How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • WR_Dave

Posted February 12, 2008 - 06:24 AM

The skiing was fun and from ski hill lot to hotel room in about 15 mins. Nice on the hill at 70 degrees and the Snowbowl has some pretty fun runs. Sounds like you guys had quite the adventure, must of been a bit scary to be on that kind of deadline and having to rearrange a few times. Hopefully all the bike parts get to the destination at the same time and you will be riding again soon. Did you buy any extra parts for the toasty 400??? This has been fun to follow and to see the sort of pioneering you are doing as far as getting a bike to the arctic circle. :applause: WR Dave.

• Frostbite

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:21 AM

The skiing was fun and from ski hill lot to hotel room in about 15 mins. Nice on the hill at 70 degrees and the Snowbowl has some pretty fun runs. Sounds like you guys had quite the adventure, must of been a bit scary to be on that kind of deadline and having to rearrange a few times. Hopefully all the bike parts get to the destination at the same time and you will be riding again soon. Did you buy any extra parts for the toasty 400??? This has been fun to follow and to see the sort of pioneering you are doing as far as getting a bike to the arctic circle. :applause: WR Dave.

Skiing at 70 degrees, I'll have to go back down sometime and try that.

The only real scary deadline was the post office closing. My flight wasn't 'till 11PM so we had a bit of time to pack the luggage, but USPS was the trick.
We bought boxes and shrink wrap and bubble wrap on the way back from the airport and tore the luggage apart to sort everything out.

I realized the engine was too heavy for comfort so I decided a quick fix would be to pop the clutch. We didn't have a large enough socket so we estimated the size and went to an auto parts store where I bought 2 sockets to be sure, big and bigger. We get back and both of them were too small, so Tom drove me back and got the biggest socket they had, and it fit, but now we're getting a bit nervous on the time. The USPS truck pulled up to drop Tom's mail and she confirmed that the post office closed at 5:30. We hussled and got the 3 boxes packed in time, but when the engine was overweight (by only 5 ounces) I thought we were in trouble. Luckily we had double boxed the engine and had beefed up the inner box before we covered it. I borrowed a knife from the clerk, cut open the outer box, and the inner box alone made the weight.

It's 1PM EST right now, I'm in Ottawa (Canada) and just got through customs. The first agent thought I was in for a lot of trouble but the 2nd guy took an interest in the story and talked to lots of officials and got the ball rolling, and the 3rd guy who actually scanned the bags had a bike and just wanted to talk bikes, so I really lucked out. I only had to pay $137.12 taxes, basically on 1/2 the bike.

I claimed $1000 each for the 3 boxes I sent by USPS, and had the postal receipts in my pocket at the border. I'll get dinged another $137 when they arrive in Pang.

The semi bad news is that I couldn’t get the proper motor vehicle form from the border guys in Phoenix (since I only had 1/2 the bike) so the Canadian border couldn't issue me the F2 form required to license the bike. I knew this when I split the bike in 2, but really had no choice. The good news is that he didn't destroy the VIN number (which I was told would happen) so I still may have a shot getting it plated in Nunavut. I know the Registrar of Motor Vehicles very well and even drove one of his Hogs to the Sturgis Rally for him a few years ago. (Fun trip, met a nice girl - she liked my farmer tan) He's a biker and if any strings can be pulled, he'll do everything he can.

My return trip from Pang to Phoenix is 8018 miles, but now I have to make a slight detour. My house on the east coast in Halifax just sold, so I'm flying there in an hour to pack it up. The deal closes at the end of February, but I have to be back to work on Monday, and it takes 2 days to get to Pang, so I head back on Saturday. That only gives me a couple of days, but after what Tom and I just went through, it should be a breeze.

My return trip from Ottawa to Halifax is 1200 miles and I don't want to drag the bike with me, so I'm storing it at the airport in Ottawa and will pick it up on my way back through on Saturday. Sunday I'll be back in Pang and can start bolting things back together. At least I have all of the bolts with me.

During my spare time in Halifax (haha) I'm going to grab some parts for the 4hunny, and I'm going to look for an AIS plug kit for the 450 too, so I can pop it in during the reassembly. Since everything is apart I'll have a good chance to grease the head and rear linkage, and to get familiar with the new bike. I took it for a quick spin when I bought it, and there is a world of difference compared to my 99. The 450 feels as small and light as a 125, and a lot more power than the 400. I can't wait to get it modded and properly set up.

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 13, 2008 - 02:58 PM

She's hot nice work! Did you give her a little frostbite:busted:

• 2lcf

Posted February 13, 2008 - 09:05 PM

It's amazing what people will do to ride...........I am VERY impressed with this whole story......keep us posted.........I've enjoyed reading all of your trials.......

• bhiggins25

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:48 PM

It's been said before but bears repeating. Best. Thread. Ever.

Thanks to Frostbite and Thumper Tom for sharing with the rest of us. Look forward to hearing more.

