out if you need them. Try to use a separate bike for the night riding, but you don't need the expensive landing lights like the pro teams use. Helmet lights are nice too.

Check your valves and start with fresh synthetic oil and have at least four
Ready Filters and a spare filter cage to make air filter changes quick. Also a spare set of wheels, levers and other spare parts.

What DON said about Hydrating is important. Even though a team can have five riders for the 24 hr race, alot of riders get sick during this demanding race and losing just one rider can tax any team. The race organizers don't make an easy course just because its a 24 hr. race.

Make it a big event with family and friends watching and helping and you will have fun. During the race, you'll say "never again", but when its over, you'll say "lets do it again next year".

• Red_Barney

Posted February 03, 2008 - 07:53 PM

If teaming are you all riding one bike or to each his own? If you can use more then one bike this is best, make sure you have extra lights, tubes and air filters. Make sure all bikes are raced prepped, new oil, clean air filters, good tires for the terrain. Have good lights, both for the bike and helmet.

Drink lots of water and eat before you get hunger. Have extra gear and lots of spare gloves. Baby powder works for the monkey butt and works well in the gloves as well.

I have been on three 24 hour teams; won the class once, got third and finished mid pack. On the teams that did well everybody carried there own weight, this means a lot at 0300 hrs. We set out to have fun and everything fell into place. Don't get hang up on lap times just be ready for the next rider switch. Remember it is a long race and you can't win at the start but you can sure loose it.

Good luck and have fun!

Whoop

Paul

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redswr

Posted February 03, 2008 - 10:39 PM

ok... thanks guys :busted: looks like we are going to use 2 bikes after all (KXF250 and my Wr) we'll use my bike during the night since i have a light. there are 4 of us all together and we have now decided to first run the 6hr race in march to prep for the 24hr. we are going to have (2) 2 man teams and just use one bike each.

the course is mostly groomed track (correct me if i'm wrong simica) but it's opened up to a 10 mile loop with alot of hills and flat desert. pretty sure there isn't gonna be any tight stuff but i've never ridden down there.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:29 AM

the course is mostly groomed track (correct me if i'm wrong simica) but it's opened up to a 10 mile loop with alot of hills and flat desert. pretty sure there isn't gonna be any tight stuff but i've never ridden down there.

I'd seriously consider an HID light modification, your WR headlight will not be sufficient. :busted:

• Red_Barney

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:34 PM

I'd seriously consider an HID light modification, your WR headlight will not be sufficient. :busted:

Listen to Don! The WR headlight is not enough at race speeds. Good luck and have fun.

Paul

• simica

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:44 PM

Glen Helen has alot of property that most people don't see unless they do a District 37 GP or an endurance GP there.* They will use both mx tracks, both ridge lines, the flat sections near the Sheriff's EVOC facility, and single track to take you back to the pavillion area where you could do some asphalt riding (speeds up to 80+mph).* The single track is usually wide enough for quads, but I've have done a few tighter trails there as well.Good idea to do the six hour race.* I may also.* There is also a Big Six GP there first weekend in March, I'll be there.* There are also SRA GP's there once a month.* Even though these races are shorter, you will be more familiar with the different sections when the 24hr. comes around.Good Luck.

• redswr

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:48 PM

yeah... i was supposed to do the GP there last year but didn't get the chance to. my buddy on the quad rode it though so hopefully he remembers it...

• drzjay400e

Posted February 05, 2008 - 05:29 PM

My advice is stay higrated and your chin strap tight. Oh and have fun too:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.