How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • Kirkster

Posted February 07, 2008 - 11:27 AM

(which is nice as alcohol is 100% illegal where I live)

:worthy: :ride: :blah:

Wow what is the birth rate up there? I figure there is not much else to do up there for entertainment and to keep warm... :busted:

I have been following this closely. Wish I was in Phoenix and could help. Good luck and take lots of pictures for us tracking the adventure...

• Frostbite

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:18 PM

Unbelievable thread Frosty... I'm sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to hear "The rest of the Story" (spoken in your best Andy Rooney voice!) You are WILD!!!

Well, I hope this one turns out as well as Andy Roonie’s stories.

:worthy: :ride: :blah:

Wow what is the birth rate up there? I figure there is not much else to do up there for entertainment and to keep warm... :busted:

I have been following this closely. Wish I was in Phoenix and could help. Good luck and take lots of pictures for us tracking the adventure...

You're bang on with your thinking, one of the communities in Nunavut had the highest birthrate per capita in the country. Thanks for the offer to help and the well wishing.

There's one fairly important detail I forgot to mention this morning. In order for the VIN # to legally cross the border, I have to accompany the bike across. The only way that can happen is if I take the bike in my checked luggage and walk it through customs.

The extra baggage charge is not much more than the USPS shipping, and if this works, I won't have to wait for the mail to arrive. The bike will land when I do, if they don't lose my luggage that is.

To make it even more interesting, there is a clause that states that if part of the vehicle is missing at the border, it won't be accepted as a complete vehicle and the VIN gets destroyed. 2 things I can't take on the plane - the battery and the rear shock. I'm going to ship them as dangerous goods cargo.

Hopefully those 2 pieces won't wreck the deal. If worse comes to worse and the VIN# doesn't make it, I can still bring the bike in as used parts, but can't license it. That's not so bad since I've probably only run my '99 on the road a hundred miles over the past 8 years. It'd be nice to have it street legal, but not a big deal if it's off road only.

• WR_Dave

Posted February 07, 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hey Frostbite , are you coming through Calgary or are you going straight down out of another center? WR Dave.

• Frostbite

Posted February 07, 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hey Frostbite , are you coming through Calgary or are you going straight down out of another center? WR Dave.

Hey Dave, I'm in Ottawa right now, and fly from here to Atlanta to Phoenix.

• WR_Dave

Posted February 07, 2008 - 07:22 PM

Too bad, I figured since I couldn't help out or have a beer with you while on holiday, maybe I could offer a place to stay and have a beer and a meal if you were coming through here. Sorry to hear about landing in Ottawa --LOL. Keep this thread going till you get that '07 going. Make sure you jet that carb while it's out, You won't want to do it again, I promise you. My '07 uses the same jetting as my '02 WR 426 but it likes a little bit richer needle ( one clip lower ) Good Luck and make sure you put on the proper sun block for the change in temp your headed for. :busted: WR Dave.

• Frostbite

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:24 AM

Too bad, I figured since I couldn't help out or have a beer with you while on holiday, maybe I could offer a place to stay and have a beer and a meal if you were coming through here. Sorry to hear about landing in Ottawa --LOL. Keep this thread going till you get that '07 going. Make sure you jet that carb while it's out, You won't want to do it again, I promise you. My '07 uses the same jetting as my '02 WR 426 but it likes a little bit richer needle ( one clip lower ) Good Luck and make sure you put on the proper sun block for the change in temp your headed for. :worthy: WR Dave.

Thanks for the offer Dave, and sorry I'm going to miss a home cooked meal. Good advice on the jetting, and the sunblock.:busted:

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 08, 2008 - 07:39 AM

I'm curious, How much would it cost to buy a 2008 still in a crate and have it shipped to you?:busted: Did you compare the effort+cost of bike+other fees+Advil? vs the fore mentioned option. Good luck I admire your persistence. what does one do all they way up there anyway?