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 15, 2008 - 06:37 AM

Frostbite has been up for four straight days trying to put that thing back together. He's probably trying to remember what he did with the shock.:applause:
Hows the progress?

• mandrik

Posted February 16, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I love checking my email and seeing "how to fit a wr in your mailbox" update. best. thread. ever.

• Frostbite

Posted February 17, 2008 - 06:26 PM

Frostbite has been up for four straight days trying to put that thing back together. He's probably trying to remember what he did with the shock.:applause:
Hows the progress?

It's Sunday, Feb 17, and I just arrived back in Pang, at the Arctic Circle.
Sorry for the lapse in communication, but I had to take a detour to Nova Scotia on the way back from Phoenix.

I was going to start bolting the bike together as soon as I landed today, but, of the 3 suitcases full of bike parts I was traveling with - only 1 landed here with me. The other 2 got bumped due to lack of space on the plane. Hopefully they’ll arrive on tomorrow’s flight. They contain the frame, wheels, and swingarm, enough to get a good start reassembling while I wait for the other 3 shipped boxes to arrive. I’m going to check the post office when it opens tomorrow morning, but generally it takes 2 to 3 weeks for packages to arrive.

The bag that did fly in with me had most of the nuts and bolts, but the rest was mainly plastic and electronics, so there’s not much I can assemble now. If the frame lands tomorrow I’ll have lots to do.

Here's what was in this suitcase, 50 pounds worth of bike.
All these bits made the trip undamaged. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rest will be in as good shape.

Here's what my round trip looked like - Pang to Iqaluit to Ottawa to Atlanta to Phoenix, and then Phoenix to Philedalphia to Ottawa to Halifax, back to Ottawa, Iqaluit and finally back to Pang. The trip round to Phoenix was just over 8000 miles, and the detour to Halifax was another 1200.

• Chooch68

Posted February 17, 2008 - 09:40 PM

I just came across this thread 5 minutes ago and I have to start from the beginning. This is too good to be true. From just the little bit that I've read, this may just be the B.T.E. Great job Frostbite. Hope the rest of your bike arrives soon.

p.s. it even looks awesome in pieces.:applause:

• bhiggins25

Posted February 18, 2008 - 09:07 AM

Frostbite,

Did you get a GYTR or equivalent jetting/AIS kit? If not, let us know what you need and we'll get it to you.

Ben

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simonreeves

Posted February 18, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I rode my new bike the 30 miles home from the dealers, your marathon trip kind of puts things into perspective! That's a lot of effort to go to, i can just imagine the satisfaction when you reassemble it and finally get to ride it. Hope you enjoy it as much as i've enjoyed this thread !:applause:

• Frostbite

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:38 PM

I'm glad you folks are finding this entertaining, it certainly has been for me, and I’m sure ThumperTom would agree. Thanks for the offer BHig, the jetting will definitely need adjusting.

I made a mistrake in my previous post, only 2 bags flying north had bike parts. US airways has a 50 pound limit but First Air has a 75 pound limit, so I split one of the bags into the other 2 to save on excess baggage. The 2 missing bags flew into town this afternoon, 1 had bike parts, the other was clothing.
The newly arrived bag held the frame and subframe, with the rads tucked inside for protection, 2 wheels, rear fender and side covers, swingarm, and my bathroom scale. Everything arrived in perfect condition except the bag itself and the scale.

I was a bit worried when I saw the bag - it had most of the zipper tabs torn off, 1 wheel torn off, and a few holes poked in it. The first thing I took out was the scale, and it looked like this. I expected the wheels to be dinged up but they and everything else was perfect. Hopefully the 3 USPS packages will arrive soon, and in good shape.

I got a few other packages in the mail today – new studs and backing plates, a gallon of synthetic engine oil rated to -50F, a gallon of premix coolant rated to -62F, and a new inline block heater. After the incident with the electric element heater, I’m not taking any chances. I would cry if the new bike burnt.

I just finished unpacking the second bag, here’s what I’ve got.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 18, 2008 - 07:34 PM

:) :applause: :cry: Holy Moly Man...the things you gotta do to ride a bike up there....you get the ride or die award hands down dude. Did you check with the coast guard to see if you could crate it up and have them airdrop it with a parachute on one of their routine flights..you know like a controlled burn kinda deal. Controlled burns are something the fire departments do for training down here that doubles as cleanup and fire prevention during dry times. I had them burn off some of my property for training by simply contacting the Fire Chief and asking. I had to sign off on it but it saved me from hogging and swinging various tools for days on end. They did it in a days time. I just wondered if the Coast Guard might train in a similar fashion:excuseme: I have seen them do drops at airshows and that could work..guess you would just have to get to know somebody...Its worth asking about...right? Good luck gettin it back together...good luck gettin it back for that matter,

• Frostbite

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:01 PM

:Did you check with the coast guard to see if you could crate it up and have them airdrop it with a parachute on one of their routine flights..you know like a controlled burn kinda deal. Controlled burns are something the fire departments do for training down here that doubles as cleanup and fire prevention during dry times.

