Applied Triple Clamps Solid or Rubber mount?

11 replies to this topic
  • FLeX484

Posted January 31, 2008 - 02:01 PM

Which one is better??...or is it all a matter of preference??...does the rubber help with vibration a little??

also...i am putting the 24mm offset clamps on an 06 which i plan to ride through the summer and then upgrade to an 08 in the fall....can i switch the clamps over to the 08 and expect it to help or hurt the turning??

Thanks

• rickallen124

Posted January 31, 2008 - 04:09 PM

I would go with the rubber mount as it does absorb some of the vibration. The stem on the 06 will not work with the 08 as the 08 is shorter.

• HMMRDWN

Posted January 31, 2008 - 04:23 PM

The 08 is already a 24mm offset. I beleive it you were to put them on a 08 it would change to a 23mm. The only difference with the 07 and the 08 they made the offset adjustment by moving the front axle position on the bottoms of the fork tubes.

I just put a 24mm set on my 07 YZF. I got the rubber mounted. I wont know how it is until the snow melts.

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2008 - 04:44 PM

The 08 is already a 24mm offset. I beleive it you were to put them on a 08 it would change to a 23mm. The only difference with the 07 and the 08 they made the offset adjustment by moving the front axle position on the bottoms of the fork tubes.

I just put a 24mm set on my 07 YZF. I got the rubber mounted. I wont know how it is until the snow melts.

This is factually incorrect. The clamp offset of the '08 fork is still 25mm, same as always. The trail specs are different than the earlier models because the axle offset was altered. Doug Dubach runs 24mm clamps on his own '08. There is a lot of debate over whether they accomplish anything similar to the effect they have on an '06, but those are the facts.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 01, 2008 - 12:02 PM

24mm Applied Rubber mtnd on my 06 - they do help with vibration a little :busted:

• motomanmike26

Posted February 01, 2008 - 12:24 PM

in the past i have had problems with the rubber and not being able to keep the front end straight. for example..if you reck bicycle and the bars turn 1 way and the bars and tire isn't straight...thats what happened. changed clamps to solid and it did not happened when i dumped my bike. might have just been me but i doubt it because it happened to my friend too. but the wheel and bars didn't move that much, just enough to notice it when riding...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted February 01, 2008 - 02:56 PM

The rubber mounted posts will twist slightly. If that happens you just have to loosen everything up, line it up and re-tighten everything. It's worth the comfort factor.

• motomanmike26

Posted February 02, 2008 - 11:47 AM

The rubber mounted posts will twist slightly. If that happens you just have to loosen everything up, line it up and re-tighten everything. It's worth the comfort factor.

thats a PITA to do everytime you dump your bike...

thats why i dont deal with rubber mounts.

• todds924

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:07 PM

Which one is better??...or is it all a matter of preference??...does the rubber help with vibration a little??

also...i am putting the 24mm offset clamps on an 06 which i plan to ride through the summer and then upgrade to an 08 in the fall....can i switch the clamps over to the 08 and expect it to help or hurt the turning??

Thanks

I would go with the rubber mounts for sure. As far as the 24 offset on an 08? i don't think its going to make that much difference. I have some Pro circuit 22.5's on my 08 and it didn't make a whole lot of difference.

• todds924

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:12 PM

I would go with the rubber mount as it does absorb some of the vibration. The stem on the 06 will not work with the 08 as the 08 is shorter.

I put a set of procircuit 22.5's on my 08. They were for an 07 yz 450. They came with the stem and lower bearing already installed. I thought i would have to press out my 08 stem to make them work but after measuring and comparing stems side by side...they were exactly the same. I used the pro circuit one.

• Rokatt88

Posted February 03, 2008 - 11:34 PM

You can't go wrong getting an Applied Factory Set of triple clamps for your YZ. Be aware that the clamps for your 2006 YZF are different than the clamps that will fit the 07 & 08's and yes, the steering stem IS it's own (mid) length for the 08 YZ450F.

Doug Dubach has been the test rider for Yamaha for over 20 years. He's tested all the offset variations and recommends the 24mm offset for the 06 YZ450F & the 07 & 08 YZ250F & 450Fs - the 06 YZ250F needs the 27mm clamps, but that's a whole different issue... They are at least a half pound lighter than stock and perform and enhance your handling.

If you run a fat bar and don't want your bars shifting when you dump it, get the solid mount. If you prefer rubber bar mounts then Applied gives you a great performance option. Their rubber mount clamps are made to accept Honda CR rubber cones but if you want the best feel then get Applied Sanoprene cones. They are 30% stiffer but still absorb the shock & vibrations, they just don't allow the bar mounts to tweak out like the softer Honda cones.

Best off all, you can order them all through Thumper Talk.:busted:

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2008 - 08:02 AM

Be aware that the clamps for your 2006 YZF are different than the clamps that will fit the 07 & 08's and yes, the steering stem IS it's own (mid) length for the 08 YZ450F.

I am unaware of any differences in the fit of the '06-'08 clamps, and I believe that it is simply a matter of them being incorrectly listed on Apllied's web site. RG3 shows the same clamp set for all 3, for example, and the forks on the three bikes are basically the same (the '08 lower leg is new).

The difference in stem length is that the '08 is 5mm shorter. Ideally, you would want the right one, but if you had an earlier stem in the '08, the only consequence would be that the stem would extend 5mm above the crown nut.

Beyond that, I agree that Applied offers an excellent product at a very good price, and their association with Doug Dubach works to everyone's advantage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.