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Frostbite to Customs Agent {jedi mind trick} Yes, all the parts to this motorcycle are right here. What's that? No it does not need a shock absorber, there is no shock absorber, this is not what you are looking for.[/Jedi mind trick]

• Frostbite

Posted February 08, 2008 - 03:54 PM

I'm curious, How much would it cost to buy a 2008 still in a crate and have it shipped to you?:worthy: Did you compare the effort+cost of bike+other fees+Advil? vs the fore mentioned option. Good luck I admire your persistence. what does one do all they way up there anyway?

I'm the construction inspector on a new hospital being built in Pangnirtung. I work 7 days a week for 2 months straight and then get a week out to regain some sanity, and this is how I'm spending it. I may be even less sane after this trip, but I find riding is the best therapy, and this 2007 will be like a new drug.

New bike or used doesn’t matter, shipping cost is the same.

I also priced a new 2007 and 2008 and this was cheaper, and has a few modifications already. It has only 150 miles on it so it’s not far from new.

If I had’ve known at the beginning how complicated this was going to get, I may have done things differently. Now it’s turned into a little adventure holiday and the challenges make it interesting. More important than effort+cost of bike+other fees is now I’ll have lots of people to ride with. If this works I’m sure you’ll all be jamming your bikes in your suitcase and flying up for a visit and a spin in the snow.

Frostbite to Customs Agent {jedi mind trick} Yes, all the parts to this motorcycle are right here. What's that? No it does not need a shock absorber, there is no shock absorber, this is not what you are looking for.[/Jedi mind trick]

Ahh yes MasterMoto, the ways of the Jedi could prove very helpful. “It’s not a mono-shock, it’s a nono-shock, no shock, no rear shock, it’s a misprint in the manual.:ride:

Well, I blast outta here after lunch tomorrow and land in Phoenix at 8. ThumperTom has decreased my Advil requirements. He was going to help me work on the bike, but has substantially upgrading his offer.

He has suggested that we use his garage and tools to strip the bike since he’s better set up for it, soooooo….he’s going to pick me up at the hotel on Sunday morning, head off to pick the bike up, take it back to his place, and help me spread it all over his garage floor. He’s also taking Monday off to help me tie up any loose ends. And all this for someone he’s never met. Just knowing he’ll be there to help has cut the pressure in half for me. Thanks ThumperTom.:busted:

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 09, 2008 - 08:44 AM

I'm the construction inspector on a new hospital being built in Pangnirtung. I work 7 days a week for 2 months straight and then get a week out to regain some sanity, and this is how I'm spending it. I may be even less sane after this trip, but I find riding is the best therapy, and this 2007 will be like a new drug.

New bike or used doesn’t matter, shipping cost is the same.

I also priced a new 2007 and 2008 and this was cheaper, and has a few modifications already. It has only 150 miles on it so it’s not far from new.

If I had’ve known at the beginning how complicated this was going to get, I may have done things differently. Now it’s turned into a little adventure holiday and the challenges make it interesting. More important than effort+cost of bike+other fees is now I’ll have lots of people to ride with. If this works I’m sure you’ll all be jamming your bikes in your suitcase and flying up for a visit and a spin in the snow.

Ahh yes MasterMoto, the ways of the Jedi could prove very helpful. “It’s not a mono-shock, it’s a nono-shock, no shock, no rear shock, it’s a misprint in the manual.:worthy:

Well, I blast outta here after lunch tomorrow and land in Phoenix at 8. ThumperTom has decreased my Advil requirements. He was going to help me work on the bike, but has substantially upgrading his offer.

