baja designs kit 2007 wr450f

33 replies to this topic
  • William1

Posted February 02, 2008 - 01:27 PM

+2 on the front brake light switch. Even though it is not required, it would be nice if the switch were included and the wiring in place. Not worth the trouble to me to add it but if it were already there, I'd potentially set it up.
I did set my bike up to make the OEM tail light work as a brake light to, as the function in the light is already there and the wire to the plug exists. I sourced a pin for the plug and jumpered to the BD harness to make the OEM light function when the BD kit is not installed.

You say other manufacturers of DS kits use the OEM tail light? Who, as I'd be interested is contacting them. PM or post here, please. :busted:

• rubberband-man

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Alright--I posted a thread that the bike started after we unplugged the baja designs kill switch---well, today we finished putting it together, and it would not start. No matter what we tried. Finally, we tested the spark plug, and we were getting a spark every 15 seconds or so of pushing the electric start. So, we figured we had a connection problem. We pulled out the stator again, checked all connections, reinstalled it, checked ALL the other wires on the bike, and everything seemed to be fine. We checked the spark again, and fired every once in a while. I finally decided to take the bike to the yamaha dealer, but before I did, I push started it down the driveway (suggested by the guy who tried to start his bike without the switch turned to P or H, and flooded it). It fired up. I rode it around, then it died. I push started it again, it fired up, then died. I still couldn't kick start it. I push started it again, and rode it for a half hour. Now it starts up first kick and with the electric start. I know it's a log story, but can somebody explain to me WHAT THE???

• taycam

Posted February 02, 2008 - 08:26 PM

With all your trying to start the bike you may have ran the battery down far enough that the voltage got to low to fire the coil while operating the electric start. You need 9volts min for a coil to produce enough power to jump the spark plug gap while under compression. By push starting it the engine may have been turning over fast enough to produce voltage of its own (from the stator). By kick starting the engine doesnt turn over much...maybe not enough to produce voltage.....just trying to help..TC

• rubberband-man

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Taycam--I had the bike on a battery tender--w/ full charge--12V. Hmmm- I have been able to kick start my bike when battery was dead. Maybe the bike is possessed.

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Based on your post where when you unplugged the bar switch and the bike started immediately, I suspect the problem lay in the switch. You double checked all the other wires look good. Now, suddenly, the bike runs with the switch connected. I would almost bet the problem will return. There could be a little metal sliver in the switch housing, rattling about, occasionally shorting. It may of fallen out never to cause you grief again, but then, maybe not.

I'd carefully take the switch apart on the kitchen table on top of some newsprint, and confirm everything looks good in there.

• Justang

Posted February 03, 2008 - 09:41 AM

+2 on the front brake light switch. Even though it is not required, it would be nice if the switch were included and the wiring in place. Not worth the trouble to me to add it but if it were already there, I'd potentially set it up.
I did set my bike up to make the OEM tail light work as a brake light to, as the function in the light is already there and the wire to the plug exists. I sourced a pin for the plug and jumpered to the BD harness to make the OEM light function when the BD kit is not installed.

You say other manufacturers of DS kits use the OEM tail light? Who, as I'd be interested is contacting them. PM or post here, please. :busted:

Trick sport uses the original tail light.

http://www.trickdual....com/yamaha.php

Hmm, I may have to try the original fender and put some blinkers on it. I like the YZ fender ok, but I prefer the WR fender. Do you have any pics of what you did?

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 01:41 PM

Thanks, Justang

I will shoot them a email

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justang

Posted February 03, 2008 - 03:21 PM

I'm going to try my hand at wiring the stock rear tail light to be a brake light. I bought some super LED turn signals and a Scotts License plate holder. I think that should do it.

I absolutely HATE the flush mount LED's on the BD kit. They hardly light up at all. You can't see them in the daylight, and barely visible at night. I want cars to know I'm signaling to turn or change lanes.

• rubberband-man

Posted February 03, 2008 - 03:52 PM

What are the symptoms of a bad stator?

• William1

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Lights not working, battery going dead. Real test is a voltmeter on the battery, engine running and voltage staying low at the same voltage as it is with the bike off. When running it should be over 13.5 volts. Your owners manual goes over the expected resistance and output the stator should have and the expected output at the regulator.

• rubberband-man

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hey William1--looks like you diagnosed my problem. Thanks

• William1

Posted February 04, 2008 - 03:54 AM

LOL, I gave you many hints, what was the final solution?

• face_plant

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:15 AM

DRC? How do I get one of those?

http://www.wheelingc...com/index.shtml
tell forrest i sent ya

• Justang

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:57 PM

So I put the WR fender back on. Call me weird but i didn't like the YZ fender, and I didn't like the way the BD rear tail light/blinkers package looked. Wiring to make the WR tail light act as a brake light was easy with the BD harness. From the BD kit to the stock tail light the wiring goes like this: black to black; red to blue; and blue to yellow. The stock tail light is wired to be a tail/brake light and has the proper bulb already installed. The stock tail/brake light is much brighter, and much more visible, than the LED tail light that comes with the BD LED kit, and the brake light is much much brighter on the stock vs BD LED kit.

I need to put blinkers on it and it'll be good to go. For that I also ordered new blinkers. I have two sets coming. One set of 18LED signals and pair of flush mount signals. The 18 LED signals should be very bright, but I'm not sure if I want the stalk turn signals hanging off the rear fender so that I kick them when getting on the bike, or them popping off when the bike is dumped. I'll check both of them out and see which ones I want based on looks, brightness, and functional durability. I also got a Scotts license plate holder for the plate. I will also need to rig up a license plate light per California law. Not sure if I'll use a small incandescent bulb or find a LED and mount it on the underneath of the rear fender.

I'll post pics when it's done.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.