How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:21 AM

Dude,

It's entirely commendable that you are going to great lengths to get a bike but you could have picked an easier bike to work on. I cringe anytime that I have to work on the shock / carb / engine area of my 07 wr450. Yamaha did not make the thing very accessible! USPS rules !

Good Luck to you !

STS.

Well, nothing up here is easy, and there are no mechanics or bike shops, so you get used to doing everything yourself. At least I have a nice workshop aka, my laundry room. Here's a shot from last fall when I snapped a valve.

Posted Image

and then a few days later back in one pece.

Posted Image

p.s. The last time my 400 flew was last summer. We rolled the bike on the plane and when it got here I rolled it down the stairway you see in this picture, just before I snapped it.

Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted February 02, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Talk about dangerous goods. Some kid JUST beat on my window and when I opened the door my bike was engulfed in flames. FARK! That's definitely going to affect the resale value.:busted:

Block heater overdid it.

Posted Image

• Edleftat80

Posted February 03, 2008 - 08:46 AM

That sucks! I don't want to seem insensitive but, how do you like your head light? I need to replace mine and am considering one like that. It is a diamond?

• Frostbite

Posted February 03, 2008 - 10:26 AM

That sucks! I don't want to seem insensitive but, how do you like your head light? I need to replace mine and am considering one like that. It is a diamond?

Hahahaha, I'm laughing out loud! No problem changing the subject.

I just happen to have one for sale, sort of a smokey white and blue color, with smoked lenses. J/K. It was a Diamond. The light looks cool but I found that it didn't give as much useable light riding off-road as the stocker did, and I had all 3 bulbs wired to come on at once.

I've tried a few and like this one, which has blinkers built into it, nice for street legal, and a good headlight.

Posted Image

• zukrider

Posted February 03, 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hello Fellow TT'ers

I'm looking for a bit of thinking outside the box, on how to stuff a WR inside the box.

I just bought a 2007 450 in the USA, but it's going to cost me $2500 to have it shipped here to the Arctic, so I've decided to mail it to myself.

The bike is in Phoenix and I'm flying there next week to dismantle it into bite size pieces.

I'm just wondering if any special tools are required, such as the rear subframe bolts - are they regular hex or some type of torxe? I'm only in town for 24 hours, so I can't afford too many surprises.

I can bring 2 suitcases 50 pounds each on the plane with me, no charge, and the other 150 pounds will go USPS, roughly in 3 boxes from 50 to 66 pounds each, shipping under $100 each.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Suitcase #1 - front and rear wheels complete, and maybe the fenders, that should be close to 50 pounds. I just weighed my front wheel and it's 20 pounds.

Suitcase #2 - Swingarm with linkage and rear shock,
Handlebars,
Muffler
Rear subframe
Seat

Box #1 - Engine
I'm hoping that the engine will be close to the 66 pound limit so I won't have to strip to much from it.

Box #2 - Frame complete with triple clamp
Gas tank
Headlight/number plate
Rads and covers
Side panels

Box #3 - Forks
Airbox
Carb
Chain
Nuts, bolts and whatever other doo-dads are left over.

Am I missing anything? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Frosty

I never would have come up with this idea. Extreme measures for an extreme place, it should be fun.

• camaroman7d

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Did I mis-read something? I thought you said it would cost $2500 to have the bike shipped complete. Yet, it is going to cost you $2100 just for your round trip plane ticket. When you add the cost of shipping the parts to yourself isn't it going to be more expensive than just shipping the bike? Is your trip to Arizona just to get the bike or are you going to be there for business and decided to save a few buck getting the bike on the spot?

• thumper tom

Posted February 04, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hey Frostbite if you need help or something or some tools I live in Phoenix and would like to offer my help if you need it, sound exciting but also a pain in the butt, Just let me Know,

Toms

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Did I mis-read something? I thought you said it would cost $2500 to have the bike shipped complete. Yet, it is going to cost you $2100 just for your round trip plane ticket. When you add the cost of shipping the parts to yourself isn't it going to be more expensive than just shipping the bike? Is your trip to Arizona just to get the bike or are you going to be there for business and decided to save a few buck getting the bike on the spot?

This is a business trip so my flight cost isn't an issue, I'm flying anyway. My meeting isn't in Phoenix, but for an extra couple hundred bucks I bought the extra ticket. The bike is a private sale, and although I am a trusting person, I'd like to see what I'm paying for and make sure it gets shipped.

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hey Frostbite if you need help or something or some tools I live in Phoenix and would like to offer my help if you need it, sound exciting but also a pain in the butt, Just let me Know,

Toms

That's a great offer Tom, and yesterday I definitely would've taken you up on it, but the plan has changed thanks to border and motor vehicle regulations.

Shipping by USPS was not the issue at all. I spoke to them this morning and the only item that was questionable was the rear shock, and I had no problem shipping that small an item by dangerous goods methods.
The gas tank had to be thoroughly flushed out, as did the carb and the engine, so they contained no residue or gas or oil vapor.

