How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • mattbesquare

Posted March 12, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Amazing story, great video.

• RedBull420

Posted March 12, 2008 - 07:01 PM

WOW FB! You are an inspiration to us all. :thumbsup: You are a die hard biker and it's been awesome following this thread. Again nice work man! I just liked watching the clock on the wall. What was the total build time?

• 2lcf

Posted March 12, 2008 - 08:08 PM

Frosty........I know most on TT would offer the same.......but IF you need parts purchased and sent to you let me know.............not sure how you get parts up there......but I know it can't be easy...........and I agree with the other posts..........I think it would be an awsome trip to ride up there with you.....as long as I don't go over the handle bars when my tire digs into the powder.........MX snow adventures would be great.............take care and let us know if you need anything.......

• Frostbite

Posted March 13, 2008 - 03:32 AM

I saw a few left over parts.:ride: JK. The video was awesome. Good job.:ride:

Haha, there are a few parts on the floor at the end of the video Esbotto, but they are mostly the AIS system….and the skid plate. I popped that on after I took the bike off of the stand.

Frosty, There is no doubt that you are "The Man!" Hands down, Your are the dedicated mx'er we all wish we were!! If I had a disposable 5k to ship my 07wr back and forth to ride with you I would be honored! What a playground, I know nothing about riding in snow but it looks like a blast! If you end up with an extra bike up there pm me, I'll be there asap! Or for that matter look into mx rentals and vac. trips for mx'ers and sell guided tours and rentals, after watching you and seeing the views and terrain I'm in!!! Anyway I have had a blast watching and responding to this thread. BTW - Great job getting your bike back together in perfect working order, minus cold enginering issues.

Hey Mandrik, I’ll reserve a spot for you on the first snow tour. :thumbsup: Thanks and glad you enjoying the thread.

Nice bike. :eek: Are you going to use a track set up in the rear like on your 426?

Hi CRF,My track is still mounted on my 400 but is easy to swap to my 450. Right now the snow is perfect and I don’t need the track. I prefer to ride with the spiked tires, and the 450 is soooo much fun to wheelie, and the track is impossible to wheelie. When the snow gets soft I’ll pop it on. It only takes about an hour to go from tire to track.

Amazing story, great video.

Thanks Matt, glad you liked it. :D

WOW FB! You are an inspiration to us all. :ride: You are a die hard biker and it's been awesome following this thread. Again nice work man! I just liked watching the clock on the wall. What was the total build time?

Hey Redbull, How’s the new bike?
I hope this inspires folks to get out and ride more, even if the conditions aren’t ideal. The total time on the clock was 6 hours, and that included switching front wheel bearings and the rear sprocket to my 400 wheels. What was missing was the hour it took me to pop the clutch back in and the time it took me to go over everything with a torque wrench.

Frosty........I know most on TT would offer the same.......but IF you need parts purchased and sent to you let me know.............not sure how you get parts up there......but I know it can't be easy...........and I agree with the other posts..........I think it would be an awsome trip to ride up there with you.....as long as I don't go over the handle bars when my tire digs into the powder.........MX snow adventures would be great.............take care and let us know if you need anything.......

That’s a very generous offer, Thanks 2LCF. :ride: I do pretty well on getting parts, though it takes a while. I order from TT and from shops in the south, and I get a week out every 2 months so I drag stuff back with me. You’re on my list too for the first Arctic Adventure Trip, and no worries, all bikes will be fitted with a ski, so you may get stuck and be pushing, but you won’t be doing the ostrich thing. :cry:

Here’s a quick clip I shot while I was on top of the mountain on Sunday. I used the video option on my still camera, and it’s only a minute, but you can see the view live, and you can hear what the snow sounds like up here.

Cheers

Frosty :lol:

• matt4x4

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Frosty - first off - congrats on getting the bike back together.
Second - that video ROCKS!!! Excellent work - you even look the part with the yammi shirt!
Please try the 400 gasket, I've asked that question without getting replies, and around here, there seems to be a huge price discrepancy between model years on the parts fiche so it would be a good thing to know.

With regards to the airbox nipple freezing (you've probably got it all figured out already knowing you), that could potentially become expensive if it's going to keep blowing 30 dollar gaskets. Try cutting the breather hose closer to the valve cover and putting a T-connector in between with a piece of hose going up vertical to under your tank somewhere, it should eliminate any future issues.

So now you're going to have a riding buddy whenever you want - fantastic! Soon you'll have the entire community riding bikes - that would just be too funny to see. And I love your idea about the Arctic Adventure Ride!

• 2lcf

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:21 AM

I still say that is some awsome views......and I see you don't need a kickstand up there, just spin the tire and walk away......at least your putting miles on it and enjoying it......I think you have put more miles on your WR in a week than I have put on mine since I got it in late December:cry: ...:thumbsup:

• drtbk4ever

Posted March 13, 2008 - 06:48 AM

All I can say is Fricken AWESOME!!!!!

