How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:10 AM

Frostbite, Count me IN, I even have a post office 1/2 mile from the house, or a ups about 2 miles, whatever you need , I,ll be there for ya
Tom

You know, this is what makes this community of bikers so great. People willing to lend a hand to strangers. I applaud you!!:worthy: :ride:

:busted:

• MotoGoalie

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Best thread ever!

seriously, this is the most entertaining thread ive ever read here.:busted:

• Frostbite

Posted February 05, 2008 - 12:49 PM

Frostbite, Count me IN, I even have a post office 1/2 mile from the house, or a ups about 2 miles, whatever you need , I,ll be there for ya

Right on, Thanks Thumper Tom, your help will make this flow much more smoothly.

You know, this is what makes this community of bikers so great. People willing to lend a hand to strangers. I applaud you!!:ride: :blah:

:busted:

And they don't get much stranger than me.:blah: But seriously, I'm sure a lot of you feel then same way that I do - that you could trust most of the people here and would sit down and have a beer with them.

Feels good here in the brotherhood.:worthy:

• Frostbite

Posted February 05, 2008 - 01:09 PM

seriously, this is the most entertaining thread ive ever read here.:busted:

Well, to maintain the good ratings (haha) I'll take lots of pictures of Thumper Tom and I trying to stuff the bike into my suitcases and boxes as we play Beat The Clock. If I'm sweating in the pictures it won't be from stress, it'll be from heat stroke. Coming from -40, anything with a + sign in front of it is going to feel like beach weather to me.

One last question for everyone - do you think the complete WR engine weighs more than 66 pounds? I've had mine out plenty and it's pretty easy to handle, but I honestly couldn't say how heavy it is and I think it may be close.

I am prepared to pop off the flywheel, and the clutch, kickstart assy and anything else that'll come off without splitting the cases, but it would be nice not to have to open it up.

• tweav

Posted February 05, 2008 - 01:26 PM

I don't think the engine is much more then that . I would say put it in the lightest bag you can find , with no oil . I would say that it will surely be under without the clutch.

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:41 PM

The problem I ran into today was importing the bike into Canada. It seems that people regularly try to smuggle kit bikes which are not legal in Canada, by dissassembling them and shipping as parts. Therefore the border patrol watches for motorcycle parts being shipped. If the bike is not easily identifiable as a Yamaha WR 450, they said it could take months before the bike parts could be identified as a complete WR 450, and I would have to pay the storage fees while it waited for confirmation.

Frosty

Is there anything you can do here to help the border patrol approve the importing of the bike.

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if having photos of the parts and where they came from on the bike, etc etc, may make this go a bit smoother?

P.S. I live in Edmonton, which is a fair ways from where you live, but in Canada none the less. If you need a hand, let me know.

Best of luck.

• markvfr

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Is there anything you can do here to help the border patrol approve the importing of the bike.

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if having photos of the parts and where they came from on the bike, etc etc, may make this go a bit smoother?

P.S. I live in Edmonton, which is a fair ways from where you live, but in Canada none the less. If you need a hand, let me know.

Best of luck.

What we should do, is set up a hand-me-over-train and hop the bike over from place to place until it arrives in Nunavut.:worthy: Someone did this on ADVrider across the US. I can receive it in Calgary, pass it on to drtbk4ever, etc... now that would be a team effort! :busted:

• Frostbite

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Best of luck.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I'm going to take lots of pictures to document the process, partly to prove to the authorities that it is what it is, and partly so it’ll actually be identifiable as a WR when I stick all the pieces back together. Haha.

One problem with the stuff crossing the border is that while I will be with the parts in my suitcase when they try to cross the border, I won’t be with the mailed packages to help coddle them along.

Another thing I just learned is that I may get stung with some heavy duty duties. If I bring the bike across in one piece, I pay a $207 vehicle import fee, and then pay tax when I register it. If I bring it across in pieces, I will have to pay duty on the value of the parts, and I’m sure that’ll be a lot more than $207, but it’ll still be cheaper than paying the shipping, and if they won’t let me register it, I’ll save the tax. Or maybe I'll mark "gifts" on all of the boxes:smirk:

Thanks for the offer to help, and I do have an idea. How bout you wheelie back and forth in front of the border crossing, and while they’re busy chasing you, I’ll sneak the pieces across.:worthy: :busted:

• Frostbite

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:18 PM

What we should do, is set up a hand-me-over-train and hop the bike over from place to place until it arrives in Nunavut.:worthy: Someone did this on ADVrider across the US. I can receive it in Calgary, pass it on to drtbk4ever, etc... now that would be a team effort! :busted:

Great idea! Who wants to take the shift covering the thousand miles of barren tundra? I get to enjoy that every day so I'll give you all a crack at it.:ride:

• C-P

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Ditto on the entertainment - I'm anxious to see how this one goes! But seriously, I bet without a doubt you could get enough people here to haul the bike from Phoenix to at least the middle of Canada...I'd be happy to cover Minnesota for you. But in any way you go, Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Ditto on the entertainment - I'm anxious to see how this one goes! But seriously, I bet without a doubt you could get enough people here to haul the bike from Phoenix to at least the middle of Canada...I'd be happy to cover Minnesota for you. But in any way you go, Good luck!

