I like my smog pump

31 replies to this topic
  • cornelieaz

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:44 PM

So I've searched and read, and searched and read some more, and it seems that no one has stopped to think that maybe the smog control on the XR650L is a good thing. I personally really like the high quality of air I breath in Northern AZ and am all too familiar with the southern California experience. For what little performance/weight difference the thing makes...I'm leavin it on. It's nice to know that I own a smarter bike...the kind of thinking that separates us now from the 1920's...the same thinking that had people chain smoking because it looked cool and made them feel like heros without regard for the pollution it stuck in their body's. Who gives a @#$% about aesthetics. Dual sports are ugly bikes anyway, but I love em. This bikes a blast.

• Denn10

Posted February 01, 2008 - 05:18 PM

First post on TT and you have to come in with a kinda insulting post to people that take their smog pump off??? GOOD GOD what in the world were you smoking to think this up for a first post??? NOT even a HELLO and Welcome from??

:busted:

• knuklehead

Posted February 01, 2008 - 05:28 PM

TWISTED view compairing smoking to pulling off the smog pump on a dirt bike, but OK for you.

• jdubb75

Posted February 01, 2008 - 05:33 PM

oh boy...here it comes. :busted:

• Maroast

Posted February 01, 2008 - 05:52 PM

:busted: :worthy: :ride: :blah: :blah: :cry: :eek: :D :D :busted: :cheers: :crazy: :crazy: :smirk: :ride:

First post and you bring that kind of talk into a 600+cc dirt bike forum :eek: :eek:

Dual sports are ugly bikes anyway

---> yes, your L is pretty ugly! shuda got n' R!

Welcome!

• husky123

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:05 PM

:busted: asshat.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:34 PM

That was maybe a bad move on my part. I love this site...love all you wonderful knowledge givers out there...priceless. I've learned much here. Let me try again...

I love the bikes...the fun factor, the gas mileage, the contribution to less traffic, the lower emissions (than alot of stuff out there). I've spent hours trying to find out if the XR650L was a "dirtier" running bike and therefore needed the emissions control to get back down to par with the rest of the market, or if the emissions control took it a step above the rest on the clean scale (honorable). All anybody seems to talk about is why the devise sucks. I understand why removing it is a good thing in alot of ways, but I didn't think any of those reasons were good enough to justify spitting more crap into the air. If the bike runs much cleaner than others in it's class and removing the emissions gear just puts it even with the standard, then Lord knows I'll be out there with two little plates and a wrench and one less funny looking thing on the side of the engine. What do you guys think?...where does the XR650L land in stock form? How much of a difference does the devise actually make anyway? Seems like the recycled exhaust that gets shot back into the carb would just cut down on gas burning efficiency and therefor mileage as well...hence the popping exhaust?

I'm a little torn....and perhaps frustrated from so much forum searching.

• lhark

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:48 PM

Why are you riding in the first place? If it's to save fuel, then you have a point. If you are truly concerned about the air, then you could never ride for FUN. Any fuel burned for the sake of fun, would be counterproductive to air quality, wouldn't it? Burning gas for the hell of it? Are you insane?

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:55 PM

Yeah.... Only problem is that the "smog pump" is nothing more than an air pump. All you are effectively doing is diluting the exhaust with fresh air as to fool the tail pipe sniffer into thinking you are burning clean. Same idea as the 70's and 80's cars with "smog pumps" or the 08 diesel pickups and their funny looking exhaust tips that serve to dilute the exhaust gases.

If anything you are really just using more fuel with the pump in place than with it removed. It is when you go and jump up 4 jet sizes that your emissions are increase due to more fuel being burned.

• Maroast

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:58 PM

If you have the time and the money you may be able to investigate this, and I'm sure many people on the board would be interested in the results (i know I would be)...

See if you can find a garage who will do an emissions test on your bike with the pump on. Then remove all that crap and tune the carb so that its not running real lean, then have the emissions tested again.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find the EPAs acceptable values for emissions, in addition to the Euro values.

You can compare these results to dyno runs and determine wether the performance gain (and seat of the pants gain) of pulling the smog-pump off is an eco-friendly venture.

This could be a real interesting (and different) thread. :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryanthegreat1

Posted February 01, 2008 - 07:02 PM

How much of a difference does the devise actually make anyway? Seems like the recycled exhaust that gets shot back into the carb would just cut down on gas burning efficiency and therefor mileage as well...hence the popping exhaust?

Reading owns me.

Anyway the "smog pump" does not recycle exhaust gases that would be an EGR valve. EGR is entirely different and does produce some results but they are only operated in a narrow rpm range and the 650L does not poses one.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 01, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Yeah.... Only problem is that the "smog pump" is nothing more than an air pump. All you are effectively doing is diluting the exhaust with fresh air as to fool the tail pipe sniffer into thinking you are burning clean.

