426 piston/rings

3 replies to this topic
  • soco3594

Posted February 01, 2008 - 01:31 AM

Ok so Ive had my 426 for a week or two and notice that it leaks oil from the breather hose and is a little lumpy at steady throttle. It still starts first kick and goes hard under full throttle, but the bike is going on 7 years old so I would expect that it would be near due for a rebuild considering the symptoms and I know that last owner didnt do any work to it. That said, I am dropping it off to my local guy to check the jetting (Im still a bit inexperienced), but if he finds that jetting won't cure it then Id say I will be looking at a piston and rings, hopefully no more.

Does anyone know roughly what I would pay for a new piston and rings?

• SRT426

Posted February 01, 2008 - 01:43 AM

Do a leak down check before tearing anything apart, that will give you a good clue as to how well the rings and valves are sealing.

Here is a chart for the YZ426 for jetting, I imagine it's pretty close for the WR as well and will get you in the ballpark so you can fine tune it.
http://motoman393.th....426jetting.xls

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted February 01, 2008 - 04:15 AM

Breather tube drips is NORMAL, sounds like Jetting - I think your bike is probably fine, compression test it, check your valve clearances and if those come out fine, ride it like you stole it - We all do.

• soco3594

Posted February 01, 2008 - 12:16 PM

righto cheers guys. As I said im a bit inexperienced with the mechanics of the bike since Ive only had it for a week or two so Ill drop if off to my mechanic and ask him to do a compression test and sort out the jetting and hopefully that will make a difference. From what I can tell there is plenty of compression at TDC. Also the altitude where I live is a couple of hundred metres higher than where I bought the bike so Id say it wants rejetting anyway.

thanks for the advice

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.