Foam in the Gas Tank

29 replies to this topic
  • todds924

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:14 PM

There might be a small difference between the 0.9 gallons of fuel sloshing around in a half full YZ450 and the 9000+ gallons in a C-130 executing a 60 degree bank at low speed. Just guessing. But I do so enjoy the sarcasm.

I tried my 06 with and without the foam. I couldn't tell a difference at all. My 08 has NO foam in it.

• NorCal

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:46 PM

I wouldn't mind having it in there if it only took .1 of a gallon out of my tank. :busted:

• kevin nichols

Posted February 02, 2008 - 10:54 PM

It probably makes a huge difference in larger tanks. My YZ426F carries near four gallons.

• wolfie12

Posted February 03, 2008 - 08:09 AM

There might be a small difference between the 0.9 gallons of fuel sloshing around in a half full YZ450 and the 9000+ gallons in a C-130 executing a 60 degree bank at low speed. Just guessing. But I do so enjoy the sarcasm.

I'm with you. I can't see how anyone can say with any certainty that it makes a difference with a half tank of gas, which is usually all I run for a race anyways. For woods or desert, where people run bigger tanks and top them off, I guess I could see it. The other part is you can't tell how much gas is in the tank with foam, and I ain't got time to pull out my calculator or measuring cup after every race.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2008 - 01:03 PM

The reason I mentioned half a tank was because it's at that point that the most gas has the most room to move around in the tank, so that should be the point at which controlling the slosh would make the most difference. When they're full, they're just heavy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted February 03, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I must say!....If the foam in the tank gets old(like being in there for over a year) would it start breaking up? Like if it gets dried out would it become brittle over time and spread out all through the tank? This foam is articulated foam isnt it? I have seen some of these articulated foams overtime in race cars(like late model dirt tracker's) get old and brittle and start breaking and making a mess in the fuel cell.

• mmbasa

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:57 AM

To all the skeptics, why not give it a try before bashing. Guys spend $800+ on pipes when stock puts out more power than most can handle. Guys spend $10+ a gallon on race gas when the bike works just fine on pump gas. Whats $50 on a product that could potentially make your bike handle & turn better. If you haven't tried it then you really shouldn't be giving an opinion on whether it works or not.

• Mfinazzo

Posted February 05, 2008 - 07:11 AM

To all the skeptics, why not give it a try before bashing. Guys spend $800+ on pipes when stock puts out more power than most can handle. Guys spend $10+ a gallon on race gas when the bike works just fine on pump gas. Whats $50 on a product that could potentially make your bike handle & turn better. If you haven't tried it then you really shouldn't be giving an opinion on whether it works or not.

Very good point and I thank everyone that has given their opinion. That said I think I'll try it. What's $50 its not like I haven't already spent money on exhaust, suspension modes, triple clamps, handlebars, power flow air filter and tires. My wife will thank me that its only $50 to make me great at corning.:busted:

• mmbasa

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:10 AM

I never said it would make you great at corning, just the possibility of better handling. I just get peeved at all the people who have never tried a product but still tell people whether it works or not. My point being lets hear from the people who have actually test or use the product and not from the brain trust of experts that have no experience with the product being discussed.

• King_Air

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:27 AM

I never said it would make you great at corning, just the possibility of better handling. I just get peeved at all the people who have never tried a product but still tell people whether it works or not. My point being lets hear from the people who have actually test or use the product and not from the brain trust of experts that have no experience with the product being discussed.

What is everyones thoughts of using foam in the tank to improve handling? It sounds like voodoo to me but if it works I'll try it.

It seems that the OP asked for everyones thoughts, therefore he got many differing opinions.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.