Are we sure about this? EGR valve...interesting. If that is the case....that is soooo lame. That would mean that the bike is putting out the same junk just at a slower rate...kinda like the difference between drinking 6 shots or a 6-pack of watered down beer...same amount in the end.

So no help to the environment then? Just a means of packing fresh air into the emissions sniffer...in essence taking air, filtering it, bypassing the cylinder and cramming it back out the tailpipe unaffected? Clever. I may be becoming a convert.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 01, 2008 - 07:27 PM

If you have the time and the money you may be able to investigate this, and I'm sure many people on the board would be interested in the results (i know I would be)...

See if you can find a garage who will do an emissions test on your bike with the pump on. Then remove all that crap and tune the carb so that its not running real lean, then have the emissions tested again.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find the EPAs acceptable values for emissions, in addition to the Euro values.

You can compare these results to dyno runs and determine wether the performance gain (and seat of the pants gain) of pulling the smog-pump off is an eco-friendly venture.

This could be a real interesting (and different) thread. :busted:

I like the way you think. That would be some valuable information. I'll look into it.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:33 PM

Yeah.... Only problem is that the "smog pump" is nothing more than an air pump. All you are effectively doing is diluting the exhaust with fresh air as to fool the tail pipe sniffer into thinking you are burning clean. Same idea as the 70's and 80's cars with "smog pumps" or the 08 diesel pickups and their funny looking exhaust tips that serve to dilute the exhaust gases.

If anything you are really just using more fuel with the pump in place than with it removed. It is when you go and jump up 4 jet sizes that your emissions are increase due to more fuel being burned.

Actually, the reasons the 08's have those weird tailpipes is to cool the exhaust as it comes out. The new diesels have to burn the carbon out of the DPF's, so they do so with whats called a 'hot' cycle where the engine runs extremely hot. The engines run so hot, that if someone were to walk by the tailpipe, the exhaust would actually burn them. So, the funny tips function to bring in cooler outside air to cool the exhaust before it actually goes out the exhaust.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Good to know. I was wondering about those. I knew they did the particulate reburn thing but just figured the funny tail pipe was to cheat emissions a little. Nothing like a pickup truck shooting fire out the exhaust. :busted:

• Winkel

Posted February 01, 2008 - 09:27 PM

Guys,

Isn't that the point of this forum? The chance to voice your opinion? He's not insulting pictures of your wife. He just chooses to be a little greener. I have an XR650R uncorked, dual sported and love it. If he likes his L with the smog pump on, so what? Lighten up. Drink a beer. Find something more significant to worry about. At least he's riding RED!!! Rock on GREEN RED RIDER!!

Winkel

• XR680RR

Posted February 01, 2008 - 09:46 PM

If you want to be green, don't ride! It is real funny that we chose how green each other needs to be? The smog stuff has no barring on air quality!!!! None! If you were not riding in the first place or stopped ridding a half hour earlier? Or maybe you just didn't open the bike all the way up down that dirt road? How about the dust that someone else has to breath? If I don't cut my grass this week I can ride an etra hour at Uncorked full power! I take beanO so I don't fart and that way I can ride an extra five minutes. kinda strange that after the first rain the is no smog at all.

• Maroast

Posted February 01, 2008 - 09:51 PM

Guys,
Isn't that the point of this forum? The chance to voice your opinion? He's not insulting pictures of your wife. He just chooses to be a little greener. I have an XR650R uncorked, dual sported and love it. If he likes his L with the smog pump on, so what? Lighten up. Drink a beer. Find something more significant to worry about. At least he's riding RED!!! Rock on GREEN RED RIDER!!
Winkel

Sure, people are encouraged to voice an opinion....but to come into an internet forum with fighting words on your first post is bound to elicit a few negative response..... anyway, were already beyond it, its turned into a real discussion now :busted:

• Denn10

Posted February 01, 2008 - 10:38 PM

OR better yet if your so "environmentally friendly" Why not challenge the other 49 states that seem to do their own thing? the pollution, if even that much, that a motorcycle puts out into this world is on a very small scale compared to the rest of the worlds engines, factories, chemicals.

As momma always told you "its not always what you say its how you say it too" Better choice of words or just a plain "Hello my name is Slim Shady" first will be a great start.

NOW who wants my smog pump??? $50 first come first get!!!

• Maroast

Posted February 01, 2008 - 10:48 PM

NOW who wants my smog pump??? $50 first come first get!!!

Thats a direct violation of ThumperTalk forum rules, and you will be sited for it! This is not a "for sale" forum, take that elsewhere.... :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.