Hey DS, the coast guard flies an ice reconnaissance patrol plane up here in the summertime, helping the ships stay out of the way of shifting ice packs. They also have ships up here in the summertime, but I can’t wait that long, and if I did I’d miss the best riding season.

As for controlled burns, we’re well above the tree line so there’s nothing to burn, well, except for the occasional motorcycle, but no forest fires.

Speaking of airdrops - I happened to see them loading my bags at the airport in Philedalphia. The little buggys that they tow the bags around in are 2 levels high, and my bags were on top. They pulled up beside the plane and pushed the bags from both levels onto the runway. I'm glad the engine wasn't on the plane, there's a good chance something would've broken when it bounced off the pavement.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 19, 2008 - 05:44 AM

Ouch on the bags man..what do we expect though..if I had to load and unload bags all day while trying to keep up with the flight schedule for $10 an hour and my help called in sick:blah: :) I think I might push em and toss em a little bit too. Wonder how the USPS is treating those boxes of yours? They gotta fly em too right:eek:
I only made mention of the fire dept. to exemplify training exercises working out in the publics favor. Wouldn't expect any trees up there and wouldn't expect a fire dept. to fly that far either. However, if you do find out that the coast guard is willing to do a drop in their training exercises let me know. Coast guard base for me is about 6 miles away from my house. If I needed something from Texas or Florida I might be willing to give that a try. I think that would be a cool way to get a bike...May be able to get Yamaha to aid in the whole process as they could make another cool ass WR commercial out of something like that. Maybe show you getting up and drinking a cup of coffee and eating breakfast then you throw on your gear and walk out to the garage and see your bike burnt up from the block heater...One quick call over a big radio unit to a Yamaha dealer then pan to the coast guard base where a guy takes the radio call and rides a WR into a Crate on a belly loaded plane and blast off...time lapses and pan to you walking out your door and a crate with a blue and white chute slams the ground...you pop it open, fire it off and ride like a banshee to work:thumbsup: You know...part of the WHY WAIT sales event!:applause:

• Frostbite

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:03 AM

I think that would be a cool way to get a bike...May be able to get Yamaha to aid in the whole process as they could make another cool ass WR commercial out of something like that. Maybe show you getting up and drinking a cup of coffee and eating breakfast then you throw on your gear and walk out to the garage and see your bike burnt up from the block heater...One quick call over a big radio unit to a Yamaha dealer then pan to the coast guard base where a guy takes the radio call and rides a WR into a Crate on a belly loaded plane and blast off...time lapses and pan to you walking out your door and a crate with a blue and white chute slams the ground...you pop it open, fire it off and ride like a banshee to work:thumbsup: You know...part of the WHY WAIT sales event!:banghead:

Right on DS, you've got some great ideas.:applause: I think that would be a geat commercial for Yamaha, but before they film it I think they should hire you as Director of Marketing. The Why Wait tie in is awesome!:) :cry:

• thumper tom

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Frostbite,:applause: Glad to see that most of the bike made it , and undamaged, hopefully the engine and shocks will come thru in good shape, YA- maybe Yamaha will catch wind of this and put you in a commercial, we can only hope , if there is ANYTHING you need you know I and this community of thumpers will help ya get :) , I''l be in touch

Toms

• Frostbite

Posted February 19, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Frostbite,:applause: Glad to see that most of the bike made it , and undamaged, hopefully the engine and shocks will come thru in good shape, YA- maybe Yamaha will catch wind of this and put you in a commercial, we can only hope , if there is ANYTHING you need you know I and this community of thumpers will help ya get :) , I''l be in touch

Toms

Hi Tom, good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Yamaha has officially caught wind of this story. I thought DS was on to something there with his tie in to "Why Wait" sales event, so this morning I sent an email to Yamaha with a quick outline of the story, DS's suggestion for advertising, and a link to this thread. I just got the reply a few minutes ago. They wished me well but said:

"Good afternoon! It's quite a story but I'm afraid we don't encourage cross border shopping."

I'm rarely at a loss for words, but...............................................?

• thumper tom

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:05 PM

MAybe they should change their slogan to your words " what ever it takes "

• dirtysouth

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hi Tom, good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Yamaha has officially caught wind of this story. I thought DS was on to something there with his tie in to "Why Wait" sales event, so this morning I sent an email to Yamaha with a quick outline of the story, DS's suggestion for advertising, and a link to this thread. I just got the reply a few minutes ago. They wished me well but said:

"Good afternoon! It's quite a story but I'm afraid we don't encourage cross border shopping."

I'm rarely at a loss for words, but...............................................?

Betcha they still try it if they can find a smooth enough talker to push it up to the Bossman/Bosswoman. Why not call it Maine or Wisconsin or Alabama for that matter and say everyone is snowed in or someone missed the train or carpool or something...I think that you just gave someone an idea. I really hope that they run with it.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.