He has suggested that we use his garage and tools to strip the bike since he’s better set up for it, soooooo….he’s going to pick me up at the hotel on Sunday morning, head off to pick the bike up, take it back to his place, and help me spread it all over his garage floor. He’s also taking Monday off to help me tie up any loose ends. And all this for someone he’s never met. Just knowing he’ll be there to help has cut the pressure in half for me. Thanks ThumperTom.:busted:

I can't even get to moab for a ride trip. It's only 10 hours drive. Sorry the arctic is below that on the list, but there. It just show that this is a fraternity. I think when it comes down to it riders are there for each other. Good luck and ThumperTom gets the unusual good gas from me!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted February 09, 2008 - 09:07 PM

I can't even get to moab for a ride trip. It's only 10 hours drive. Sorry the arctic is below that on the list, but there. It just show that this is a fraternity. I think when it comes down to it riders are there for each other. Good luck and ThumperTom gets the unusual good gas from me!

I gave ThumperTom some TT fuel yesterday, and I'll be giving him some real fuel tomorrow.

I touched down in Phoenix a little while ago and am clipped from a bit of jetlag and a full day of flying. I'm crashing early so I'll be ready to go when ThumperTom wheel in here at 8AM. Then the fun begins!:applause:

• Kirkster

Posted February 10, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Take lots of pics as I am sure this is going to be fun...

• WR_Dave

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:10 AM

How's it going guys, Going skiing today up at the Snowbowl, but wanted to check on the progress. Also I wanted to make sure Frostbite doesn't mistake his coolant for gatorade :) (JK). Keep this post going till the bike is back running again. WR Dave :applause:

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 11, 2008 - 12:06 PM

How's it going guys, Going skiing today up at the Snowbowl, but wanted to check on the progress. Also I wanted to make sure Frostbite doesn't mistake his coolant for gatorade :) (JK). Keep this post going till the bike is back running again. WR Dave :applause:

Jeez Dave, aren't you supposed to be on holidays too? What are you doing logging into Thumpertalk while on holidays?

• WR_Dave

Posted February 11, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hey Bill, the wife sleeps alot more than me so I figured the hotels all have free wireless internet and I have a laptop, seems like a nice quiet thing to do while I'm awake and she's sleeping. Anyway, I didn't want to be too far away from all you guy's and be missing out on all the fun. :applause: WR Dave

• thumper tom

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hey everybody, Frostbite (Tim) wanted me to give you guys an update, Well I just dropped FB at the airport headed for the great white north, most of the bike is with him and the other parts we shipped , it a long story so I'll let Frostbite Explain it, But it Truly was an experience, Tim is a Great guy and Im glad to have met him and had the opportunity to help him in his Qwest,
We took lots of pics and he will post on wed or thurs when he gets back, thanks for all the interest

ThumperTom

• Frostbite

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hey everybody, Frostbite (Tim) wanted me to give you guys an update, Well I just dropped FB at the airport headed for the great white north, most of the bike is with him and the other parts we shipped , it a long story so I'll let Frostbite Explain it, But it Truly was an experience, Tim is a Great guy and Im glad to have met him and had the opportunity to help him in his Qwest,
We took lots of pics and he will post on wed or thurs when he gets back, thanks for all the interest

ThumperTom

Hi Tom, I can't thank you enough for your help, skill in working on the bike, patience in putting up with the crap I had to deal with, great ideas for dealing with crap, and for treating me like a member of the family (a liked member of the family) for my entire 2 days in Phoenix.

Hello everyone, it's Monday evening, 10PM, and I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport waiting to board my flight to Philadelphia and then on to Ottawa, Canada. Tom and I were pretty much full tilt the past 2 days, and it’s only now that I can finally relax, all of the new 450 is in transit. I just checked 3 bags full at the air terminal with absolutely no issues, and breezed through security the same.

The main reason for this breeze through security was Thumper Tom’s suggestion that we try a dry run to the airport this morning before lunch. I had initially received clearance to fly everything but the rear shock which wasn’t bad at all. I called this morning to reconfirm with the airport authorities and got someone with a slightly different attitude, who said NO part of the bike could fly. This threw a serious wrench into our plans as the 5 suitcases were carefully packed, weighed and ready to go.

