dampner rod holder

4 replies to this topic
  • brad the best

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:50 PM

03 wr450f

were do you get a Damper rod holder:YM-1423/90890-01423

i dissasembled my forks to get all the oil out and to clean them , but have no way to hold the dampner tube or w.e its called to get the base valve to tighten down

do you really lock tight that sucker ? the manual says locktight and 40ft/lbs , the lock tight seems excessive to me .im assuming blue locktight .

i would really just like a picture of the tool , i was thinking of just notching a pipe to hold it sort of like a spindle nut for a truck .

if any one has a home made solution , or the real thing , or knows the price . i would really appreciate it .

• SXP

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:18 PM

i would really just like a picture of the tool , i was thinking of just notching a pipe to hold it sort of like a spindle nut for a truck .

You are on the right track. I use a piece of PVC pipe and cut four notches into one end to look like a castle turret. Cheap and effective.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:36 PM

a piece of pvc pipe took 40 ft/lbs? thats awesome , thank you so much thats way easier then machining out a pipe . do you remember what size pipe it was , i suppose i can just measure it .

thanks again.

• SXP

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:56 PM

a piece of pvc pipe took 40 ft/lbs? thats awesome , thank you so much thats way easier then machining out a pipe . do you remember what size pipe it was , i suppose i can just measure it .

thanks again.

It's been a long time since I took the forks that far apart, but 1" Schedule 40 comes to mind. I can't remember and don't have it handy. It seemed like you only needed the holder to stop the initial spinning. Once the initial spinning stopped, I don't recall needing to apply a whole lot of pressure to the "tool" to keep the cartridge from spinning while I torqued it down to spec. This is where I got the idea from:

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

Go to Tech Articles/Suspension/Cheap Cartridge Holder

• brad the best

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:11 PM

haha i looked on his site but not at that part . again you saved me a head ache . i have some 1" pvc laying around the house

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.