How to fit a WR 450 in your mailbox

350 replies to this topic
  • Kirkster

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:14 PM

I love the AZ tag...

• esbotto

Posted March 08, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Forget the Yamaha commercial. This should be made into a freakin' movie. Please keep us up to date with your future journeys. Thanks for the memories.:thumbsup:

• motocross_mike

Posted March 09, 2008 - 01:02 AM

Frostbite, as an old timer, who has never ridden a bike in weather anything below about 10 deg C ( not sure what that is in F probably 50 or so) and was out for a ride today when it was 30 deg C ( 90 or so F) f'n dusty too. I admire your tenacity in this project and I hope you have the same sized grin I have on my face after my second ride on my new (second hand) 05 450F. Great thread, I have not been able to go a day without a fix from it.

Keep the pix comming

Mike

• 89TRX350RX

Posted March 09, 2008 - 02:42 PM

You are one lucky SOB:applause: . I've seen some nice views in my life and enjoyed some solitude, but you have by far the best of both. I've never seen such Awesome pictures (especially like the WR centered in each) but man, to be able to ride all year round (I'd get shot if I thought about touching a "Groomed Trail", which around here is the only snow hard enough to be able to ride on) and see for such great distances... I'm really fighting to find the words. I hope I'm not coming off as a Kornhole for saying this. Congrats on all of your hard work, and I see now "Why you did it"!!!:thumbsup:

Jamie

• Frostbite

Posted March 09, 2008 - 04:12 PM

You are one lucky SOB:applause: . I've seen some nice views in my life and enjoyed some solitude, but you have by far the best of both. I've never seen such Awesome pictures (especially like the WR centered in each) but man, to be able to ride all year round (I'd get shot if I thought about touching a "Groomed Trail", which around here is the only snow hard enough to be able to ride on) and see for such great distances... I'm really fighting to find the words. I hope I'm not coming off as a Kornhole for saying this. Congrats on all of your hard work, and I see now "Why you did it"!!!:thumbsup:

Jamie

You know Jamie............I think you're the first person that has said I'm lucky to be here. Everybody else jokes that I'm nuts to be here.:D

Here's a few more scenery shots. I was out for 7 hours today and ran through a full 5 gallon jerry can.

The first thing I did this morning was pop on my ski. One trip over the bars per weekend is enough for me. With the ski on I was feeling fearless so I tackled Mount Duval, 3000+ feet. It was a real challenge getting to the top, and getting back down with no rear brake was interesting.

This morning was the first time the bike was started from a good cold soak. The 450 sat outside overnight at -30, and this would be my first time trying to start it cold. I had the 400 down to a science, but didn't know what to expect with the 450, especially since I just guessed at the jetting.

I plugged the block heater in for 1/2 hour, while I installed the ski. She wouldn't start with the button (was turning over, but a bit slow) but fired on the first kick and started on the 3rd, which is pretty decent. Pet peave - the choke button is impossible to grab with gloves on, and is very hard to pull out at -30, like the rubber seal is too hard maybe.

When I opened my side cover to plug the block heater in, I noticed that my air filter was a block of ice. I took it off and popped it in the clothes dryer to thaw and dehumidify.

While the bike warmed up I put my -30 gear on and then headed through my backyard to the mountain. I shot lots of pics but was a bit leary near the edge. The face is steep 3000 foot drop, and the snow was drifted over the edge, making it impossible to tell where the real edge was. I wanted to get a good shot with the bike right at the edge, but I chickened out.

Anyway, here's a few shots.

Top 1

top 2

top 3

entire community of Pangnirtung, with all roads visible

top 5

top 6

Top 7

Riding in the snow is hard work, so I took a little siesta while I soaked up some rays. It stayed around -30 all day, but was so sunny and calm at the top that it only felt like -28. :eek:

I rode around up top until I had to flip to reserve, and then headed back down, which is much easier on fuel. For fun, I took a bit steeper route on the way down.

