ignition switch

17 replies to this topic
  • CHIPPY1964

Posted January 31, 2008 - 11:08 AM

i would like put some kind of key switch on my wr400 2000, i ride it on the road a lot, so was wondering if there is some kind of ingnition key type thingy for sale anywhere, at the moment there is nothing to stop it from starting, so anybody could ride it away. cheers

• matt4x4

Posted January 31, 2008 - 12:10 PM

You can buy key switches - heck, get a honda crf150 switch, personally, I'd put in a simple toggle switch somewhere well hidden but easily accessed - do that to most of my vehicles.

• kskyles

Posted January 31, 2008 - 12:30 PM

try out the search function, and you'll see a lot of guys putting TTR125 key switches on their bikes :busted:

• CORider63

Posted January 31, 2008 - 01:28 PM

I put this on my '07 WR-450 and it works great. You'll need to build a simple bracket to mount it in.

The electrical connector is identical to my stock wiring harness connector, but I had to move the pins in the new switch's connector to match the bike's wiring harness.

ElectroSport (E-Line) Keyed Ignition Switch ElectroSport Industries
3803 Oceanic Drive, Suite 201
Oceanside, CA 92056
1-760-842-8300
FAX: 1-760-842-8306
www.electrosport.com

Part Number: 1276-01
Description: Dakar Handlebar Switch Boxless
Price: $25.00

• dirtysouth

Posted January 31, 2008 - 03:24 PM

You can buy key switches - heck, get a honda crf150 switch, personally, I'd put in a simple toggle switch somewhere well hidden but easily accessed - do that to most of my vehicles.

Just put a masterlock (small) through a hole in the disc...it aint gonna be ridden anywhere

• SXP

Posted January 31, 2008 - 06:17 PM

I put this on my '07 WR-450 and it works great. You'll need to build a simple bracket to mount it in.

The electrical connector is identical to my stock wiring harness connector, but I had to move the pins in the new switch's connector to match the bike's wiring harness.

Oceanside, CA 92056
1-760-842-8300
www.electrosport.com

Could you post some pics - including some without the headlight so we see how it mounts up? Thanks.

• MaxPower

Posted January 31, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Oceanside, CA 92056
1-760-842-8300
www.electrosport.com

[COLOR="Green"]Im surprised Electrosport didnt send you the wrong part for the wrong bike[/COLOR]

• CORider63

Posted January 31, 2008 - 07:59 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Im surprised Electrosport didnt send you the wrong part for the wrong bike[/COLOR]

Why do you say that? I've never dealt with them before, but they were the only ones who knew the difference between a normally-open circuit and a normally-closed circuit.

The first ignition switch I ordered from a different company showed up but was a normally-closed switch, even though I had asked them how it was wired in at least three different ways.

I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

• CORider63

Posted January 31, 2008 - 09:13 PM

Could you post some pics - including some without the headlight so we see how it mounts up? Thanks.

Here's some pictures. I had to cut part of the metal bracket that held the stock On/Off push button switch in order to make room for the keyed ignition switch. (Note: I have seen several of these stock push-on/push-off switches fail or get flakey - not wanting to stay on or not wanting to turn off. This was another factor in my decision to go to a keyed switch.)

I then took a flat piece of heavy sheet metal, drilled a hole in it to fit the switch, cut a notch at the edge of one side of the hole to match the tab on the switch housing that keeps it from rotating. I then bent a 90-degree lip on the right side of the bracket and drilled a hole in it that lines up with the bolt for the top, right side of the headlight/number plate. (You can also see the K&S horn mounted to this same bolt. I just had to twist its mounting bracket a little to get it to line up.

Attached Thumbnails

• PIC00020.jpg
  • PIC00023.jpg
  • PIC00025.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 31, 2008 - 09:32 PM

Here's some pictures. I had to cut part of the metal bracket that held the stock On/Off push button switch in order to make room for the keyed ignition switch. (Note: I have seen several of these stock push-on/push-off switches fail or get flakey - not wanting to stay on or not wanting to turn off. This was another factor in my decision to go to a keyed switch.)

