Getting an 08 yz450 to turn better ?

42 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 11:03 AM

I know that I am going to take some heat for this but it is the truth. The YZ will never turn like the Honda regardless of which offset you use. The Yami has no flair or flash when it comes to turning. The 24mm triple clamps will only make a very minor difference on the 08 and without careful set up you will not realize any advantages. Still the Honda will turn easier. Listen and Listen good though----The Honda will never be as resilient, stable, or reliable as the YZ. (Probably take heat for that statement too) To get the best handling out of the blue (or white) yz450f many factors will actually work in unison to aid in reducing the push factor and give the bike a more planted feel on flat or sweeping corners.

1 - 24mm offset or stock. In my opinion the stock work just as good for these reasons: They are nearly a half pound heavier than the Applied Set (more wieght on front end = more bite). Secondly, the stock clamps have a newly designed ribbed gusseting built into to them which feed more flex into the fork tubes.
2- Ditch the stock rear 120 tire for a 110 (For that matter ditch the stock tire s altogether! THEY ARE JUNK!
3- Get the DRD radiator lowering Kit. By moving the radiator weight down 20mm, you will get a more planted feel in the corners. You will need the DRD "low-boy" head pipe if you perform this mod.
4 - Get the best Terrain specific tires available!
5 - The YZF will turn better if the motor is set up for torque instead of rev and if it is ridden this way. Keep this in mind when buying pipes or motor work.

Well put. Point 3 will help, but isn't absolutely needed. On point 2, I don't know if I would go all the way to "junk" but the OEM 742FA/756 combo does have a pretty limited range of soils in which it works. I tried a 742FA, and was quickly disappointed.

Otherwise, this advice is spot on. The aluminum framed YZF's have a great deal of effort put into them to centralize as much of the mass as possible, and one of the interesting side effects of that is that the bike becomes more sensitive to small changes. Even having the handlebar too low will contribute to pushing the front. Ultimately, your body position will be one of the biggest influences. Try deliberately scooting forward one inch or so from wherever you happen to be as you approach each turn. You'll be surprised.

• grunkthump

Posted February 05, 2008 - 12:40 PM

actually I would think having a low bar would HELP with pushing as it would get more of your weight over the front!! right?? (especially if it was flat no sweep)

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 02:42 PM

Makes sense when you say it, but it doesn't seem to happen that way. Has to do with the angle of the rider's arms and how feedback gets to him. Then again, everyone's different.

• racerxx276

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:01 PM

best, cheapest way to improve the 08 turning ( which is really good actually)
.Get a new longer chain, move the rear wheel as far back as you can, put on the new chain. What this does is moves the engine weight farther forward onto the front wheel. It makes a big difference! Much more than the 24 mm triple clamps...

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:15 PM

... move the rear wheel as far back as you can, ... It makes a big difference! Much more than the 24 mm triple clamps...

Now think what moving your butt an inch does. :busted:

I know it's an '06, but look at Dr. D's position on the bike here: (click)

Posted Image

• loudarbs

Posted February 05, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Looks like the collar on his rear axle is not that far back either.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Looks like the collar on his rear axle is not that far back either.

Look again. It's about 2/3 to 3/4 back.

Posted Image

• bnyfe

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:42 PM

best, cheapest way to improve the 08 turning ( which is really good actually)
.Get a new longer chain, move the rear wheel as far back as you can, put on the new chain. What this does is moves the engine weight farther forward onto the front wheel. It makes a big difference! Much more than the 24 mm triple clamps...

Great!!! Forgot about that one! Just got a longer chain. How many extra links?

• racerxx276

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:09 PM

Go to the january issue of MXA , look at Langstons bike,
when I was at the world vets last nov, Dr D's bike was the same way...

nuff said...

• ltrosson

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Not to be a critic, but why is there even discusiion about making the 08 turn better. From all of the posts I was hoping it was alot better than my 06.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • loudarbs

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Actually Gray, the center of the axle looks to be in line with where the indexing marks are on the swingarm on Dubach's bike. Which also looks to be close to stock position. Unfortunately I couldn't pull up a good pic of Langston MX bike for '07 but I remember the axle being about 90% to the rear of the adjustment. I don't know if the were also running offset triples and MAYBE a custom swingarm and/or linkage.(probably). Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:03 AM

The picture you have there is pretty good. You can see that he has the axle well back in the slot, and actually farther than on Doug's bike. You can decide to have the axle as far back as you can, but the chain and the gearing selection are going to give you two possible ways to set up the axle position IF you're lucky, assuming you don't want to use a "half link" (and I don't recommend them). So it just may be that the position the wheel is in on the Yellow bike is what was available. :busted: That's about where mine is, and I could have had either that, or the axle all the way forward.

As far as clamps, I read in more than one place (and have seen pictures) that Grant runs the stock clamps on his. It's all a matter of taste.

• AnotherRedHead

Posted February 06, 2008 - 08:45 AM

So what are the best tires for the 08? Bridgestones? Dunlops? Whats everyone think?

• adamdf

Posted February 06, 2008 - 09:17 AM

Just out of curiousity, are you coming off a 250F? If so you will not only find the yamaha more difficult to corner, but all the 450s as well, they just take a little more finessing a find, not to mention on a tight track they will have your energy levels burned out faster too.

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:13 AM

So what are the best tires for the 08? Bridgestones? Dunlops? Whats everyone think?

It entirely depends on what kind of soil you ride on. I'm pretty happy with the D755 in the desert and loose conditions. (we're talking front tires here) I like the 952 as a good all around that works great at places like Cahuilla Creek. In places where there is more hard pack, the 745 works a little better for me.

In the rear, I run a 110/90 x 19 D952 pretty much everywhere because they work nearly as good as anything just about everywhere, better than anything in some conditions, they wear well, and I get them cheap.

• SoZo

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:18 AM

I set the sag and its almost perfect. It still stands up in the center of a turn a litttle but I just sit a little bit up on the tank or ride the front break into the turn and its fine.

Thanks All,

I like the bike much more then my Honda which I loved.

John

• racerxx276

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:25 AM

here is that pic from mxa

http://s223.photobuc...t=Picture2.jpg/

• Ga426owner

Posted February 06, 2008 - 10:45 AM

I run my axle back like GL's 08 on my 06 with 24mm AppliedRacing clamps. It does help, but to Greys point get your @$$ up on the tank like DRDs 06 picture, this is how you get a 06-08 to turn. And for the 1000th time a seat that is not shaped like a camelback (the 06-08 stockseat) will help you get forward EASIER! The SDG Tall seat works wonders for making it easier to get your weight up farther towards the front.
And if is is still not good enough....:busted:

• adamdf

Posted February 06, 2008 - 11:41 AM

I set the sag and its almost perfect. It still stands up in the center of a turn a litttle but I just sit a little bit up on the tank or ride the front break into the turn and its fine.

Thanks All,

I like the bike much more then my Honda which I loved.

John

:worthy: Good to hear, told ya these guys knew what they were talking about :busted:

• bnyfe

Posted February 06, 2008 - 12:52 PM

Not to be a critic, but why is there even discusiion about making the 08 turn better. From all of the posts I was hoping it was alot better than my 06.

In loam, sand, berms, or ruts it is fine. But faster riders will definitely notice a push (the front end "washing out") at turn in (fore, center, and aft of the dex) on flat or off camber corners. It is noticeable, and you have to compensate for it when you go into the corner.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.