Tom suggested we take the bags to the airport for an absolute confirmation. 2 TSA agents and a supervisor later we learned that no part of the engine, forks, brakes, shock, battery, exhaust, rubber tires (wheels are OK) or fuel tank could be brought on the plane. We had some serious rearranging to do so we booted it to a U-Haul store to buy packing supplies and then back to Tom’s place to start again from scratch.

Tom offered to pop the tires off the wheels so in return I offered that he keep the tires, and he happily complied. While Tom, slipped the rubber off, I popped the clutch out to lighten the engine enough to ship. We stuffed al the non-flyable parts into 3 boxes barely under the weight and size limitations, and then ripped to the Post office before it closed. 2 of the boxes were close, but the engine box we knew was bang on the limit. When weighed it was 5 ounces over the 66 pound limit. The USPS agent was a very nice fella, and we both thought he’d ignore the 5 ounces, but he said if it was weighed again along the weigh it could be rejected. We had double boxed the engine for protection, so we borrowed a knife from the agent and stripped away the outer box and dropped it to 63+ pounds, and off it went with the other 2, headed straight for the Arctic Circle.

Then we squealed back to Tom’s to reorganize the baggage. We managed to fit everything else into 3 bags, I grabbed a quick shower, and Tom drove me to the airport, 3 hours before flight time, thinking I’d need the full 3 hours to deal with security regarding the bike parts. Well, they went through the scanner and TSA didn’t bat an eye. The airline agent didn’t even measure the bags for oversize, or complain about the weight. Off the went up the conveyor belt, heading for Canadian customs in Ontario, where I’ll meet up with them tomorrow when I land at 11AM.

Tom and I had a few obstacles to overcome, but everything worked out in the end, and I made a great new friend, well 3 actually, his roommate Russ and his cat RJ are pretty cool too. My flights being paged now so I have to run. I wanted to post a bit before I flew, more to come when I get through Canadian customs.

Cheers

Not-so-frosty Frosty

• Frostbite

Posted February 11, 2008 - 09:35 PM

A few quick pics:

From this:to this
and this in just under 2 hours.
Start
to finish
more to come, but I've gotta go.

• Frostbite

Posted February 12, 2008 - 04:00 AM

A few hours later and I'm sitting in the Philly airport, 6:30 AM.

Yesterday Morning the bike looked like this, ready to fly.

Yesterday evening the bike looked like this, 50/50.

Here's a list of what flew with me:

Bag #1 - All the plastic, electronics, most cables, and the handlebars.

Bag # 2 - The frame, with the tail section removed and stuffed inside, the 2 rads wrapped and fitted inside the frame for protection, and a wheel strapped to either side of the frame. (no rubber)

Originally it looked like this, until we learned that the gas tank couldn’t fly, so we re-arranged a bit. This package definitely looked cooler.

Bag # 3 – The only bike part was the swingarm. The rest was my clothes, tools, and my bathroom scale.

Charge for 1 additional piece of luggage (2 are free) $80.
All the rest fit into the 3 boxes that were mailed.

Box #1 – Forks, muffler and header pipe, front caliper and master cylinder, carburetor. Total shipping fee with insurance - $93.30

Box #2Fuel tank, seat, airbox, clutch assembly, triple clamps, rear caliper and master cylinder. Total shipping fee with insurance - $79.30.

Box #3 – complete engine minus the clutch (basket, all plates, nut, lockwasher and the ball bearing removed.) Total shipping fee with insurance - $111.50

Total mailing costs $284.10 plus $80 excess baggage fee 364.10.

Watch that ball bearing if you’re working on your clutch. Some years have a ball, some don’t. This 2007 had a ball.

• Frostbite

Posted February 12, 2008 - 04:14 AM

Hey Bill, the wife sleeps alot more than me so I figured the hotels all have free wireless internet and I have a laptop, seems like a nice quiet thing to do while I'm awake and she's sleeping. Anyway, I didn't want to be too far away from all you guy's and be missing out on all the fun. :) WR Dave

How is the skiing Dave?:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.