I then took a flat piece of heavy sheet metal, drilled a hole in it to fit the switch, cut a notch at the edge of one side of the hole to match the tab on the switch housing that keeps it from rotating. I then bent a 90-degree lip on the right side of the bracket and drilled a hole in it that lines up with the bolt for the top, right side of the headlight/number plate. (You can also see the K&S horn mounted to this same bolt. I just had to twist its mounting bracket a little to get it to line up.

Thanks! Does the switch have an LED to indicate it's on?

Also, I couldn't find the part number on the website. Did you have to call to order it?

• CORider63

Posted January 31, 2008 - 10:33 PM

Thanks! Does the switch have an LED to indicate it's on?

Also, I couldn't find the part number on the website. Did you have to call to order it?

It does not have an indicator light, but it's pretty easy to see that the key is in the ignition and turned on.

You'll have to call them to order it.

By the way, it comes with a 4-wire connector and independent normally-open and normally-closed switches inside so you can use it as a power/ignition switch or as a traditional kill switch.

• face_plant

Posted February 01, 2008 - 08:31 AM

i just put a teather on mine, most thieves dont realize what they do.. and if you do manage to start it its loud enough to draw attention for say 1mile P

• gimple393

Posted March 08, 2008 - 04:48 PM

I didnt see were it is told what wires to connect. I bought the baja designs key with two wires. green and grey. want to replace the on\ off switch on a 06 wr450. any help?

• CORider63

Posted March 08, 2008 - 06:45 PM

See the attached Excel workbook. It shows the Yamaha schematic and the wiring pinout of the switch that I used.

Attached Files

• gimple393

Posted March 09, 2008 - 03:59 PM

thanks, that helped. got her to work but when hooked up, turning the key 'on' actually turns the power off. so must have the wrong switch. thanks again

• CORider63

Posted March 09, 2008 - 04:22 PM

thanks, that helped. got her to work but when hooked up, turning the key 'on' actually turns the power off. so must have the wrong switch. thanks again

If you have the Baja Designs switch, then, "Yes, you've got the wrong switch for trying to replace the Stock Push-On/Push-Off switch." What you have is a "Normally Closed" switch. That is, your's conducts electricity when it is turned OFF.

The ElectroSport switch is actually two switches in one: A "Normally Closed" switch, like your's that could be wired in parallel with your existing Kill Switch circuit, AND a "Normally Open" switch which is what you need to replace the stock Push-On/Push-Off switch. That is, it conducts electricity when turned ON.

In my previous diagram, the Red & Black wires on the ElectroSport switch are connected to the "Normally Open" switch, and the Green and Black/White Stripe wires are connected to the "Normally Closed" switch.

• mrkimrkonja

Posted September 07, 2009 - 01:49 AM

What about this swich?

they do mention WR

Will this be "normaly open"?

http://www.electrosp...products_id=807

Switch Key Ignition
Part Number: 1818-00
Price: $21.50

Product Description:
This is the ignition switch that we use on our boxless type dual-sport kits. This is a replacement part for the WR, CRF-X, DRZ dual-sport kits.

• CORider63

Posted September 07, 2009 - 06:33 PM

What about this swich?

they do mention WR

Will this be "normaly open"?

http://www.electrosp...products_id=807

Switch Key Ignition
Part Number: 1818-00
Price: $21.50

Product Description:
This is the ignition switch that we use on our boxless type dual-sport kits. This is a replacement part for the WR, CRF-X, DRZ dual-sport kits.

Yes. That one has both normally-open AND a normally-closed contacts.

Here is the same switch, but it includes a mounting plate. Unless you need some sort of custom mount, I would recommend that you save yourself some hassle and order this one, instead.

http://www.electrosp...detail-1817.php

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.