How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • thumper tom

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:28 AM

HEy Frostbite Glade to Hear you collected the rest of the Bike, Too bad about the valve cover, Hope the rest of the bike is all good-o, and I forgot to Thank you Publically for the BAttery and The Front & Rear tires that you couldn't travel with--- Thank you for the Bonus. I cant wait to see you in action-- lots of luck -

TOms

• simonreeves

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:42 AM

the updates are much appreciated frostbite, especially as it looks like you're going to be pretty busy for a while now ! Good luck, can't wait to catch up on progress.

• malcom

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:33 PM

WOW! I just came across this story last night, I could not stop reading. It is great, I read and reread it, the photos are great , worth a thousand words. please keep them coming. I cant belive you did that for a dirt bike .:D And how THUMPER TOM steped up to help, thats way way COOL:thumbsup: WAY TO GO THUMPER TOM! ::thumbsup: Frostbite I can't belive where you work and live INCREDIABLE. Can't even imagine how you can deal with the elements. Do you run studded tires or a snow track that conects to the swing arm?. Like to see pics of bike out side:ride:and some of the terrain you ride on or is it allways snow and ice. Thank you Frostbite and Thumper Tom for this story. :eek:

• Frostbite

Posted March 04, 2008 - 10:23 PM

I started bolting the IKEA bike together tonight.

First thing I did was grease the steering head and swing arm bearings. They looked pretty dry, especially the swingarm. There was a light coat on the needle bearings, but not a drop of extra in the space between the bearings. I slogged everything full.

Next I did a bit of work to the carb. My JD jet kit won't be here for another week or so, so I popped in some of my 400 parts. The needles were the exact length, can't say about the taper, my eyes couldn't pick out the difference. I popped in an adjustable one, and put a real piece of pipe in so she won't die of thirst at -30.

Then I got to work on reassembly. Here's the progress:
Zero hour
1 hour in
3 hours in.

The major components are slipping together very quickly, but the cable and wire routing are seriously slowing the job. I want to make sure it's done right though, so I'm taking my time and verifying everything. Some of the diagrams in the manual aren't great, but between them and the pictures, it's working out.

I'd say I'll definitely be riding on the weekend. :thumbsup:

• pcmech2

Posted March 05, 2008 - 12:11 AM

i saw your title to this thread earlier in the week and ignored it. i am a newbie here i think this might make my third post. so i read all i could about the wr's (well in a week anyways) tonight the wife went to sleep, & i opened up this beautiful unfolding story about a man and his blue horse.

WOW!

i read all 17 pages w/ baited breath

all you guys kick ass and i am honored to be in your presence:applause: :thumbsup: :eek:

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:27 AM

At what hour does the tupperware bike stand fail:excuseme: you will have your thrill grin soon grasshopper!

• Frostbite

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hey Frostbite Glade to Hear you collected the rest of the Bike, Too bad about the valve cover, Hope the rest of the bike is all good-o, and I forgot to Thank you Publicly for the Battery and The Front & Rear tires that you couldn't travel with--- Thank you for the Bonus. I cant wait to see you in action-- lots of luck - TOms

Hi Tom, no need for the public thanks, I’ve been flogging it enough myself. (Haha) I gooed up the valve cover enough to ride until the new one arrives. The bike is going together very well, thanks in large part to the pictures we took. The most time consuming is the wiring and cable routing. Even so, I’m sure I’ll be riding on the weekend, if not sooner. I’ll see if I can drag someone out with me to take some action shots.

the updates are much appreciated frostbite, especially as it looks like you're going to be pretty busy for a while now ! Good luck, can't wait to catch up on progress.

Thanks Simon, it won’t be long now.

WOW! I just came across this story last night, I could not stop reading. It is great, I read and reread it, the photos are great , worth a thousand words. please keep them coming. I cant believe you did that for a dirt bike .:ride: And how THUMPER TOM stepped up to help, that’s way way COOL:thumbsup: WAY TO GO THUMPER TOM! ::eek: Frostbite I can't believe where you work and live INCREDIABLE. Can't even imagine how you can deal with the elements. Do you run studded tires or a snow track that connects to the swing arm?. Like to see pics of bike out side:ride:and some of the terrain you ride on or is it always snow and ice. Thank you Frostbite and Thumper Tom for this story. :D

Hi Malcolm, I’m enjoying the helpful and sometimes hilarious comments, and ThumperTom gets big points from me for going well above and beyond the call of duty.
I do run studded front and rear tires, and a ski up front, and also have an Attrax that I pop on when the snow conditions are soft and fluffy. I looked into the 2Moto track, as it offers a lot more surface area than my Attrax. A rep called me back last night and is looking for a way to get me a demo to try. Me riding a demo in the wet snow down south wouldn’t tell me much, I have to try it here as our snow is completely different, very dry, impossible to make a snowball with.

i saw your title to this thread earlier in the week and ignored it. i am a newbie here i think this might make my third post. so i read all i could about the wr's (well in a week anyways) tonight the wife went to sleep, & i opened up this beautiful unfolding story about a man and his blue horse.
WOW!
I read all 17 pages w/ baited breath
All you guys kick ass and i am honored to be in your presence:applause: :thumbsup: :lol:

Welcome to Thumpertalk PC, this is a great bunch of guys with tons of helpful information and a sense of humor.