Thanks for the offer wabbit, I do appreciate it, but the problem is not the ground shipping, that's fairly cheap. The problem is that all of the communities in Nunavut are isolated, there are no roads connecting them to each other or to the civilized world. Everything must fly, and the nearest airport where the bike could be dropped off is 1500 miles to the south. The airfreight from there is the killer.

I just covered those 1500 miles today, flew from 66 degrees north to 44 degrees north. It's been -40 the past few days in Pang, and the forecast when I arrive in Phoenix on Saturday is +73, quite a temperature swing. I'm thinking I may be the only guy at the beach.

I land in Phoenix Saturday evening at 8PM, check in to the hotel, have a few beer (which is nice as alcohol is 100% illegal where I live) and then Thumper Tom and I will start stripping the scooter at 9 AM on Sunday - well - I'll be there at 9 and Thumper Tom can sleep in as late as he likes, I'm just glad to have the help.

If all goes well, I'll be flying out on Monday night with 2 suitcases full of blue, and the rest will be stuffed in a Phoenix mailbox enroute to the Arctic.

• butti

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:58 PM

this is awsome! good luck!!

• tweav

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:13 PM

cant you just throw a dress and a hat on the bike , buy an extra plane seat . anybody asks it's your new wife..:busted: :worthy: :ride: lol

• Frostbite

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:38 PM

cant you just throw a dress and a hat on the bike , buy an extra plane seat . anybody asks it's your new wife..:busted: :worthy: :ride: lol

Haha, that still doesn't help though - the seat is over $2K too.

• tweav

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:20 PM

how many wr parts can you wear on your person? I'm sure I could carry all the bolts,carb and wiring cdi and such on me if it were me you could stuff 30 -40 lbs of parts in your pockets and such

• Frostbite

Posted February 06, 2008 - 06:31 PM

how many wr parts can you wear on your person? I'm sure I could carry all the bolts,carb and wiring cdi and such on me if it were me you could stuff 30 -40 lbs of parts in your pockets and such

Hahaha, another good idea, but have you been through airport security lately? The screws in my ankle set off the metal detector and I have a hard enough time getting my laptop and digital camera through. They'd probably think the carb was a miniature nuclear bomb.:busted:

• tweav

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:57 PM

No I have not been to an airport in awhile . last time I was there I did get strip searched ,I have 19 screws and 2 plates in my leg. but I think if you make sure that all the parts on you don't look like a bomb or a gun or any other sort or weapon , then you can make it thru maybe

• jetfuel

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:36 AM

Frostbite I have been following this thread and admire your hardcore penchant for fun with a yamaha:thumbsup: . Sorry to see what happened to your old ride. It would be nice if maybe Yamaha could find out about your plight and Give you a little support for brand loyalty:ride: , Good luck, JF

• Frostbite

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Frostbite I have been following this thread and admire your hardcore penchant for fun with a yamaha:thumbsup: . Sorry to see what happened to your old ride. It would be nice if maybe Yamaha could find out about your plight and Give you a little support for brand loyalty:ride: , Good luck, JF

Thanks JF, I may drop Yamaha a note.

I just finished dealing with the Canadian and US border Agencies, and the Canadian Motor Vehicle Import office. After several hours on the phone (and transferred so many times I had to write a list to keep track of who I was currently talking to) I have obtained approval to dismantle the bike, ship across the border, and have it legally registered in Canada once it's reassembled.

Initially I was told that if the vehicle crossed the border in pieces, the VIN # was automatically destroyed and the vehicle could never be registered in Canada or the US after that.

I pleaded my case and explained the extenuating circumstances, and just got a call giving me the thumbs up. It took a while to untangle the red tape but it was worth it. Not only can I license the bike, but I don't have to pay regular import duties on it.:busted:

• 89TRX350RX

Posted February 07, 2008 - 09:40 AM

Unbelievable thread Frosty... I'm sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to hear "The rest of the Story" (spoken in your best Andy Rooney voice!) You are WILD!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.