Bringing back the XL's to life?

13 replies to this topic
  • BlkHawkDown

Posted February 01, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Alright so I got 2 free bikes from sony, they were used in CHIPS. Anyway, they've been sitting for years w/o being touched. Whats the best way to start these up again. Of course the obvious oil change, spark plugs... Any thing that i'm missing?

TIA!

• oldturtle

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:25 PM

We owned a mid 80s xl600 and it was the twin carb model. These carbs were not much fun to work on. So the worst thing will be to clean the carbs if it was not properly drained when put away. Good luck.

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:27 PM

oh, completely forgot about that thx. got anything else?

• cleonard

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Just a little oil in the spark plug holes can really help the bike start for the first time. Put some in the top end through the valve adjustment caps to get some lube there as well. Other than that change the oil and dump out the old gas. If gas was left in the carbs then they will need to be cleaned out.

Other than that the bikes should fire right up. I've done this with a few old bikes and that was all that I had to do to get them going.

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:50 PM

speaking of spark plug, is there a special way to get to them since they are blocked by the frame...

• jbird710

Posted February 01, 2008 - 05:02 PM

If they have metal gas tanks, you'll need to clean them out. If they sat up for a while, they may have some rust in there from condensation.

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 01, 2008 - 05:04 PM

oh ur right, forgot about the metal tanks, how would i go removing rust from the inside?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:47 PM

As long as the tanks were sitting with old fuel in them, there should not be any rust in them. If there IS rust, your in for a little trouble.

I've been restoring an old 84 XL 350 that sat for a long time as well, and the carbs have been a major headache. Heres what to do...

Take the carbs off, and flip them over.
Take the jets out of each, pilot jets, and the jet the main jet screws into, and soak all of those in carb cleaner for like a day.
Do NOT separate the two carbs, as this wil screw up the carb adjustment that Honda originally set in there.
If you feel confident, it would be good to take the slides out, and then spray the crap out of everything with carb cleaner, including linkage.
Before you put everything back together, make sure to to THOROUGHLY blow everything out with compressed air.

If the tank had old gas in it, drain the old stuff, and put new stuff in. Slosh the new stuff around, and run it through the petcock on both 'on' and 'reserve'. Drain it, and it should be fine, as long as there is no rust.

If there IS rust, I would say take it to someone that works on old metal gas tanks, like someone who helps to resore classic cars, and see if they can get the rust out. Usually they can.

And one more thing before you try starting it; GET A NEW BATTERY! The old XL's don't like starting on a dead battery.

• jbird710

Posted February 01, 2008 - 09:50 PM

There are several products to coat the inside of the tank if there's some rust to deal with. One is called Kreme or Kreem. Here's a good response about another product from KBS:
http://au.answers.ya...29123455AACJhl9

• martinfan30

Posted February 02, 2008 - 08:43 AM

I've used kreem in several tanks on the vintage sl,cl and xl's weve been restoring.

Awsome stuff!:busted:

• scalejockey

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:09 AM

If it is rusted inside the tank.. Take a bottle of navel jelly a hand full of pea gravel a little water put it all in the tank.Seal it,wrap it in a old sheet put that in a box through it in the dryer under fluff setting (no heat) and let it tumble for an hour or so.
Wash out with soap and water,rinse.

like new again.

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 02, 2008 - 03:58 PM

what type of oil should i use for this bike?

• martinfan30

Posted February 02, 2008 - 04:17 PM

SJockey, That is a great idea! A low tech, high yield result I'm sure. Good thinking!:busted:

BHD, A quality 10w-40 is good for winter, and 20W-50 for summer. I like to use Honda's brand of oil in my XRL.

• scalejockey

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:18 PM

SJockey, That is a great idea! A low tech, high yield result I'm sure. Good thinking!:busted:

BHD, A quality 10w-40 is good for winter, and 20W-50 for summer. I like to use Honda's brand of oil in my XRL.

I came up with that after a 69 HODAKA super rat restore i did last year.The tank was so bad when i got the layers of rust out it looked like swiss cheese.Then i used a aircraft type tank liner.It was like rubber.Iv'e used the Kreem before but the cost of the total kit is kinda spendy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.