Down 1

Down 2, notice the snow breaking up in front of the wheel The front brake doesn't do much good when the stuff it's locked into is toboganning downhill. :ride:

How cold is -30? Well, you still sweat when you're riding hard, but the sweat freezes on your face and inside your clothes. I usually have frost (these are from today) on the outside of my sweatshirt and inside my coat and pants when I get home. I probably shouldn't be showing you these pictures, may scare you into not coming up for a ride.

I even had a tiny coolant leak, not sure where from. Frozen antifreeze looks like lime popisicles.

My helmet has a rubber face mask that makes a near perfect seal, and hoses direct my breath to vents in the side of the helmet. The vents tend to freeze over, and when they do - I can't breathe. I carry a bic pen in my pocket and use it to poke the ice out when the 02 gets turned off. I usually only have to do it once an hour, but when I'm working hard it's 2 or 3 times an hour.

I can't wait 'till my new tank gets here. I had to go home 2ce for fuel, but at least I didn't run out today.

• WR_Dave

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Your the man Frosty- :thumbsup: (kudos). Sounds great that your having fun with the new bike, and ditching work at the same time. A little tip for you and all 4 strokers that read this epic story--make sure you set the engine at TDC so the valves are all closed when the bike is off and I recommend even in weather that the rest of us are more used to , that the bike be kick started ,first start of the day. My congrats and my .02. WR Dave.

• MarshalGiles

Posted March 09, 2008 - 06:47 PM

Frostbite,
I don't know if you've done this yet, but you need to do some ride reports and post them over at Advrider.com. Those guys would eat this up!

• 2lcf

Posted March 09, 2008 - 07:57 PM

You know Frostbite........I said I have seen some awsome views here in Sunny So Cal.........but yours are by far the winners :thumbsup: ........you must have balls of steel, or the frost in your pants is from peeing yourself when you go down those hills........those hills look bad even if they were just dirt......hell, those are covered with snow and ice........you are the man and all your hard work and pictures show it........once again, GREAT job........I am in AWE......!!!!!!!!!!!

• dirtysouth

Posted March 09, 2008 - 09:54 PM

Dang I feel a little lonely just looking at those pics dude...love the coolantsicles though, pretty funny. Will have to remember to take some photos of the sweltering hot landscapes down my way and well, spring break is unbuckling around here so in the next couple months maybe some shots of what people wear when the sun deprives us of anything remotely close to snow or ice on the opposite end of the spectrum...humidity is the beast that we have to fight down here but man do I feel priviledged now that I see what you have to endure:smirk: Just a relative thought for ya..when it snows down here many folks get a rush out of making snow-cream i.e. milk, sugar and snow as if its the best thing in the world..I would wager that you guys just about frown on that idea...do you guys even see a gallon of whole milk up there?

• 89TRX350RX

Posted March 12, 2008 - 06:27 AM

Frosty, again ,thanks for an awesome thread and Pics that 99.9999% of the people who read this will never have the benefit of seeing in person... Keep up the good work and stay safe!:thumbsup:

Jamie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:07 PM

Your the man Frosty- :D (kudos). Sounds great that your having fun with the new bike, and ditching work at the same time. A little tip for you and all 4 strokers that read this epic story--make sure you set the engine at TDC so the valves are all closed when the bike is off and I recommend even in weather that the rest of us are more used to , that the bike be kick started ,first start of the day. My congrats and my .02. WR Dave.

Thanks Dave, and that’s some good advice. A valve stuck open can really be a pain when you think you’re about to go riding.

Frostbite,
I don't know if you've done this yet, but you need to do some ride reports and post them over at Advrider.com. Those guys would eat this up!

