'98 YZ400F more of a Racebike or hillclimber?

15 replies to this topic
  • Twoply

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:51 AM

I just got my yz out and it stimulated a discussion among us.

Is the yz400f more for trails, hillclimbing or racing?

THanks all!
Mike

• 642MX

Posted January 30, 2008 - 05:31 AM

I just got my yz out and it stimulated a discussion among us.

Is the yz400f more for trails, hillclimbing or racing?

THanks all!
Mike

IMO, Its actually a good all around bike. Lots of us use them for all the above, but it was designed to be a MX bike. :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:42 AM

The YZ400F is a purpose built MX race bike. Then again, so was the 700cc Lito in the picture here. The thing is that it's 290 lb. weight and short suspension travel (6 and 4", f/r) were rendered obsolete by subsequent development of lighter machines with better suspension, and so any of them that were still in use became trail bikes and hill climbers. The newer, lighter bikes were then rendered obsolete by even newer, better, faster ones, and suffered the same fate. Eventually, the same thing happened to the YZ400, just as it will with a new '08. Time waits for no one.

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted January 30, 2008 - 07:56 AM

so gray.... you are saying my 400 was obsolete when ???
just kidding. it is still a great old trail bike imo
btw nice bike !!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:04 AM

...my 400 was obsolete when ???

In 2000, on the strictest level as a race bike. On a more practical level, it would have been '02 or '03. It isn't any less motorcycle than it ever was, of course. The new stuff just keeps getting better, and better, and better....

Now if the word "obsolete" bothers you at all, you should avoid computers.

• jayh300

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:14 AM

nah i hear that word all the time..
in reference to me, my truck, my bikes, my computer(has less hard drive space than my son's ipod). it is a challenge to live with the old stuff.

• BASSic

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:34 AM

The thing is that it's 290 lb. weight and short suspension travel (6 and 4", f/r) were rendered obsolete by subsequent development of lighter machines with better suspension

Isn't that what a 400F with fuel and oil weighs? :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Isn't that what a 400F with fuel and oil weights? :busted:

Almost, but the YZ has better suspension and a 5 speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:15 PM

I think my manual says 255, thats with oil and no gas i think... mine has a 3 gal gas tank so i am pushing that 290 figure. the only time i notice it is too heavy is when i am picking it up or it lands on me !!!!

• KAS

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:22 PM

I remember back when the YZ400 first came out, all the rags gushing over how light it was for a 4-stroke. My buddy bought one and I swear it was just as heavy to lift up as my XR600 was.

Then again, it was faster & handled way better than the 600.

• 642MX

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:18 PM

nah i hear that word all the time..
in reference to me, my truck, my bikes, my computer(has less hard drive space than my son's ipod). it is a challenge to live with the old stuff.

I with ya. I can't stay on top of technology.....it just costs to much to have the latest and greatest.

I just try to remember how fortunate I am to be able to ride. Some people will never be able to enter our hobby because of financial reasons and I feel lucky to have what I do. :busted:

And remember, its 90% rider and 10% bike. I could swap bikes with Chad Reed and he could make me look like a fool with my own dinosaur....lol

• BASSic

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:43 PM

I think my manual says 255, thats with oil and no gas i think...

I believe my YZ426 manual says 232, but something tells me that's a bit understated.

Despite the weight, it's more fun and easier to ride than a 250 2-smoker from the same era. Sure, the 250s are lighter, but the power delivery is so much more manageable which makes it better for my riding.

• jayh300

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:45 PM

yeah i hear ya 642...we used to ride with some guys that owned/worked at a mc store. they were all out of bikes one weekend "waaaaa" and one of the guys had to ride a big wheel kx80.. i still could not keep up.
btw the manual on old blue says 252 lbs with oil and a full tank of fuel.
jay

• 642MX

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:47 PM

I believe my YZ426 manual says 232, but something tells me that's a bit understated.

I really don't want to know what mine weighs.... I have a 3.9 gallon tank for long trail rides and when I fill it up, I can't hardly lift it off the bike stand... I don't use the tank except for long rides, its just to big.... I think I could race the Baja 1000 and then go trail riding the next weekend without ever filling it back up. :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 05:03 PM

That's dry weight. Very, very dry. No gas, no oil, no coolant, no suspension oil. It's the sort of number that is only important if you race the Soap Box Derby.

• gem

Posted January 30, 2008 - 05:12 PM

My 2000 426 in the 4+ years I have owned it has needed nothing! It still starts easily and I think this year I may finally give it some love( AD cam, new timing chain, and top end and finally replace the springs that were put in by a guy 100 lbs heavier). I would think the big issue in assessing an old bikes worth ( for every day riding, not collecting of course) is wether or not you can over ride the bike. Which I can not do with the 426. I think it was in the TGO special edition where a few mechanics (like Gosselar) said that RC and JS can over ride their fire breathing factory bikes. CRAZY!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.