Rear tire question on '06 WR450F

10 replies to this topic
  • Thumper_426

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:02 PM

I have an '06 WR450F w/a 110/90/18 stock. I'd like to run a 120/90/18 on it if possible. Anyone have one on they're bike or know of a set up like so? I did do a search, but I didn't find what I was looking for, therefore I posted the question. Also how much room is there between tire and rear swing arm after adjusted and did you mod your chain length or is it stock as well?
:busted:
Thanks Mark

• tacotory

Posted February 01, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Not really what you asked, but I run a 140/80/18 Michellin S12 on my "05 with no modifications or problems.

By my calcs- and I'm not positive I'm doing it correctly- the 120/90/18 would be 108mm wide and the 140/80/18 would be 112mm wide.

• Thumper_426

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:01 PM

Wow, a 140. Any issues w/power or weight? What type or riding do you do also? I ride trails here and most are hard packed. What soft terrain we do have,doesn't always last very long. Inter/hard is what I'm lookig for in a tire.
Thanks for your info. at least.
Mark

• dustdogg

Posted February 01, 2008 - 10:01 PM

I have a 120 on my WR 426 and there is plenty of room for clearance. I had a Dunlop before and now I am running a Maxxis. Both tires seem to be very close in size. Unless they have changed the swingarm drastically on the 450's I don't think you will have any trouble. I have been very happy with the wider tire and see now reason to go back.:busted: Don't wory about the loss of power either, your 450 will spin that thing just fine.:worthy:

• wrtrailhog

Posted February 01, 2008 - 11:54 PM

I run a Dunlop 952 size 120. I could go bigger if I wanted to. Plenty of room on my '04 wr.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • w00dsRider

Posted February 02, 2008 - 03:29 AM

I'm presently running a 120/100 Maxxis with no issues on my 06WR.

• Summit

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:54 AM

What advantages to you guys see in the bigger rear tire? Can you really tell the differrence? Any negatives?

• Thumper_426

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:22 AM

I am considering the Maxxis 120/100 size tire as well vs. Dunlop this time. Thanks for everyones info. Yeah, the 450 will spin the rear tire fir sure, but I'm looking for the little extra bit of traction on the trail. 140 maybe someday.

Mark

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 03, 2008 - 10:33 AM

It might be just me, but I find that he 120 or 130 size tire on the rear does not handle as well as the 110 size tire. I ride in enduros and other races where there are lots of twists and turns and you notice just a little the difference when shifting the bike from side to side. But if you aren't racing or riding hard, you won't notice.

But if you want superior traction go with a trials tire in the rear. The amount of traction is crazy. It sticks like glue to everything. I ran a trials tire for most of 2006 (only need one for the whole year) and then switched back to a knobbie for 2007. Its 2008 now and I'm going back to the trials tire when my current knobbie wears out.

• tacotory

Posted February 03, 2008 - 01:39 PM

Wow, a 140. Any issues w/power or weight? What type or riding do you do also? I ride trails here and most are hard packed. What soft terrain we do have,doesn't always last very long. Inter/hard is what I'm lookig for in a tire.
Thanks for your info. at least.
Mark

I ride mostly desert, gigh-desert and some rides in high-mountain terrain. The S12 is technically a soft terrain tire, but I ride it everywhere. I've had great luck with it- both traction and wear. I was originally concerned that a soft tire would wear out really quickly in hard/ rock terrain, but I haven't experienced that. As for the power with the 140- not an issue.

• Thumper_426

Posted February 03, 2008 - 02:25 PM

To be honest, I can't recall ever seing a 140 size tire. I'll have to go check out the web sites due to nothing like that would be around locally at the shop I'm sure. I hit the shops the other day and motorcycle stuff is pretty nill right now. I know the fatter the rear tire on a street bike for turning is not the best, I thought though by having a wider tire for dirt would be good IMO. I'll try both and see what works best for my style up here.
Thanks guys.

Mark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.