How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • anathema

Posted March 25, 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hey frostbite, amazing thread. If you ever wanna come ride somewhere hot you can come down to kelowna, bc, you'd have a place to stay!

Also, ever considered one of these?:

Posted Image

800cc with a real snowmobile track.

• thumper tom

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hey FB, Hows the bike handling the frozen Tundra, just need a Update Fix, hope all is well and your having a Blast on that machine :prof:

Toms

• x2468

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:37 AM

awesome thread. i'm curious about that front ski. you were the one that introduced it to me about a year ago. since them i've wondered, does it hamper your handling at all? like does it scrape the ground at certain lean angles? or do you have to worry about clipping the back of it? seems like it's held up well even with all the abuse you put it through

• simonreeves

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:43 AM

just caught up with things again, i can see you've been busy! Nice video, especially those wheelies. Good to see you're out enjoying the WR after all the work to get it there! Good luck & keep those pics & videos coming, cheers.:prof:

• Frostbite

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:54 PM

No I was quoting the right one... If you turn up the volume, and watch you dance around the bike back and forth (With I believe Journey playing in the background) circling the front tire and forks, in screen then back out then Whammo, the tire gets you.... If you've ever riden Enduro... you'd be drooling at the helmet cam footage of when your rolling over the ice jumps and twisting around the rocks and other crap... ALMOST makes me wish I was there:thinking: :bonk:

Jamie

OK, now I understand where you're coming from on the dancing. Re the enduro comment, riding in the pack ice and mountain trails is the best, and where I do most of my riding. I have some nasty hillclimbing footage but it takes so darn long to upload from here. I'll try to put another clip together soon of some nasty trails. In the meantime, here's a clip from the weekend.

I just got back from holiday and there was 1 to 2 feet of powder everywhere, and deep drifts on the trails that are impassible. The snow on the Bay wasn’t drifted so I went out on Sunday for some fun. Normally I don’t ride on the bay since it’s flat and boring, but beating through the powder was fun for a little while.

I made a short clip and uploaded it last night. I didn’t have my helmet cam, only my digital still. I set it to movie mode and held it in my hand. It was tricky riding but got some interesting footage.

Love this thread frostbite, keep 'em comin

Thanks Jorger, I was away for a bit but I’ll be posting regularly now.

A couple of updates – my rear brake line was not cracked from the cold as I suspected, the master cylinder is the problem, not producing any pressure. Maybe the seals couldn’t handle the cold. I was about to swap on my spare 400 line when I realized it was the cylinder. I popped on the 400 cylinder and it worked fine. The bolt holes even lined up, but I had to zip ty the fluid reservoir to the frame. It’s nice to have a rear brake again, the 450 master cylinder stopped working on the first ride.

I also brought another 450 back with me last week, a brand fire new 2008. The dealer in Ottawa let me strip the bike in their shop, pic pic pic, and then I took the parts to my hotel room to bubble wrap and stuff into suitcases. While I was there I bought a PW 50 for my daughter, and had an “incident” transporting the engine to Halifax, so I decided to play it safe and sent the 450 engine back here by cargo. I just finished unloading the plane and the engine arrived intact.

These posts and this thread make me feel like a lucky dog when I think about all of the little issues that I whine about down here like sand in my fork seals and the like. Boxing up your bike, block heaters, freezing bike parts internal and external, freezing body parts and whatever else, thats tough shizzle...Thanks for posting

How’s this for an unusual riding problem. My rads blocked completely with ice during my powder ride. You can see in the Powder video that there is plenty of air flow into the radiators, and the snow hit the hot rads, melted, and refroze as ice. Actually, I don’t know if it’s a problem. The bike didn’t overheat, so the ice probably cools better than the air, and it was about 2 inches thick, so it would probably act as solid rad braces if I tip over.

