How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted February 19, 2008 - 03:04 PM

They wished me well but said:

"Good afternoon! It's quite a story but I'm afraid we don't encourage cross border shopping."

I'm rarely at a loss for words, but...............................................?

The old Corporate CYA strategy. It's getting old.

• waterman7474

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:00 PM

"Good afternoon! It's quite a story but I'm afraid we don't encourage cross border shopping."

yeah, well reply back and tell them to get off their arses and build a dealer in Nuyavut !!!

or somewhere within a thousand miles!!

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:03 AM

they just stole the idea:prof:

• dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:23 AM

they just stole the idea:prof:

Right on..I would love to see that commercial anyway:thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:25 AM

Frosty...who makes this light? Super sharp I think

Posted Image

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image

The headlight comes from the Trick DualSport kit from, you guessed it, Trick DualSport.

The amber lights are the signal lights.

• Frostbite

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:27 AM

Posted Image

DB4E may be right, but I bought this one way back in 2003 from DennisKirk. It was listed back then as:

Part # 22256 - (1) - Enduro Oregon Headlight with Turnsignals Assemblies - ($80.99)

• jdubb75

Posted February 21, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Posted Image

First let me say this is a great thread! Makes me feel like a wuss for complaining about the 3hr drive I had to make to pick up my 650R.:smirk:

As for the headlight, the brand is UFO. The Trick Dual Sport Kit uses it in their setup.

Here is the link to their site:

http://www.ufoplasticusa.com/

• tweav

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:29 AM

So did you order the parts to fix the good old 400 ?

• Frostbite

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:00 AM

So did you order the parts to fix the good old 400 ?

I didn't get into the 400 yet. I was focusing on the 450, but if the mail doesn't arrive today I'll work on the 400 on the weekend.

I still have my original fuel tank, rad covers, and front fender so I'm going to bolt them back on. I'll have to get into the wiring to see how much needs replacing, and I'll try to temporarily bypass the burnt wires to see if the bike will run - the rectifier and CDI took a bit of heat and may be cooked.

The 400 is sitting outside in her stall, covered with a blanket, and I haven't uncovered her since I've been back. If the 450 boxes don't arrive, I'll start restoring the 400 tomorrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:52 AM

It's been said before - BEST THREAD EVER!!! HANDS DOWN, nothing can touch this!

Frostbite, congrats on having everything go so smooth (speedbumps and all) I really thought this was going to be a very tough thing to do yet it looks like everything is going to work out well.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Two questions after reading it all - why did you not just buy a bike in Canada and avoid customs and the possibility of having the VIN destroyed? was it the cost difference?

Second question is regarding your 400 - the White Brother's E exhaust on it - did you cut it shorter?

And yes - keep this thread going until it's all together again.

As for Yamaha's answer - pretty closed minded - story would still be as exciting if you'd have bought it in Ontario and it still doesn't negate the fact that you'd have to jump through hoops to get a bike up there. And for all intents and purposes, all this could also have played out in the USA only - just change Nunavut to Northern Alaska.

• Frostbite

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:12 PM

It's been said before - BEST THREAD EVER!!! HANDS DOWN, nothing can touch this!

Frostbite, congrats on having everything go so smooth (speedbumps and all) I really thought this was going to be a very tough thing to do yet it looks like everything is going to work out well.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Two questions after reading it all - why did you not just buy a bike in Canada and avoid customs and the possibility of having the VIN destroyed? was it the cost difference?

Second question is regarding your 400 - the White Brother's E exhaust on it - did you cut it shorter?

Thanks Matt

First question - Used vehicle customs is usually minor, and I didn't know about the issue with the VIN # when I bought the bike, it's the first time I'd ever heard anything like that.

I'd been thinking about getting a newer WR for a while, but the day I actually made the decision was fairly impulsive. I woke up and decided - enough putting it off, I'm getting a new bike. I called a dealer in Canada, priced a new bike, and then decided to look for a used 07.

I googled “2007 WR 450 for sale” and the one I bought was at the top of the list. At that moment there were no 07 450's listed for sale in Canada. Buying from the US is not a big deal to me since I'm so far away anyway that everything’s gotta fly. USPS has 1 rate for all of Canada, but Canada has increased rates for the north, so it’s actually the same or cheaper to mail from the US than from southern Canada. Price wise it didn’t matter to me if the bike came from Canada or the US.

First I was going to ship the bike in 1 piece, but the cost was too high. Then I decided to mail it, but that’s where I ran into the VIN # problem, since I wouldn’t be accompanying the boxes across the border. Then I went with the checked luggage and special approval to inspect the dismantled bike, but when Phoenix security changed their tune on what could and couldn’t fly, that was the end of that.

I had committed to buy the bike before I ran into the VIN# red tape. I didn't want to back out of the deal so I tried to work around it.

