!!!!!!!!! Need Help With Some Things Please!!!!!!!

10 replies to this topic
  • PHILA4359

Posted January 31, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Need Some Help Please... I Have A 04 Yz450f That I Bought New The End Of Last Year... Bike Runs Great I Did My 2nd Oil Change And Put In A New Uni Airfilter..... Question #1 Do I Have To Bring It To The Dealer After A Certian Amount Of Hours To Have The Valves Ajusted???? It Has Maybe 20hrs On It And Seems Ok...... 2# It Back Fires So Bad When I Let Go Of The Gas... Ive Been Reading About This And It Says To Ajust One Of The Screws On The Bottom Of The Carb.. I Did It But Really Didnt Make A Difference Only Turned It A Little Bit Each Way..... I Am Pretty Good With Tools Just Dont Want To Start Changing Stuff For No Reason And I Know The Dealers Going To Stick It To Me So Hard If I Bring It To Them......... Thanks....

• Smokeslider

Posted February 01, 2008 - 12:08 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you don't have the factory manual for the bike? The manual will answer all of those questions asked above and it will also save you a lot of money in the long run. IMHO, I would buy one pronto if I were you and read it from front to back until everything in the manual starts haunting you in your dreams.... Then check back here if you have anymore questions.

• motomanmike26

Posted February 01, 2008 - 12:13 PM

You can adjust the valves yourself. You don't need to do a valve job for a while(depending on where and how hard you ride your bike).The reason your bike is backfiring is because it is jetted wrong. Re jet and you'll be good to go.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2008 - 01:18 PM

I would buy (a manual) pronto if I were you and read it from front to back until everything in the manual starts haunting you in your dreams....

The idea is good, but you don't need to buy one unless you insist:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

You can adjust the valves yourself. You don't need to do a valve job for a while(depending on where and how hard you ride your bike).The reason your bike is backfiring is because it is jetted wrong. Re jet and you'll be good to go.

The bike may also simply have a loose clamp at the mid pipe joint. The valves should be checked, but I doubt they need adjusting.

• motomanmike26

Posted February 01, 2008 - 01:23 PM

yeah they probably don't need to be checked but its better to be safe then sorry...specially with a 4 stroke...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrMotorhed

Posted February 01, 2008 - 01:55 PM

actually they need to be checked alot and that's super easy. that answeres the question of wether or not they need to be adjusted. if you don't check, you don't know

• Smokeslider

Posted February 01, 2008 - 02:27 PM

sorry grey, forgot about the downloadable manuals, I guess I just prefer to have the paper version.

• PHILA4359

Posted February 01, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Thanks So Much Guys This Site Rocks...... Thanks Every One... Be Safe

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2008 - 03:14 PM

sorry grey, forgot about the downloadable manuals, I guess I just prefer to have the paper version.

You can print the ones from the site I linked to. Print what you need in the shop and don't worry about getting it dirty. :busted:

• Smokeslider

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:07 PM

yeah, I just did that for a WR250F Full engine rebuild and things can get interesting when there are 60 pages floating around my shop, but does make things easy sometimes.

• intensem1rider

Posted February 02, 2008 - 02:40 PM

20 hours, and it's only your 2nd oil change and you finally JUST put a new air filter in? Wow, your aching for a big head ache if you don't smarten up with your maintainance!!

Change your oil at no more than 5 hours, oil filter every 2nd change, clean your air filter every ride!
Pick up the manual, and it will show you step by step how to check the valves, it's pretty informative.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.