Hey frostbite, amazing thread. If you ever wanna come ride somewhere hot you can come down to kelowna, bc, you'd have a place to stay!
Also, ever considered one of these?:
800cc with a real snowmobile track.

Thanks for the offer Anathema. I’ll be in Vancouver next week, but no time for any riding. I did try a 600 HO Snowhawk a couple of years ago. I rode it for 3 hours and didn’t really like it. It handled completely differently than my bike or a snowmobile. It kind’ve felt like a stand up jet ski. It was a handful to manouver at low speeds. At high speeds on good trails it was better, but it felt like riding a big touring bike, not like a sport machine. Maybe if I had more time on it I’d have liked it better.

Hey FB, How’s the bike handling the frozen Tundra, just need a Update Fix, hope all is well and your having a Blast on that machine :confused:

Toms

Hey ThumperTom, I am having a great time on the 450, riding every chance I get and lovin’ every minute of it. I did have an almost not great time on Sunday. My big fuel tank hadn't arrived yet. I ran through one tank full on Sunday afternoon, went home to refuel, and then headed out on the bay for a long distance cruise.

The bike quit after riding for a short time, out in the middle of nowhere. I knew I couldn’t be out of gas, since I just filled it, so I thought I was in trouble. I checked my GPS, 21 miles to town, -29, and only an hour of daylight left. Walking back at 3 miles per hour would land me home after midnight, in the dark, without a flashlight, and there is an occasional polar bear roaming around out there. Not a great feeling.

I checked the fuel and when I was unscrewing the cover I noticed that the short section of line between the cap and the one way vent valve had broken. I guess fuel must’ve been splashing out on the bumps. The tank was down to reserve level, so it was just the fuel, but I didn’t think I’d have enough to make it home.

The bike was working hard on the way out, pushing through the powder, so there was no easy way to conserve fuel. I flipped the vent hose over so the crack wasn’t at the cap, switched to reserve, started the engine, and began tiptoeing back to town. I almost made it, only 1.5 miles from home. I took this pic when she ran dry. I walked into town, grabbed my gas can, and hitched a ride on a sled back to the bike. The new fuel tank arrived the next day, great timing. Haha.

awesome thread. i'm curious about that front ski. you were the one that introduced it to me about a year ago. since them i've wondered, does it hamper your handling at all? like does it scrape the ground at certain lean angles? or do you have to worry about clipping the back of it? seems like it's held up well even with all the abuse you put it through

Hi X2468,
The ski does scrape when leaned over. On hard pack or ice it will unload the front tire when leaned over and cause the front end to wash out. In soft snow it’s not an issue. The back ends of the ski take a lot of abuse, and I wore my first ski down, about 4 inches scraped off of the ends. It didn’t affect the performance though, and that combined with the sides ground off a bit from cornering actually sort of customized the ski to the bike. I ran my original ski for many years without a problem, and sold it last year. I bought a new ski this year, and have broken the white Teflon part 3 times in the past few months. Although it’s the same ski, I think it must be a different grade of Teflon which can’t take the extreme cold. The original ski was bulletproof.

just caught up with things again, i can see you've been busy! Nice video, especially those wheelies. Good to see you're out enjoying the WR after all the work to get it there! Good luck & keep those pics & videos coming, cheers.:prof:

Thanks Simon, I’ll be posting regular updates. Now that I have the larger fuel tank I can explore a bit farther. I’m even thinking of making a small kamotik (dog sled) to tow a gas can behind the bike. I’ve seen a one wheel enduro trailer that mounts through the hollow rear axle, so a small sled on snow may work if I take it easy. I am a bit worried about it bouncing off a rough bump and smacking me in the back of the head.