Well done Frosty.:thumbsup: :eek: :D

• Frostbite

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Frosty - first off - congrats on getting the bike back together. Second - that video ROCKS!!! Excellent work - you even look the part with the yammi shirt!

Thanks Matt. :thumbsup:

Please try the 400 gasket, I've asked that question without getting replies, and around here, there seems to be a huge price discrepancy between model years on the parts fiche so it would be a good thing to know.

I am going to try it tonight. It’s a beautiful day here today and I can’t see me not riding untilI get the new gasket. The tank is off of the 400 so it’ll be quick to pop it off, a bit more tangly with the 450. Now I’ll REALLY see if I can get the cover off with the block heater installed.

With regards to the airbox nipple freezing (you've probably got it all figured out already knowing you), that could potentially become expensive if it's going to keep blowing 30 dollar gaskets. Try cutting the breather hose closer to the valve cover and putting a T-connector in between with a piece of hose going up vertical to under your tank somewhere, it should eliminate any future issues.

To get back down the mountain I tucked the end of the hose behind the cylinder. There’ll be no worries about water here for another 4 months, so I just have to route it so the end stays warm. I never had this problem with the 400, but this also explains why my 450 airfilter was icing up. Sometimes on the 400 I’d have to shovel out the airbox, but never had the filter ice up. The breather hose was pumping warm moist air into the airbox (before the line froze) and it would freeze when it hit the cold fresh air in the airbox. I didn’t mind tossing it in the dryer every night, since I open the side cover to access the block heater plug, and then scented “Bounce”dryer sheet not only eliminated static, but made my exhaust smell summer fresh. :ride:

So now you're going to have a riding buddy whenever you want - fantastic! Soon you'll have the entire community riding bikes - that would just be too funny to see. And I love your idea about the Arctic Adventure Ride!

I thought the same thing, which is partly why I was so willing to go through this again, but it’s not going to happen. The new guy stopped in 2 nights ago and I started to tell him about my 450 cold issues and what he needed to prepare. He also thinks I’m a little crazy and is only going to ride the bike in town, during summer week, so I’m SOL and back to solo. Having you guys here on TT is almost as good as having riding buddies. True, I am riding alone, but not being able to talk about it is a hundred times worse. Reminds me of a joke:

A man is stranded on a deserted island with a beautiful model. Eventually, they start fooling around and he’s ecstatic, but after 2 weeks he’s a bit depressed. He comes up with an idea. He asks the model to dress up in some of his clothes, workboots, hat etc. She finds it a bit odd, but complies. When she’s all done he asks her what she thinks, and she says “I guess I look like one of the boys.” GREAT he says, I’ve gotta tell you something – I’ve been planking this gorgeous model every day for the past 2 weeks.

I still say that is some awsome views......and I see you don't need a kickstand up there, just spin the tire and walk away......at least your putting miles on it and enjoying it......I think you have put more miles on your WR in a week than I have put on mine since I got it in late December:cry: ...:eek:

So what’s holding you back 2LCF? :D

• thumper tom

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:13 AM

Frostbite, If I win the lottery this week I'll be there for sure,
But I just started a new Job and have to collect some coin,
The video Looks fantastic, great job in the edit, cant wait to see more Action stuff in the snow
Today will be about 70 in Phoenix, Im going Riding

TT

• 2lcf

Posted March 13, 2008 - 08:38 AM

So what’s holding you back 2LCF? :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Let me start the list:

WORK
MONEY
TIME
RIDING RESTRICTIONS (remember, it's only illegal if you get caught)
ETC
ETC

Not necessarily in that order..........

Goinig riding monday though............I will think of you when I am riding in the 70 degree weather here in Sunny SO CAL..........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:23 AM

:thumbsup: :eek: That joke was funny!
So this guy's buying a bike for 2 weeks (well, a little more) of riding a year???? Won't happen, he'll have a couple of tears on it and be hooked. Hell, If I had the money I'd be taking my bike on vaca in the caribbean!
Well, if you/him go through with the purchase, I'm sure it won't be long and he'll be wanting to ride all the time.

• Frostbite

Posted March 13, 2008 - 12:30 PM

All I can say is Fricken AWESOME!!!!!
Well done Frosty.:D :ride: :lol:

Thanks DB4E :thumbsup:

Frostbite, If I win the lottery this week I'll be there for sure,
But I just started a new Job and have to collect some coin,
The video Looks fantastic, great job in the edit, cant wait to see more Action stuff in the snow
Today will be about 70 in Phoenix, I’m going Riding
TT

Congrats on the new job Tom, and have a great ride. Now tell me that you at least bought a ticket…..

Goinig riding monday though............I will think of you when I am riding in the 70 degree weather here in Sunny SO CAL..........

How do you guys keep your plastic fenders from melting?

:ride: :ride: That joke was funny!
So this guy's buying a bike for 2 weeks (well, a little more) of riding a year????

He has lots of money and is paying in cash so……………

Won't happen, he'll have a couple of tears on it and be hooked. Hell, If I had the money I'd be taking my bike on vaca in the caribbean!
Well, if you/him go through with the purchase, I'm sure it won't be long and he'll be wanting to ride all the time.