Hey Marshall, I just joined (on your advice) and will post soon, thanks. :thumbsup:

You know Frostbite........I said I have seen some awsome views here in Sunny So Cal.........but yours are by far the winners :ride: ........you must have balls of steel, or the frost in your pants is from peeing yourself when you go down those hills........those hills look bad even if they were just dirt......hell, those are covered with snow and ice........you are the man and all your hard work and pictures show it........once again, GREAT job........I am in AWE......!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi 2lcf, the scenery here is great….but I wouldn’t mind riding into a SoCal sunset for a change. I’m half thinking about bringing up a few more bikes and starting an Arctic Adventure Ride, then you guys’ll see that it’s actually not that bad………it’s a dry cold. :ride:

Dang I feel a little lonely just looking at those pics dude...love the coolantsicles though, pretty funny. Will have to remember to take some photos of the sweltering hot landscapes down my way and well, spring break is unbuckling around here so in the next couple months maybe some shots of what people wear when the sun deprives us of anything remotely close to snow or ice on the opposite end of the spectrum...humidity is the beast that we have to fight down here but man do I feel priviledged now that I see what you have to endure:smirk: Just a relative thought for ya..when it snows down here many folks get a rush out of making snow-cream i.e. milk, sugar and snow as if its the best thing in the world..I would wager that you guys just about frown on that idea...do you guys even see a gallon of whole milk up there?

Well DS, fresh goods can be a bit scarce at times, but things are much better than they were 10 years ago. We do have an endless supply of fresh snow, but you’d have to be quite a salesman to sell it to the locals. (Haha)

Frosty, again ,thanks for an awesome thread and Pics that 99.9999% of the people who read this will never have the benefit of seeing in person... Keep up the good work and stay safe!:lol:
Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I’m glad that you and everyone else enjoyed them. Now that I unbolted my helmetcam from the ceiling (filming the assembly) I’ll start shooting some video and post clips. I downloaded my re-struction footage and made up a quick video. It’s about as far as you can get from hi-tech, but I compressed the 6 hours into 5 minutes (thanks for the speedin’ up tip coffee) so you can see the process. I had saved it at fairly good qulity, but it was 50 meg’s and simply wouldn’t upload due to slow connection here. I dumbed it down to 6 meg so it would load. Maybe when I’m down south I’ll reload the better quality version.

If anyone would like to see the dismantling process live, I’ll be performing the same show in Ottawa in 2 weeks – Seriously. A fella here in town went crazy when he saw my bike and had to have one. He asked me if I could help him out, and I did say I would “pay forward” ThumperTom’s generosity, so I agreed.

I fly out next week for my regular 1 week back to civilization. I pass through Ottawa, so I called a few bike shops there and found an 08 (he wanted brand new). They’re going to let me strip it in their shop, and they’re not going to fire it up, so this time the whole thing (except the rear shock) will be in my suitcases. I will take the empty suitcases down with me, and I already know what to put in each one, so it should be a breeze.

The only thing missing will be ThumperTom’s cooking, unless……:eek:…..I can talk him into a little trip across the border. Heck, if he gets that far he may as well come back up North with me and see what the Arctic is all about.

Anyway, here’s the re-struction video, from a pile of nuts and bolts to race ready before Billy can finish his song.

Cheers

Frosty:thumbsup:

• dirtysouth

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Sweet vid dude and great audio complement. Glad you took us up on this suggestion. I am curious to know what editing software you used for this project though.:thumbsup:

• 2lcf

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Frosty.............I love that video.....but, with you moving sooo fast are you sure all that white stuff outside is SNOW......?? I also see your a speed reader when your checking the manuals......that is just awsome......I don't think anyone asked you, but did you have any parts left over.....

side note..........did your 07 have a master link in the chain.....I was checking my 08 and there was NO master link.......:eek:

good job again...........:D :ride: :thumbsup:

• coffee

Posted March 12, 2008 - 04:34 PM

Nice! :thumbsup:

• Kirkster

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Very Very cool.... You rock...

• Kirkster

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:21 PM

"Arctic Adventure Ride" Sign me up... I would love that. How is that place in the summer???

• esbotto

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:47 PM

I don't think anyone asked you, but did you have any parts left over.....