• isaac338

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Frostbite,

If you ever have a bike to rip apart on a deadline in Halifax, get in touch - you can have free roam of my garage and tools whenever you want. I'll even pour you a beer and make you a sandwich. :prof:

• Frostbite

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Frostbite,

If you ever have a bike to rip apart on a deadline in Halifax, get in touch - you can have free roam of my garage and tools whenever you want. I'll even pour you a beer and make you a sandwich. :bonk:

Now there's an offer I can't refuse Isaac. If I swing a deal in Halifax I'll be sure to get in touch, thanks.:prof:

• infsqdldr

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:15 AM

most of the snowmachiners have to go to the mountains here because the trails in the valley get packed pretty quick. with a setup like yours i could take advantage of that. never thought something like that would be possible. most smowmachiners here wont even ride below -20'F. im gonna have to get a set of studded tires and a ski late summer. cheers.

• simonreeves

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:26 AM

i know what you mean about polar bears, where i ride some of the rabbits get pretty big! Seriously though, POLAR BEARS:eek:
Thats a good reason to keep on top of your maintenance & make sure you get home safe! Instead of towing a fuel can you might consider towing a cage to climb into, maybe a gun, & some dogs! Cheers, & ride safe:thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:38 PM

Still can't believe the PR folks at Yamaha haven't checked back on you.....opportunity is still banging away at their door

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:15 PM

i know what you mean about polar bears, where i ride some of the rabbits get pretty big! Seriously though, POLAR BEARS:eek:
Thats a good reason to keep on top of your maintenance & make sure you get home safe! Instead of towing a fuel can you might consider towing a cage to climb into, maybe a gun, & some dogs! Cheers, & ride safe:thumbsup:

I've seen Grizz scat out on some rides :prof: I get more worried about it when I see the fresh stuff mountain biking:eek: :bonk:

• Frostbite

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:46 PM

most of the snowmachiners have to go to the mountains here because the trails in the valley get packed pretty quick. with a setup like yours i could take advantage of that. never thought something like that would be possible. most smowmachiners here wont even ride below -20'F. im gonna have to get a set of studded tires and a ski late summer. cheers.

Packed sled trails are fantastic for the bike, especially all the woops that sleds build up on the trails from on the gas, off the gas. It is a blast, and my ski was invented by a fella from Alaska.

I’ve seen a few around town over the years, but have never met one while riding. Last week a woman from town was at a cabin about 70 miles out. A polar bear snuck up and surprised her right in front of her cabin. The only gun nearby was a .22, and she grabbed it, but was smart enough not to shoot. A .22 would just make the bear more aggressive. She was pushing the bear away with the barrel of the gun and trying to scare it off. It took a few steps back, enough for her to grab her 308, and she killed it. Using a gun barrel as a poking stick, that’s waayyy too close for me!

Still can't believe the PR folks at Yamaha haven't checked back on you.....opportunity is still banging away at their door

Maybe I should drop them another line, since I bought the last bike in Canada, there’s no cross border issue to deal with.

I met some new neighbors tonight. 4 scientists (2 boys, 2 girls) rented the house next door, and will be here for a month or 2 tagging sharks. They gave me the GPS co-ordinates and invited me out to the ice fishing spot, so I'll whip out on the bike when I get back next week. I'll see if I can get a picture of a big shark on the ice next to the bike. They are catching Greenland sharks, 10 to 12 feet long, but fairly mellow.

Here’s a few shots from a ride tonight after work. The days are getting longer now, the sun set tonight about 8 PM. In a few more weeks it’ll be light until midnight, and soon it’ll be light around the clock. That makes for some great evening rides.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There’s still a lot of powder down. I need a good wind to blow it away to expose the good riding base. The temp is supposed to hit -5 on the weekend. That may warm up enough to wet the snow for the sleds to pack it down. Wind or warm would open up the trails again.

• coffee

Posted April 03, 2008 - 07:47 AM

I’ve seen a few around town over the years, but have never met one while riding. Last week a woman from town was at a cabin about 70 miles out. A polar bear snuck up and surprised her right in front of her cabin. The only gun nearby was a .22, and she grabbed it, but was smart enough not to shoot. A .22 would just make the bear more aggressive. She was pushing the bear away with the barrel of the gun and trying to scare it off. It took a few steps back, enough for her to grab her 308, and she killed it. Using a gun barrel as a poking stick, that’s waayyy too close for me!

