How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • 1trackmind

Posted February 27, 2008 - 07:02 AM

WOW...this is like a book you can't put down until you get to the end. I am very impressed how you have overcome so many obstacles. Good luck.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 27, 2008 - 01:46 PM

Frosty you should video yourself piecing this bike back together just to show that it is really not all that bad. You could edit the vid to slim the time down and to highlight some of the major issues that come to light during reassembly...and don't forget to start off with a blue and white parachute dropping parts to you:thumbsup: Shew, you may get done with the vid before yamaha finishes robbing the commercial idea...$$$...so why wait...get your camera ready. No, seriously, that could bring out some cool footage.

• markvfr

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thats a cool idea dirtysouth. Frosty can do a normal version and also a timelapse, showing the whole bike assembly in two minutes. :smirk:

• kenr74

Posted February 27, 2008 - 07:22 PM

This should somehow be made into a movie. The things a true rider will endure.........GREAT STORY SO FAR.

• matt4x4

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Set the still camera on a tripod covering the entire work area and set it to take a pic every minute, then play it back - a buddy did that once of us setting up camp and it was too cool!

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 28, 2008 - 07:27 AM

Since he will already have the camera in place, I suggest he feed a loop via the internet to Thumpertalk and we could have real time "Frostbite Webcam".

• Frostbite

Posted February 28, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Since he will already have the camera in place, I suggest he feed a loop via the internet to Thumpertalk and we could have real time "Frostbite Webcam".

These are all great ideas, and I will set up my vid and still cameras on tripods and shoot the whole thing. It would be pretty easy to cut out 9/10ths of the vd frames to speed up time.

One think I won't be able to do is the Live Frostycam. Internet in the Arctic is sketchy and expensive. High speed is not what it is in the south, and I have a 2 gig per month limit (upload and download combined). Checking my email, the weather, and Thumpertalk usually maxxes me out every month. I tried running one of the online radio stations and it put me over the limit in a couple of hours. When I hit 2 gig I can pay for the extra bandwidth, at $30 per gig. So it costs $30 per hour here to listen to a free on line radio station. The same would go for a live video feed, just couldn't justify the cost - unless I have a couple of snow bunnies working on the bike.:smirk:

The customs meeting yesterday in Iqaluit went very well. The agent was a bit intimidating at first, wearing a flakjacket and 9mm, but turned out to be a real nice guy and got a kick out of the story. He photocopied everything and agreed that the coppers in Pangnirtung could inspect the bike instead of me having to fly it down so he could see it in person. He did note that in the pictures, there didn’t seem to be signal lights on the bike. I quickly demonstrated my hand signal skills and he laughed and agreed they weren’t needed. (The bike does have a horn and banjo bolt/brakelight setup).

He can’t process the paperwork until I receive my parts and provide receipts that I have paid the duty on the 3 boxes. I also have to provide a letter from Yamaha stating that there have been no recalls on this model. This is standard for any vehicle crossing the border. With those papers and the OK from the copshop, I’ll get my F1 form. Then I move on to the final step with the registrar of imported motor vehicles, which is to take it to the nearest Canadian Tire store to be inspected. As I mentioned, that’s 1500 miles away, so I expect some more creativity to follow.

I’m still out of town in a small community called Clyde River, so I don’t know if the boxes arrived in the mail yet. I fly out of here tonight, overnight in Iqaluit, and land home in Pang tomorrow, and hopefully they’ll be waiting and I can snap the bike together on the weekend.

They had a 6 day long blizzard here nearly a month ago, and are still digging out from under it. Here are a few pics from today.

sunrise
School
House
downtown
entire town from the air
snow clearing

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 28, 2008 - 01:59 PM

I think i can safely say. I will NEVER, ever be visiting your town, ever in my lifetime:busted:

wow, snow!:smirk:

• wizbangdoodle

Posted February 28, 2008 - 02:28 PM

I have read all 128 posts of this adventure and all I can say is...WOW! Reminds me of the video "The Long Way Round". Anyone that hasn't seen it, go rent it.