That’s what I’m counting on. :eek:

• thumper tom

Posted March 13, 2008 - 01:03 PM

Ya i bought some tickets but didn't win so I'm stuck here in the desert, but I had a great ride today, My fenders wont melt until it hits 100+ friggenteen degrees in the middle of July , then I melt also, Haha
TT

• zukrider

Posted March 13, 2008 - 07:53 PM

Frosty you are the man and its cool you respond to so many of the comments:applause:

• 06crf_er

Posted March 13, 2008 - 11:51 PM

Frostbite-

Bar none, the best 24 pages of Thumpertalk I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I was reading a little about your story when you first posted the thread and quickly shrugged it off as another whacko with some crackpot plan to ship his bike to B.F.E and have it all work out like a dream.

Well, 24 pages and one badd a$$ time lapse video later, a dream come true. I don't have many more words for this whole adventure other than congratulations and ABSOLUTELY FARKING AWESOME MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread goes down in the best of TT all time without a doubt. Congrats again. I look forward to more photos and some vids of that thing in action on the snow. I've ridden in my fair share of snow as well, I'm from Upstate NY originally and never found it too enjoyable (always found an excuse to ride the snowmobile:busted:)

Thanks again for taking the time to document everything so well and share your story and video. It was one hell of a read.:thumbsup: :eek: :D :ride: :lol:

• dr650dave

Posted March 14, 2008 - 08:30 AM

Wow!:thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:19 AM

Wow!:thumbsup:

what the hell, what page is the time lapse video on

• zukrider

Posted March 14, 2008 - 10:21 AM

page 22:thumbsup:

• bg10459

Posted March 14, 2008 - 12:05 PM

page 22:thumbsup:

I have it at the middle of this page, #6 (40 posts per page). Here it is again:

BTW, Frostbite, You are HARDCORE.:thumbsup: I've been following this thread since day one and I have to say, I am impressed. There are probably countless words to describe you, but among them are crazy, dedicated, persistent, thorough,...... and funny (it only felt like -28.:ride:).

The time lapse vid was great ( I love the barefoot mechanics. :D ), and the scenery shots are pretty cool, too.

Nice work.:eek:

• Frostbite

Posted March 14, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Ya i bought some tickets but didn't win so I'm stuck here in the desert, but I had a great ride today, My fenders wont melt until it hits 100+ friggenteen degrees in the middle of July , then I melt also, Haha
TT

Glad to hear you had a great ride. I guess when it gets good and hot, the see-ment pond in your backyard does the trick.

Frosty you are the man and its cool you respond to so many of the comments:applause:

Thanks Zuk. I enjoy the feedback as much as folks enjoy the thread. (p.s. I was thinking it would be soooooo funny not to respond to your comment about how I respond to all everyone's comments and if you were more accustomed to my sense of humor, I would've, but I didn't want to take the chance, but if I did, this is what it would've looked like:

Frosty , its cool you respond to so many of the comments:applause:

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Frostbite-
Bar none, the best 24 pages of Thumpertalk I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I was reading a little about your story when you first posted the thread and quickly shrugged it off as another whacko with some crackpot plan to ship his bike to B.F.E and have it all work out like a dream.
Well, 24 pages and one badd a$$ time lapse video later, a dream come true. I don't have many more words for this whole adventure other than congratulations and ABSOLUTELY FARKING AWESOME MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thread goes down in the best of TT all time without a doubt. Congrats again. I look forward to more photos and some vids of that thing in action on the snow. I've ridden in my fair share of snow as well, I'm from Upstate NY originally and never found it too enjoyable (always found an excuse to ride the snowmobile:busted:)
Thanks again for taking the time to document everything so well and share your story and video. It was one hell of a read.:sweden: :crazy: :p :lol: :worthy:

Hey CRF, I’m glad you enjoyed the story and the video, and glad that I rose (slightly) above the rank of crackpot whacko. :lol:

Wow!:worthy:

Thanks Dave. :confused:

Didja find it MG?

I have it at the middle of this page, #6 (40 posts per page). Here it is again:
BTW, Frostbite, You are HARDCORE.:excuseme: I've been following this thread since day one and I have to say, I am impressed. There are probably countless words to describe you, but among them are crazy, dedicated, persistent, thorough,...... and funny (it only felt like -28.:lol:).
The time lapse vid was great ( I love the barefoot mechanics. :smirk: ), and the scenery shots are pretty cool, too.
Nice work.:worthy:

Thanks for hooking up MG to the vid BG. :excuseme: I have had a great time with this whole adventure and have had plenty of great laughs reading the comments. :lol: Very good to hear that you liked the humor. A couple of serious replies to my “helium in tires” thread had me worried that I was losing my touch.
I had another comment on the barefeet and it made me realize that I have been very irresponsible. Therefore, I must emphasize to all viewers that I am a trained barefoot mechanic, and you folks at home should never attempt what you’ve seen in this video without properly fitting slippers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.