I saw a few left over parts.:eek: JK. The video was awesome. Good job.:thumbsup:

• mandrik

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:51 PM

Frosty, There is no doubt that you are "The Man!" Hands down, Your are the dedicated mx'er we all wish we were!! If I had a disposable 5k to ship my 07wr back and forth to ride with you I would be honored! What a playground, I know nothing about riding in snow but it looks like a blast! If you end up with an extra bike up there pm me, I'll be there asap! Or for that matter look into mx rentals and vac. trips for mx'ers and sell guided tours and rentals, after watching you and seeing the views and terrain I'm in!!! Anyway I have had a blast watching and responding to this thread. BTW - Great job getting your bike back together in perfect working order, minus cold enginering issues.

• Frostbite

Posted March 12, 2008 - 05:56 PM

Sweet vid dude and great audio complement. Glad you took us up on this suggestion. I am curious to know what editing software you used for this project though.:cry:

I have Pinnacle and Roxio software, but don’t think either have an easy way to speed up time. I used Windows Movie Maker. It came with my computer and I didn’t even know I had the software. My audio choices were limited to a few songs I had in my Itunes library that matched the length of the clip. There were 6 that matched the time, but Billy won hands down.

Frosty.............I love that video.....but, with you moving sooo fast are you sure all that white stuff outside is SNOW......?? I also see your a speed reader when your checking the manuals

:eek::thumbsup:

I don't think anyone asked you, but did you have any parts left over..... :

The only parts left over were the AIS pump and hoses (now in permanent storage), 4 small flat washers ( I was being careful not to over use washers) which are all the same so I’m betting they are for the 4 front fender bolts, and 1 of the black plastic cable clips with the balls on top, that you can pop on and off. Everything else was accounted for. I thought I had lost one of the footpeg washers (goes near the cotter pin) but I found it when most of the parts were back on the bike and it was easier to spot.

I am missing one bolt now, for the seat. I came back from a ride last night and noticed it had fallen out. I went strictly by the book and torqued all of the important fasteners on the bike, but didn’t torque the plastic panels or the seat. I probably installed one of the seat bolts and left it loose until I got the other one in, and forgot to tighten it.

I am also now missing a valve cover gasket. I went for a ride tonight, trying to get to the top of a long gnarly hillclimb. My bike seemed to be losing a bit of power and started stalling at low rpm’s. It was too tight of a spot to figure out the problem so I rolled around and started heading back down. It’s about 1500 feet, and I still don’t have a rear brake, so I was using engine braking to help slow me down. I heard a pop and then the engine got very loud. I worked my way to a small ledge and shut down to see what the heck had happened. The left front valve cover half moon had blown out of the valve cover.

I could see the exhaust cam and it looked OK (the auto decomp didn’t fly apart and knock it out) and I remembered the “pop” sounded like a pop gun, so I looked for a pressure problem, and found it. The airbox nipple where the engine breather hose feeds into was plugged with frost. I’m surprised the hose didn’t pop off first, and one corner of the half moon tore away from the gasket, so now I need a new one. I popped it back in and idled back home no problem, but can’t ride until I replace it. I wonder if the old 400 cover gasket would fit?

side note..........did your 07 have a master link in the chain.....I was checking my 08 and there was NO master link.......:ride: good job again...........:ride: :ride: :eek:

My chain is masterlinkless, and thanks for the well wishing. :D

Nice! :ride:

Thanks Coffee, if not for your suggestion the video would’ve probably taken a month to edit. I was planning to manually delete 29 of every 30 frames. 30 frames per second X 6 hours…that’s a lot of frames. I can’t believe that the Windows Movie Maker software is as good as it is, and free to boot.
Thanks again,

Frosty :lol:

Very Very cool.... You rock…"Arctic Adventure Ride" Sign me up... I would love that. How is that place in the summer???

Riding here in summer is crap, so I usually take that week off. :(
My Arctic Adventure Ride isn’t going to be summertime, it’s going to be more of a “Feel the Arctic” Adventure Ride.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted March 12, 2008 - 06:03 PM

Nice bike. :thumbsup: Are you going to use a track set up in the rear like on your 426?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.