I still think I have a decent chance of getting the bike plated here, once I explain the extenuating circumstances. If not, I have 2 choices – 1- don’t worry about it, or 2 – if I ever move back south and really need it plated if , I just have to take it apart again, bring it back across the border into the US, put it together, and then bring it back through customs in 1 piece. Since there’s no official record of the VIN # crossing the border, it’ll be as if it’s the first time it came across. The receipt may be a bit outdated though…..:smirk:

Second question – the E-pipe in the 400 is stock from White Bros, uncut.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hey Frostbite, when you can finally ride again, post up some pics of the bike and terrain where you ride. I'd like to see the new WR in action!

Great thread, BTW. I've posted a link in Team TT.

• tweav

Posted February 23, 2008 - 06:04 PM

Poor frostbite is waiting for the mail system to finally cough up his parts , just like me. I don't know how he can take it. I'm flipping out waiting for my stuff.:smirk: :) :ride: :ride:

• 2lcf

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:07 PM

Poor frostbite is waiting for the mail system to finally cough up his parts , just like me. I don't know how he can take it. I'm flipping out waiting for my stuff.:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :D

They don't call is SNAIL MAIL for nothing..............it seems the more you want something the slower it arrives...........:ride: :ride: :worthy: :smirk: :)

• tweav

Posted February 23, 2008 - 10:38 PM

They don't call is SNAIL MAIL for nothing..............it seems the more you want something the slower it arrives...........:ride: :ride: :worthy: :smirk: :)

It also seems like the new norm for them to screw up at least one thing on each order I make . I don't really understand how hard it is to throw some stuff in a box ,and ship it in a timely fasion . I about to give up on mail ordering anything

• Frostbite

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:25 AM

Hey Frostbite, when you can finally ride again, post up some pics of the bike and terrain where you ride. I'd like to see the new WR in action!

Great thread, BTW. I've posted a link in Team TT.

Hey Kent, I’ll definitely post pics from the re-uniting of the parts and the first ride.

Poor frostbite is waiting for the mail system to finally cough up his parts , just like me. I don't know how he can take it. I'm flipping out waiting for my stuff.:) :ride: :ride: :worthy:

The mail was part of the worry, but the packages clearing Canadian Customs was more worrisome to me – but no more. I’ve been tracking the packages on the USPS website, and last night saw these notes – music to my eyes:

Your item cleared customs in CANADA at 9:34 AM on February 22, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

All 3 have cleared the border patrol Friday morning, and hopefully they’ll be here soon, in 1 piece – or at least in no more than 3 pieces. :smirk:

My new battery is also on the way, and hopefully that will arrive soon too.

I have heard that the 07 WR will not run without the battery. Can anyone confirm this?

• mandrik

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hey frostbite, my 07wr450 will definenitly not run without a battery. if its dead it wont start. however if you run the battery down like forgetting to turn it off or after laying the bike down, and you stop trying to use the magic button before you completly kill the battery then as long as it has enough power to turn the speedometer on you can then kick it back to life!

• thumper tom

Posted February 26, 2008 - 10:39 AM

Frostbite, any word on the three boxes we sent out, hopefully you got em ? just emailed Nathan to see if he can help with getting my bike Plated,
TT

• Frostbite

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hey frostbite, my 07wr450 will definenitly not run without a battery.

Thanks for the info Mandrik.

Frostbite, any word on the three boxes we sent out, hopefully you got em ? just emailed Nathan to see if he can help with getting my bike Plated,
TT

Hey ThumperTom, how's everything, great I hope!

No news on the boxes yet, the last tracking info was from Friday when they cleared customs.

Speaking of getting plates, I do have some good news. After a few phone calls I am halfway to getting the bike registered in Canada. I was eventually told that if I reassemble the bike and take it to the nearest Customs office, they may be able to inspect it and provide the F1 form that I need. Then I have to take the bike to the nearest Canadian Tire outlet to have them inspect it, and it's good to go. The nearest Canadian Tire Outlet is a 1500 mile flight away, so that's a whole other ball game that I'll deal with later.

The nearest customs office is in the capitol "city" (pop 6500) of Nunavut, and I just happened to be flying through there today. In fact I'm sitting in a hotel here right now, waiting for my connecting flight tomorrow. It's a 200 mile flight from Pang to Iqaluit, which isn't bad for me, but it's $1200 round trip for the bike, and that's not good.

I called the customs officer in Iqaluit (there's only 1 guy) and explained the situation and that I didn't really want to fly my bike to Iqaluit so he could inspect it. We talked for a while and he called his head office a few times and we seem to have worked out a plan.

I'm meeting him tomorrow morning and bringing in all my paperwork for the bike, the receipt from customs for the 1/2 that flew, and the receipts for the 3 boxes that were shipped. I'm also bringing my laptop to show the pics we took of the disassembly, and my 1983 AMI Licensed Mechanic Certification.

If all the paperwork is in order, it looks like he'll let me put the bike together in Pang and have a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer (there are 3 in Pang) sign off that the VIN# matches the paperwork and the bike looks like a bike and is safe to drive - hopefully nothing falls off during their inspection. Haha.

If all that goes OK then I just have to deal with the Canadian Tire inspection, and since there are no garages or motor vehicle service stations whatsoever in Pang, maybe they'll also take the RCMP report in lieu of a southern inspection.

So far so good, now if only those boxes arrive so I'll actually have a bike for the cops to inspect.:smirk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.