I like my smog pump

31 replies to this topic
  • bigredpig

Posted February 01, 2008 - 10:58 PM

smog pump is that the thing that slows my throttle response? I need to put that back on I think it just fell off.

• Denn10

Posted February 01, 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thats a direct violation of ThumperTalk forum rules, and you will be sited for it! This is not a "for sale" forum, take that elsewhere.... :busted:

THANK YOU MR VIOLATION PATROL, CITE ME AND WRITE ME A TICKET!!! ITS A JOKE CALM DOWN JR!!!!!!!!:worthy:

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:21 AM

Lets cram some exhuast gasses down your throat and see how you function:p

• lhark

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:39 AM

Smog pumps for everyone......can I offer one for free, without violating the rules? I often wondered how the environment gets a break, when all these things do is pump air and trick the sniffers. Kinda like carbon credits.....oops, more political comments in the wrong forum.

• Bibleman

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:02 AM

Just curious, I thought the air being pumped back into the exhaust is supposed to actually finish burning unburned fuel residue while still in the exhaust. If this is the case it actually would be reducing emissions, no? FYI, my smog pump is long gone:prof:

• Agent2

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:16 AM

I like my smog pump - it makes a good doorstop.
To each their own....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuklehead

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:20 AM

You can hop on a jet airplane 24/7/365 (? what do they put out) you can hop in your truck 24/7/365(how many cyl,putting out what) you can hop in your car same, your boat same,big rig,train, all 24/7/365.BUT here in CALIF.I can't do the same on my little cr250 or my crf250.Seem's a little silly. But like I said I'm OK for you to be GREEN'r if that make's you feel like a better person.I'll be green with other thing's just not with my dirt biking.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, this planet sucks anyway...GO HUMANS!!! I'm movin me, my yacht, and my Hummer H2 somewhere else.

Just curious, I thought the air being pumped back into the exhaust is supposed to actually finish burning unburned fuel residue while still in the exhaust. If this is the case it actually would be reducing emissions, no? FYI, my smog pump is long gone:prof:

That sounds more likely. I think I'll just have to get on the horn with a Honda tech and get some input.

• Frank ZX

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, this planet sucks anyway...GO HUMANS!!! I'm movin me, my yacht, and my Hummer H2 somewhere else.

That sounds more likely. I think I'll just have to get on the horn with a Honda tech and get some input.

Please tell me you were kidding about driving a Hummer?If so,your lame ass has no right bitching about people taking there smog pump off!I drive a '06 Toyota Corrola 5 speed
that gets 40MPG when I'm not riding my bike that I took my smog pump off.
It cracks me up that some people are so smart in there writing,but are the BIGGEST dumb asses when it comes to common sence.
Sorry,I had to vent!:busted:

• cleonard

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:24 AM

OR better yet if your so "environmentally friendly" Why not challenge the other 49 states that seem to do their own thing? the pollution, if even that much, that a motorcycle puts out into this world is on a very small scale compared to the rest of the worlds engines, factories, chemicals.

As momma always told you "its not always what you say its how you say it too" Better choice of words or just a plain "Hello my name is Slim Shady" first will be a great start.

NOW who wants my smog pump??? $50 first come first get!!!

Um, the other 49 states get the 2008 California smog standards for motorcycles in 2010. So don't worry, they are getting it all.

Thats a direct violation of ThumperTalk forum rules, and you will be sited for it! This is not a "for sale" forum, take that elsewhere.... :busted:

THANK YOU MR VIOLATION PATROL, CITE ME AND WRITE ME A TICKET!!! ITS A JOKE CALM DOWN JR!!!!!!!!:worthy:

Um, Denn I think that was a joke off of your joke. At least that is how I read it. Besides the only one we have to worry about is the "man", aka Martinfan30. Is he asleep at the switch on this thread? (OK that was a lame attempt at a joke on my part.)

I used to buy into the dilution thing. However, in order to really dilute the exhaust it would have to pump a good percentage of the volume of the exhaust. That tiny pump can't put out much volume. Therefore it I feel that it must do some "burning" even though the 650L doesn't have a cat. A few biles like the Husky 610 do have a cat. Still I really doubt the air pump does a whole lot for the overall amount of combustion related emissions.

If you want to save some emissions leave the vapor recovery system in place. Those emissions occur 24/7 even when the bike is parked.

Do any of the emissions equipment on the 650L have a real negative impact to performance? It's not like the WR450 that has a throttle stop at 3/4 opening.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:38 AM

Please tell me you were kidding about driving a Hummer?If so,your lame ass has no right bitching about people taking there smog pump off!

I do not own a Hummer...nor do I own a yacht. I'm no Jesus either. :busted: I'm just giving a voice to those whose primary concern isn't maximum performance at whatever cost. Sure, bikes aren't a big smog contributer (that's one big reason I love them)...but why vote either, right?...what difference does one persons actions on the small scale really make?

Honestly, I'd just like to know (and there seem to be a few conflicting views on the subject) how exactly the smog pump works, and what amount of impact does it have on emissions? It's good to know these things when getting ambitious with a wrench.

So far I'm sold on the "injecting fresh air to help burn off unused fuel in the exhaust" idea. That explains the popping after big throttle. That would mean that the difference in emissions was just carbon gas rather than straight fuel being ejected from the pipe. Funny, I've found countless other forums from car and motorcycle enthusiasts alike that are actually trying to get their exhausts do that piercing POP POP. Apparently they love it.

• martinfan30

Posted February 02, 2008 - 08:11 AM

Sorry I missed all the fun, had bowling league last night:cheers:.

Any way, this thing is way out of control. I'm not even going to waste time handing out the individual infractions that probably should be so its just going to stop.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.