You mean a .308 rifle?

...They are catching Greenland sharks, 10 to 12 feet long, but fairly mellow.

Doesn't anyone up there do non-dangerous stuff? :prof:

soon it’ll be light around the clock. That makes for some great evening rides.

Not sure I could handle 24hrs of light...

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Sorry, I just feel the need to warm things up! San Pancho Mexico two weeks ago!
Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted April 03, 2008 - 09:07 AM

You mean a .308 rifle?

Yes, 308 rifle.

Doesn't anyone up there do non-dangerous stuff? :bonk:

Haha. I think they're in more danger travelling to the location than they are from sharks. 4 people but only 3 GPS's, brand new, never used, and they were Garmin 60's, the yellow ones, so no map. I gave them a crash course and had them running around their house last night practicing marking waypoints and recording tracks and following them back to start.

It was relatively warm last night, about -18, but they are from the south (one of the girls straight from Georgia) and were freezing. They were fully bundled and wearing mittens, and were getting freaked out that I had a sweatshirt and bare hands. I hope they climatize quickly, as they will be living and sleeping on the ice for 5 days at a time, back to town on the weekends to shower and re-supply.

They also said that the Discovery Channel may send someone up to film what they're doing. Maybe I'll get my mug on TV. That'd be my second time on the Disco Channel, the first time was a different series, called Arctic Rescue, and I wasn't the rescuer.........:prof:

Not sure I could handle 24hrs of light...

The light is great and you have more energy. It always feel like noon, so you don't get that "tired at the end of the day" feeling. You can ride all night, and no worries if you break down, it's not going to get dark, so you can fix the bike or walk back to town.
The crime rate also drops way down since it's hard to hide. Tinfoil on bedroom windows is essential to keep the light out so you can sleep. For the kids, time looses meaning in the summer. They'll be in the playgrounds at 2,3 4 AM. They only sleep when they're tired, and people with kids know they're never tired at night. :confused:

• Frostbite

Posted April 03, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Sorry, I just feel the need to warm things up! San Pancho Mexico two weeks ago!
Posted Image

Nice!
Same color sky, but the foreground's a little greener. :prof:

• tweav

Posted April 03, 2008 - 09:35 AM

have you fixed the 400 yet? Are you going to fix your speedo ? if so you can have the sending unit and stuff off of my 07 , if you want it . I went vapor .

Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted April 03, 2008 - 10:12 AM

have you fixed the 400 yet? Are you going to fix your speedo ? if so you can have the sending unit and stuff off of my 07 , if you want it . I went vapor .

Posted Image

Hey Tweav

I brought the new parts and cables back with me, but haven't got around to installing them yet. I'm having too much fun on the 450.:prof: I'm waiting for some bad weather so I can't ride, and then I'll get to the 400. I also have to pop the Attrax off of the 400, restud it, and try it on the 450.
I ordered a new front ski from Attrax today. My new Motoski cracked again, they must've used a different type of plastic in this one. I never had a problem with the last one. I'll try the Attrax unit and see how it compares.

I may take you up on the stock sending unit. It was the outer sheathing on mine that cracked and then caused the wires to break. If I cut the sheathig off and slip on a soft rubber gas line I should be fine. Name your price.

• simonreeves

Posted April 03, 2008 - 10:20 AM

SHARKS? POLAR BEARS? What kind of place is that Frostbite! It sounds 'interesting' just with the weather, let alone the killer wildlife. Still, at least the 24 hour daylight should keep the werewolves indoors.:prof:

• dirtysouth

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:04 PM

Georgia Peaches:eek: Woooo Hoooo Ya know, tha opportunity just never stops knockin round them parts.:prof:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.