At what hour does the tupperware bike stand fail:excuseme: you will have your thrill grin soon grasshopper!

Ah Charles, I see you are familiar with the Tupperware. The Rubbermaid container will support the full bike for about an hour, then the sides cave – unless you have custom plywood inserts inside.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:31 AM

During the last years of grad school I moved around quite a bit. I practically lived out of those rubbermade bins. They were used as furniture, shelves and storage. I used a cooler stand for my bike for a while:prof: It was always hard to get the beers when working on the bike, :thumbsup: so I bought an official plastic crate stand!

• 2lcf

Posted March 05, 2008 - 02:57 PM

During the last years of grad school I moved around quite a bit. I practically lived out of those rubbermade bins. They were used as furniture, shelves and storage. I used a cooler stand for my bike for a while:prof: It was always hard to get the beers when working on the bike, :thumbsup: so I bought an official plastic crate stand!

I have pleanty of those plastic create stands if you want to buy some more.......I can get as many as you like..............

• kskyles

Posted March 05, 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hey Frostbite-

Were you able to find all the pieces of your cover in the box? Were there any pieces in your motor?

We're all cheering for you down here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted March 06, 2008 - 04:25 AM

Hey Frostbite-

Were you able to find all the pieces of your cover in the box? Were there any pieces in your motor?

We're all cheering for you down here.

Hey Kskyles,
I didn't find any of the pieces, not in the box or the engine. I'm guessing they fell out of the hole that was poked in the box when it was struck. I didn't split the cases but there's no signs of any debris entering the head area.

The bike is almost recognizeable now, here's 4 1/2 hours in. All that's left is the exhaust, rads and plumbing, and the tires. Another hour or 2 will have the bike complete, but then I have to pop on the spikes. I'll have to swap the front tire from the 400, and will have to finish studding the new rear and pop that on the wheel. Then pour in the vital fluids and good to go.:thumbsup:

So far the only thing missing was one of the washers for the footpeg pivot pin.

• kskyles

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hey Kskyles,
I didn't find any of the pieces, not in the box or the engine. I'm guessing they fell out of the hole that was poked in the box when it was struck. I didn't split the cases but there's no signs of any debris entering the head area.

That's great to hear. You may have gotten lucky there. It's good to be lucky :thumbsup:

This is the best thread that I've seen on this forum in a long time. Thanks for making my work day go by faster.

You now belong in the TT WR450 forum hall of fame with Indy, NCMountainman, and Clarke.

Everything on the bike looks great! Keep up the good work.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:52 AM

Posted Image
Rubbermaid failure:lol: :thumbsup: How was the swao to the wood chair dirtbike stand? sorry just makes me laugh:excuseme:

• Frostbite

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:28 PM

That's great to hear. You may have gotten lucky there. It's good to be lucky :thumbsup:
This is the best thread that I've seen on this forum in a long time. Thanks for making my work day go by faster.
You now belong in the TT WR450 forum hall of fame with Indy, NCMountainman, and Clarke.
Everything on the bike looks great! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the well wishes, Kskyles, that just made my day. :eek: I may be in the hall, but those 3 are have their own VIP table. :D :ride: :lol:

Posted Image
Rubbermaid failure:lol: :ride: How was the swap to the wood chair dirtbike stand? sorry just makes me laugh:excuseme:

The few last pieces were the straws that broke the camel’s back. The Rubbermaid was looking more like just plain rubber so I had to switch. Besides, that’s where I hide the beer. Tuesday it was easy to move, but by last night it was getting a bit heavy. When I was switching the stand I chuckled 'cause I knew I’d hear from you.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:41 PM

attention for detail, it's job related. I was renting from a friend and had a bunch of those containers stacked up in the garage. Well, some had books in them and were very heavy. I came home one day and the stack of 5 fell over and spilled all over the garage the dog bed, dog water.... well ,it was a mess because the bottom container failed:bonk: Still wondering if the dog was lying on the bed when it went:doh: Good luck:thumbsup:

• Frostbite

Posted March 06, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I'm hooking up the plumbing on the bike and have replaced the stock AIS unit with this factory Yahama AHS unit. In case anyone else is contemplating getting one, it fits nice and snug in front of the cylinder and just clears the valve cover, and is lighter than the AIS. You still have to block off the AIS hole.

Right
Wired

• Kirkster

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:47 PM

What is a Yahama AHS unit??? It does what???

• ADVnaut

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:18 PM

I'm guessing it is an inline water heater to assist with maintaining running temp in -30 weather.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:29 PM

Yeah it's a coolant heater that runs on 120AC to preheat the engine before starting. I think Frosty made up the AHS part. AHS(Auxiliary Heater System) maybe?:thumbsup:

• Frostbite

Posted March 06, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Yeah it's a coolant heater that runs on 120AC to preheat the engine before starting. I think Frosty made up the AHS part. AHS(Auxiliary Heater System) maybe?:thumbsup:

Bingo, we have a winner! Boy, that didn't take long - auxiliary heating system is exactly correct. I thought I'd have a little fun with some guessing but you guys got it right away.

It is a factory Yamaha coolant heater, for the Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles. It tucked nicely in front of the head. I decided not to try my old block heater on the new bike, for obvious reasons.

Good job with that riddle. Now here's another - where does the white go when the snow melts?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.