How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • ADVnaut

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:40 PM

Did you account for the suspension??

Depending on what airline you are flying on, the charge $50 for additional suitcases so you much me able to bring 2 suitcases of parts home with you on the plane.

:smirk:

Hey Frostbite, it looks like you may need to edit the first post to include that you have already bought and shipped the bike. Did you get anything done this weekend? It was 75 degrees here and I still didn't manage anything to be proud of.

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 04:06 AM

:)

Hey Frostbite, it looks like you may need to edit the first post to include that you have already bought and shipped the bike. Did you get anything done this weekend? It was 75 degrees here and I still didn't manage anything to be proud of.

Hey BC

Yes, I see some new readers are replying to some of the very early posts. I went back to try to add an update, but the edit button is not available any earlier than page 12. I guess there's a time limit.

On the weekend I filled my new battery with acid and charged it, but that's all. There were a couple of cargo planes in on the weekend so I'll check the post office this morning, maybe the dangerous parts have arrived. :smirk: I also ordered an AIS removal kit, JD jetting kit, Zip-ty fuel screw and Pro Moto billet exhaust insert from TT, and a 3 gallon IMS fuel tank. I did look at the 6gallon jug but it looked a bit too radical - for now.

Did you account for the suspension??

Depending on what airline you are flying on, the charge $50 for additional suitcases so you much me able to bring 2 suitcases of parts home with you on the plane.

Hi T2Y, you are correct on the extra baggage charge and the suspension, and I did bring 2 bags of parts with me on the plane and mailed the rest. I’m still waiting for the postman to arrive.

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 08:17 AM

This morning the greasy bits of the 450 were re-united with the non-greasy bits.

I ran up to the post office during coffee break, and the 3 boxes were in. They looked a bit haggard, but seemed intact. There was a tape patch on the engine box, so I opened it up when I got home to make sure it was OK, and it was.

One question to 07 450 owners - does the casting of the valve cover vent hole look a bit rough to you? Maybe I'm being overly fussy because it's a new bike.

• markvfr

Posted March 03, 2008 - 08:24 AM

Ah Sh*t! Good thing all three boxes arrived, but crappy about the "minor" cover hole... yikes. Ah well, what can you do eh? Hopefully no bits got into the motor.

Good luck on putting it together, and of course keep us posted on the progress.

Cheers,
M

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Ah Sh*t! Good thing all three boxes arrived, but crappy about the "minor" cover hole... yikes. Ah well, what can you do eh? Hopefully no bits got into the motor.

Good luck on putting it together, and of course keep us posted on the progress.

Cheers,
M

I aleady ordered a new cover, but I have a couple of tubes of JB Weld and I'm going to patch it so I can ride. I can't wait another month for the cover to arrive in the mail. My wrists would be slittin' themselves.

I'll look for the broken cover pieces tonight, hopefully they're in the bottom of the box and not the bottom of the engine.

I'm also going to set up the re-sembly cams and film the whole process. I guess I better shave.

• matt4x4

Posted March 03, 2008 - 09:39 AM

Frostbite - That's normal, just ride....oh wait!! scratch that, it's NOT a Honda...

You did send the stuff insured right, I'd be sending UPS the pic along with a claim for SS valves and performance cams since the bits went and destroyed the whole top end before kicking it over (man this is sounding like a good Honda commercial)...

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Just being helpful.

Be sure and take the valve cover off and inspect for broken cover bits inside the head are....just to be safe.

that really sucks they dropped it.

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Frostbite - That's normal, just ride....oh wait!! scratch that, it's NOT a Honda...

You did send the stuff insured right, I'd be sending UPS the pic along with a claim for SS valves and performance cams since the bits went and destroyed the whole top end before kicking it over (man this is sounding like a good Honda commercial)...

Hey Matt

I did have insurance, but it was most likely my own fault that the cover got broken. ThumperTom and I had originally double boxed the engine, with foam packing popcorn stuffed between the 2 boxes. I specifically bought 2 properly sized boxes for this at the Uhaul store, so the engine would be secure. At the post office this setup was 5 ounces overweight. They had closed the doors while we were in line, and I was flying in a few hours, so there was no time to leave and repack. We simply cut off the outer box right there at the counter and it made the weight.

I knew I was taking a chance, so I’m not going after anyone for the damage. The new cover is just over a hundred bucks, and everything else is perfect, so I can live with that.
Besides, I don’t want to piss USPS off, since I’m mailing another bike from the US as soon as I get this one together…………….NOT!

I gooed up the broken cover during lunch and it’ll be ready to go tomorrow. The JB weld almost matches the stock color. Well, live it does, I think the flash threw it off.

Soon I'll be posting a "put it back together" reply to the "What did you do to your WR" thread.:smirk:

Just being helpful.

Be sure and take the valve cover off and inspect for broken cover bits inside the head are....just to be safe.

that really sucks they dropped it.

Hey MG, I did search for the bits and found none in the top end or the box. There is a hole in the box and I’m assuming it’s from the cover hit. The pieces must’ve fallen out of the box on impact. Somebody patched the hole with the yellow tape visible in the picture, and the pieces are probably bouncing around the back of a delivery truck right now.

• ADVnaut

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:17 PM

On the weekend I filled my new battery with acid and charged it, but that's all.

Hey FB,
Do the new WR's not come with the tiny sealed yuasa battery like the '06s or are you using a different one?

• kenr74

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey MG, I did search for the bits and found none in the top end or the box. There is a hole in the box and I’m assuming it’s from the cover hit. The pieces must’ve fallen out of the box on impact. Somebody patched the hole with the FIXED IT visible in the picture, and the pieces are probably bouncing around the back of a delivery truck right now.

