Oxford Brand Heated Hand Grips

12 replies to this topic
  • DINGUS88

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:32 AM

Anyone ever try the Oxford Heated Grips? I ride year round in PA and always felt heated grips were for BMW'S and Gold Wing's but I broke down and ordered a set of these from eBay (when my hands finally thawed and I could move them again). Anyway, don't really know what to expect but I planned on mounting them on my XR 650 L when they come in. Any suggestions / comments / tips from anyone who has tried these or something similar would be welcomed. Or if you just want to call me a sissy for ordering heated grips.
-Dingus

• knuklehead

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:49 AM

I've found that the temp from one side to the other can be way diff, some say to run a resister to even them out.I just changed the stock plastic th tube to a alu one and it made the dif much less noticable.Mine are from moose atv catalog.Run them on my 650r and 250x,once you run them you want them on every thing.

• jonr3

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:01 AM

I bought the ones from Symtec and they're great.

I wrote a review in the TT review section:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=574261

They were easy to install and they have a built-in resistor so that both grips feel the same. I used the round hi/low switch and mounted it on the side of the headlight fairing of my 650L.

Also, their customer service is the best. If your Oxfords don't work out, I highly recommend the Symtecs.:busted:

• dylanr

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:05 AM

I had the Oxford heaters on my fourwheeler, they worked good for a year, now they dont work at all.

• DINGUS88

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:20 AM

Wow great feedback and no one called me a SISSY yet. Thanks guys. Wish I had asked before ordering, but if I get a year out of the Oxfords for $50 it would be worth it.
-Dingus

• haggeo

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:41 AM

the symtecs are about $26, i wonder why the oxfords are that much more?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Sissy.:busted:

Welcome to TT!

• DINGUS88

Posted January 30, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Sissy.:busted:

Welcome to TT!

Didn't see that coming. Thanks

• ToXicD

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:37 PM

Anyone know how many amps they draw? I have thought about this before and would just be concerned with wattage problems on the 650r. I have seen some that have a adjustment knob that let's you select how hot you want them. Pretty cool but I have always had problems with twisting my grips off even with glue. Might have to try tie wire so I don't twist them and yank out the wires.

• DINGUS88

Posted January 31, 2008 - 05:00 AM

I bought the ones from Symtec and they're great.

I wrote a review in the TT review section:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=574261

They were easy to install and they have a built-in resistor so that both grips feel the same. I used the round hi/low switch and mounted it on the side of the headlight fairing of my 650L.

Also, their customer service is the best. If your Oxfords don't work out, I highly recommend the Symtecs.:busted:

I checked the Symtec kit and it looks like the "heaters" go inside the bars and you use your own grips. It also says not to be used with aluminum bars and I am running Pro-Tapers. The Oxfords are grips that have heating elements in them, along with a temperature control switch. I'll give the Oxfords a try and if they don't work I'll contact Symtec to see why their set up can't be used with the aluminum bars. Was the insert you installed in the bars flexible? In other words, could you curl it tighter to fit in the ID of an aluminum bar (smaller than steel bars)? Other than a fit problem I'm not sure why the aluminum bar wouldn't work. Different heat dissapation would be my only other guess. Thanks for the tip and the info on Symtec. I'll post my results when I get everything sorted.
-Dingus

• jonr3

Posted January 31, 2008 - 06:14 AM

I checked the Symtec kit and it looks like the "heaters" go inside the bars and you use your own grips. It also says not to be used with aluminum bars and I am running Pro-Tapers. The Oxfords are grips that have heating elements in them, along with a temperature control switch. I'll give the Oxfords a try and if they don't work I'll contact Symtec to see why their set up can't be used with the aluminum bars. Was the insert you installed in the bars flexible? In other words, could you curl it tighter to fit in the ID of an aluminum bar (smaller than steel bars)? Other than a fit problem I'm not sure why the aluminum bar wouldn't work. Different heat dissapation would be my only other guess. Thanks for the tip and the info on Symtec. I'll post my results when I get everything sorted.
-Dingus

I bought this Symtec kit:
http://www.casportto...rods/16025.html

It is an adhesive element that sticks to the outside of the bars and your grips go on over it, so that the heating elements are sandwiched between the bars and the grips. I'm using Renthal aluminum bars and they work great. I talked to the president of the company a couple of times about my application and he never mentioned anything about me having aluminum bars.:busted:

• DINGUS88

Posted January 31, 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks jonr3. If the Oxfords don't workI'll know where to go.

• Whiteman

Posted January 31, 2008 - 03:37 PM

http://www.dual-star...d_grip_kit1.htm

Check out the Heavy Wall Shrink Tube for you left side. It will keep each side heated the same. You will need to buy two sets of grips because both side will now need two right side grips. I used one set but the left grip is slightly bigger than the right side now. No big deal to me but next time I change grips out I will get two sets.
A friend helped me install mine. Hell he did the whole thing and used the tail light. He put a relay on then ran the power straight from the battery with a inline fuse. They work great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.