Frostbite, your are one persistent s.o.b. My hat is off to you. Must be what makes you good at what you do. (As I raise my right hand) I promise not to bitch about having to drive 10 miles to my bike shop for parts ever again.

Now, I do have 2 questions:
1. Wouldn't a snowmobile make more sense :smirk: :)

and

2. What is the attraction to live up there? In other words, what is the industry that keeps everyone employed?

Let's see pics of the first ride/finished product.

• Sundog

Posted February 28, 2008 - 02:46 PM

I think i can safely say. I will NEVER, ever be visiting your town, ever in my lifetime:busted:

Why not??? I think it would be awesome to ride up there. :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted February 28, 2008 - 07:11 PM

:smirk: Dude...I can't even imagine roads up there...seems like everything comes in on a dogsled or plane or something. Has me wondering why a registration is needed at all.

• jdubb75

Posted February 28, 2008 - 07:53 PM

:) Dude...I can't even imagine roads up there...seems like everything comes in on a dogsled or plane or something. Has me wondering why a registration is needed at all.

You didn't see the roads? They were the flat spots in between the 12ft snow drifts.

You are hardcore, frostbite!:smirk:

• steve10391

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:05 PM

bg10459 is right but here is an easy example. Girth is the measurement all the way around a package. The USPS considers girth plus the length. If you had a 12" sqaure box 5' long you be at the 108" limit. 48" would be the measurement around the box and add the length 60" and you get the 108" limit.

• matt4x4

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:18 AM

2. What is the attraction to live up there? In other words, what is the industry that keeps everyone employed?

You know when it's 110 degrees out, and you head off to get a block of ice for the beer cooler on the deck because it's too hot for you to get off your lounger and walk to the fridge? - where do you think that ice comes from????
:smirk: :) :ride:

This is a sample of their industry - high quality frozen h2o:
Posted Image

Take a look at their awesome skills!
Posted Image

• simonreeves

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:34 AM

beautiful pictures frostbite, but when i see pictures of all that california sunshine some of these guys have, i'm pretty sure which would suit me better, probably 'cause i'm in England and starved of sun ! Thanks for all the great posts, i look forward to getting home from work to catch up on progress. Good luck with the rest of it:thumbsup:

p.s. i'll never complain about the cold again !:smirk:

• ADVnaut

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:59 PM

Frostbite,
Your story is inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us and props to Tom for being an everyday hero that everybody is capable of being but few dare to. Good luck.

bg10459 is right but here is an easy example. Girth is the measurement all the way around a package. The USPS considers girth plus the length. If you had a 12" sqaure box 5' long you be at the 108" limit. 48" would be the measurement around the box and add the length 60" and you get the 108" limit.

You might want to catch up on the story.

• Jack22

Posted February 29, 2008 - 01:07 PM

Am I missing anything? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Frosty

Consider moving...

• Frostbite

Posted March 01, 2008 - 04:46 PM

Consider moving...

Haha, all great comments! The feedback is the best part of this thread. Steve, I think you may need a faster internet connection.

Update – I went to the post office last night, opened my box, and saw a parcel card inside. I thought it was the rest of the bike but it was only the new battery I had ordered. Darn! :smirk:

I’m glad I got the battery, but I would’ve liked to snap the bike back together on the weekend. The weather here today is beautiful and sunny, and a balmy -30. I’m missing out on some great riding.

• Kenton

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:24 PM

dude.
I'm in Northern Alberta, and I'm thinkin, it's only -3, but the quads have ripped up the trails too much to ride. I wouldn't ride my sled when it was colder than -20. you are either nucking futs or really bored.
This thread is better than penthouse forums (it has it's place). I'll be busting out the husky asap. thanks for the inspiration.

Kenton

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:58 PM

Did you account for the suspension??

Depending on what airline you are flying on, the charge $50 for additional suitcases so you much me able to bring 2 suitcases of parts home with you on the plane.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.