anyone put a rekluse clutch on a 65sx?

5 replies to this topic
  • albertaguy

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:11 AM

been thinking about the rekluse auto clutch on my boys 65sx. He does fine around the place and on the track with the clutch but single track and climbing with obsticles he tends to stall a lot and fall over loosing confidence. He did awsome in the hills with his 50 which was auto. Just looking for some reports from anyone who's done it. Issues? Overheating, longevity? Thanks.

• Richie B

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:56 PM

been thinking about the rekluse auto clutch on my boys 65sx. He does fine around the place and on the track with the clutch but single track and climbing with obsticles he tends to stall a lot and fall over loosing confidence. He did awsome in the hills with his 50 which was auto. Just looking for some reports from anyone who's done it. Issues? Overheating, longevity? Thanks.

I don't know about the rekluse but I know what you mean about stalling. My 65 is harder to keep going then my 250.

• ac717

Posted January 30, 2008 - 05:08 PM

I have 2 rekluse clutches-it will definitely help him in the woods.Set it up like the instructions say,call rekluse to double check everything and you will have no issues. I'd ask him if he would like a rekluse,if you haven't already.I'd hate to see you shell out that money for something he wouldn't want.They are great,but it I do feel it becomes a crutch and you loose connection to the bike,as you do with a regular clutch.IMO

• albertaguy

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:52 PM

I do feel it becomes a crutch and you loose connection to the bike,as you do with a regular clutch.IMO

I worry a bit about this, he had a pw50 at 4 because they are tiny - no gears, then a honda 50 at 5, 3 gears - no clutch, then a ktm senior pro 50 at 7 just to get him use to the 2 stroke power and he was destroying his honda but the 65's seemed really big at the time. Then at 8 last summer he got the 65sx. Like I said he picked up the clutch concept pretty fast on the track and in the open but then climbing hills and going over rocks and roots, that's not easy for anyone, but these bikes seeem to stall pretty easy. I like the fact that he's catching on to the 2 stroke and understanding the powerband and these bikes are set up very nice, not interested in a different bike. I don't want him to depend on it so much that it becomes a problem when he goes up to an 85. My thought was this would let him figure out the proper gear selection for climbing and tight trails without having to worry about fanning the clutch every time he has to slow down, etc. I want to keep his confidence up so he likes doing it and once he developes more skills we can add the clutch back in. I think I'll do it. I did talk to him about it and he did like the prospect of not having to clutch in the hills and much less stalling and starting on side hills. There is some risk he gets too use to no clutch but there is also a risk that if he has a tough enough time in the hills it may not be fun anymore and he will not want to go anymore.

• Mr._know-it-all

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:10 PM

I put an auto clutch on my kids kx 65 and it was so good I put a rekluse on my 250. really no downside I can see unless maybe the kid is a national mx rider.:busted:

• albertaguy

Posted January 31, 2008 - 07:26 AM

I put an auto clutch on my kids kx 65 and it was so good I put a rekluse on my 250. really no downside I can see unless maybe the kid is a national mx rider.:busted:

Not that he's told me about, sounds great - that's going to be one awsome set up and he's going to have a lot more fun which is what it's all about anyway. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.