You might want to edit that picture so you don't get a bunch of weirdos off the internet calling you. :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hey FB,
Do the new WR's not come with the tiny sealed yuasa battery like the '06s or are you using a different one?

I left my battery in Phoenix, didn't even want to try shipping it. I ordered a new one from a dealer in Canada and asked them to ship it the way they recieve it, acid out. They did, and I filled and charged it when it got here. The acid in the battery is not good to fly, but in it's sealed container it is.

The batterys have a glass mat fiber material inside them that absorbs the acid, making them spillproof.

Even though it's small, the battery is pretty heavy, and I’m sure won’t have enough cold cranking amps to start the bike here 11 months of the year, so I may try a little 12v battery pack, just enough to energize the stator. That would save a few pounds. I also hear rumors that a chevy frostplug will fit in the hole where the starter mounts to the engine. The starter motor itself is surprisingly light, but if i'm not going to use it I may as well leave it home.

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:55 PM

You might want to edit that picture so you don't get a bunch of weirdos off the internet calling you. :smirk:

Thanks Ken. Funny, I didn't notice the number on the box in the pic. Now the weirdos can't call, but they can send me mail if they want. It's always nice to get mail here. Haha.

• ADVnaut

Posted March 03, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Ken. Funny, I didn't notice the number on the box in the pic. Now the weirdos can't call, but they can send me mail if they want. It's always nice to get mail here. Haha.

Haha, now he has to edit his quote because it is still in that one.

FB, can you send the dimensions on that GS battery, I tried to find a more affordable option to the Yuasa Battery a while back but all the sealed ones I found were an inch too tall or wide. If this one is the right size for my 06 I will get it over the stock one b/c it's 1/3 the price. Thanks.

• Kirkster

Posted March 03, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Careful what you wish for, I can see you with 11 or 12 little boxes with AIS pumps now...

I have a spare AIS pump.... Hum, with the strict no alcohol rules a box of Trojans might be better...

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 03:58 PM

Haha, now he has to edit his quote because it is still in that one.

FB, can you send the dimensions on that GS battery, I tried to find a more affordable option to the Yuasa Battery a while back but all the sealed ones I found were an inch too tall or wide. If this one is the right size for my 06 I will get it over the stock one b/c it's 1/3 the price. Thanks.

The battery I bought is a GS, and is model GTX5L-BS.

I don't know the dimensions on the stock battery, but the new battery is 4" 3/8 long, 2" 11/16 wide, and 4" 1/8 tall. Then the terminal bolt adds another 3/16" to the height.

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:15 PM

I should have enough parts to put the 450 back together now. A few folks here mentioned that I should set up a Frosty cam to record the process, so I did.

Since it'll be -30 outside for the next 11 1/2 months, and since I don't have a garage, and since I'm single, (THE most important factor here) the bike will be assembled in my living room. The lens on my video camera isn't wide enough to get a good shot, so I'm filming through my helmet cam. It has a much wider angle lens and can see the whole room without having to knock a hole through the wall to film from the kitchen.

The helmet cam will also help to keep things steady. Changing tapes every hour with the DV camera would be a pain, trying to set the camera back in the exact position. With the helmet cam that won't be a problem. I have it mounted to the ceiling (bottom of my projector) and won't have to touch it at all.

I have my laptop plugged in to my projector for technical assistance. ThumperTom and I took plenty of photos during the stripdown, so I have lots to reference for exact cable and wire routing among other things. Here's the setup.

I think I'm just going to play the photos in the reverse order that we took them, and match the live model to the pics. That should prevent putting something on too early and interfering with something else. I'll just work backwards from this picture to this one. Seems simple enough, what could go wrong?:smirk:

I work 7 days per week so I won’t be able to pop the bike together in one sitting. To keep track of time, I hung my “enduro timer” (joke from another thread) on the wall for reference. I’m going to start it at 12 o’clock, and run it while I’m working on the bike, and pop the battery out when I’m not working so it’ll pause the clock. That way the video will record the actual amount of time spent on reassembly. Hopefully the hour hand won't pass 12 too many times.

I’ve never done a simulated time lapse video, but I’m thinking that if I delete 19 out of every 20 frames or something like that, it’ll work, and should speed time up 20 times. My cameras don’t have any settings for shooting every minute or so, which would be nice. It’s going to be a lot of work manually deleting frames from the video. Anybody know any easier method?

• Kirkster

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:25 PM

yea that should be tricky with the camera. there may be some editing software that might make it automatic...

can't wait to see the assembly...

• coffee

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I’ve never done a simulated time lapse video, but I’m thinking that if I delete 19 out of every 20 frames or something like that, it’ll work, and should speed time up 20 times. My cameras don’t have any settings for shooting every minute or so, which would be nice. It’s going to be a lot of work manually deleting frames from the video. Anybody know any easier method?

I've done that in Movie Maker II a few times, it really is not that bad.

-30 for the next 11.5 months? Doesn't it warm up at all in the 'summer'? Or at least vary?

• dirtysouth

Posted March 03, 2008 - 07:08 PM

I should have enough parts to put the 450 back together now. A few folks here mentioned that I should set up a Frosty cam to record the process, so I did.

:smirk: :) :ride:

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2008 - 07:45 PM

I've done that in Movie Maker II a few times, it really is not that bad.

-30 for the next 11.5 months? Doesn't it warm up at all in the 'summer'? Or at least vary?

Thanks Coffee, I'll check out the software.

I joke a lot about our weather here. It actually does climb above freezing for a couple of months. No real scortchers, but we'll see 50 degrees, and a rare nice day will hit in the 60's.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.