The problem I ran into today was importing the bike into Canada. It seems that people regularly try to smuggle kit bikes which are not legal in Canada, by dissassembling them and shipping as parts. Therefore the border patrol watches for motorcycle parts being shipped. If the bike is not easily identifiable as a Yamaha WR 450, they said it could take months before the bike parts could be identified as a complete WR 450, and I would have to pay the storage fees while it waited for confirmation.

Also, the registry of motor vehicles here won't license a motor vehicle which has been disassembled, unless it is reassembled by an authorized agent approved by the manufacturer. As there are no garages here let alone bike shops or certified mechanics, I'd be SOL.

So it looks like the bike will be coming across the border in one piece, and may even have to fly north in one piece. It was good experience to run through the process though to see what's involved, and to know that mailing a bike is absolutely possible, as long as you don't cross the border into another country.

Thanks again for the generous offer.

Frosty

• dirtysouth

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:45 AM

This is a business trip so my flight cost isn't an issue, I'm flying anyway. My meeting isn't in Phoenix, but for an extra couple hundred bucks I bought the extra ticket. The bike is a private sale, and although I am a trusting person, I'd like to see what I'm paying for and make sure it gets shipped.

A business trip it will sure enuff be! Bump bump for the TT sticker on the rear fender:thumbsup: And that track on the back action is something that I didn't know about...what does one of those run you (minus shipping). Do you ever have trouble with the tread jumping off track? Good luck gettin that bike home. Maybe you could cast up a leg and throw some trainers on the back and call it your wheel chair...fly handicapp, should be a lil more roomy...and the flight attendants may take better care of you:eek:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper tom

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:21 AM

Frostbite, if you would like another opinion about your purchase, or mayne some pics i could help out with that, I currently have a 06 wr450 and do all my own maint also, I live in the valley so taking a look at the bike would be no problem,

Toms

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 01:00 PM

A business trip it will sure enuff be! Bump bump for the TT sticker on the rear fender:thumbsup: And that track on the back action is something that I didn't know about...what does one of those run you (minus shipping). Do you ever have trouble with the tread jumping off track? Good luck gettin that bike home. Maybe you could cast up a leg and throw some trainers on the back and call it your wheel chair...fly handicapp, should be a lil more roomy...and the flight attendants may take better care of you:eek:

The track is $804 Canadian, and I have beat the crap out of it and it has never slipped off.

Yeah, a cast and some training wheels, that just might work. :busted:

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Frostbite, if you would like another opinion about your purchase, or mayne some pics i could help out with that, I currently have a 06 wr450 and do all my own maint also, I live in the valley so taking a look at the bike would be no problem,

Toms

Thanks Again Tom, but no need. I'm flying into Phoenix Saturday evening so the die is cast, no turning back now. Even if the bike is crap it'll be worth the trip just to feel some heat for a change

• WR_Dave

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hey Frostbite, my wife and I will be landing in PHX Saturday afternoon, what time are you be getting there ? WR Dave

• ThunderChicken

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Best thread ever!

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hey Frostbite, my wife and I will be landing in PHX Saturday afternoon, what time are you be getting there ? WR Dave

Hey Dave,

I land at 8:05 Saturday evening. I hope we're not both there to pick up the same slightly used WR 450! Haha.

Maybe we can get together for a beer and........maybe bring a couple of wrenches with you.........:worthy: :busted:

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 06:48 PM

My schedule just isn't jiving with the new shipping and customs brokerage arrangements regarding the crated bike, so I'm back to my original plan.:busted:

I'm going to strip the bike and mail it and take my chances with the powers that be.

I've extended my stay in Phoenix to 2 days, arriving Saturday night and leaving Monday night, extra time to work, and now I can actually bring the boxes to the post office myself before I fly, and personally deal with any issues that no doubt will arise.

Thumper Tom, if you're offer's still open, you're on.

• WR_Dave

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:28 PM

Sorry Frosty , we'll be there about 6 hours earlier than you. Not sure I could convince the wife that her holiday should include doing what I do here most of the time ( working on bikes). Lucky for you I already have the '07 tucked into the garage at home and don't need to mail one to myself. LOL. Would've loved to go for a beer or two though. Good Luck and good call on the extra day to make sure things go right. WR Dave :busted:

• Frostbite

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:30 PM

Sorry Frosty , we'll be there about 6 hours earlier than you. Not sure I could convince the wife that her holiday should include doing what I do here most of the time ( working on bikes). Lucky for you I already have the '07 tucked into the garage at home and don't need to mail one to myself. LOL. Would've loved to go for a beer or two though. Good Luck and good call on the extra day to make sure things go right. WR Dave :busted:

Hey Dave

I was joking about you working on the bike, but not about the beer. Since I have 2 days in town now I'll be relaxing with a brew Saturday night instead of diving right into the bike.

Cheers

Tim

• thumper tom

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Frostbite, Count me IN, I even have a post office 1/2 mile from the house, or a ups about 2 miles, whatever you need , I,ll be there for ya
Tom

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.