Anti-seize for exhaust joints?

9 replies to this topic
  • rickallen124

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:43 PM

Is the high temp anti-seize that we use on spark plugs good for keeping exhausts from galling together at the joints? I would like to be able to pull my exhaust apart without too much twisting a pulling and thought this stuff might help. Does anyone have any experience with anti-seize on a Ti pipe? Thanks for any input.

• stroker101

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:56 PM

good ?. i think i'll try that on my Ti/Ti system. it is a very close fit and had some resistance when trying to remove the muffler the other day. my system is only a week old.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:04 PM

I don't think anti-seize will work that well, but it might. The oil/grease base will burn off, and the "carbon" residue may actually tighten the joint. Dry moly might be a better idea. I use a GM product I have called "Heat Valve Lubricant & Penetrating Oil Spray. It's a moly bearing penetrating oil. A quick shot before pulling it apart, and things go a lot easier.

• crazyal426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 11:42 PM

Use liquid maloxx. Anti-sieze burns off and is useless. The calcium in Maloxx won't burn away and leaves your bike smelling minty fresh. But seriously, that's what we do on jet engine exhaust ejector bolts to keep them from seizing up from the repetative heating and cooling. I use it on my Jardine stainless system and it is pretty easy to pull the mid-pipe from the header. I also use it on the header guard bolts. Good Luck!!!

• rickallen124

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:23 AM

Are exhaust temperatures that much higher than the sparkplug temperatures? I always use a high temp anti-seize on the spark plugs and they always come out easily without the anti-seize being burnt off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Grayracer, what do you think of Duponts multi purpose teflon/moly lube that sets up dry?http://performancelu...ucts_multi.html
I've used this product on my throttle tube with good luck, super smooth throttle.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:51 AM

Do your spark plugs glow red, or turn blue from the heat? They run at less than half of the temperature of your exhaust system, which can reach 600 degrees at the pipe joint.

• rickallen124

Posted January 30, 2008 - 07:53 AM

I figured that was the case as the engine gets a fresh cool charge from incoming fuel/air.The high temp anti-seize I have is rated up to 1500 F. I'm sure that covers the heat of the exhaust but leaves the question of wether or not some of the components of the anti-seize will burn off and leave a carbon build up.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:00 AM

The head is also a relatively large mass of aluminum with a direct cooling system, compared to a piece of Ti tubing .040" thick just floating on its own.

If the anti-seize is rated that high, it seems logical that such a rating would take into account the burn off of the vehicle base. Certainly, if used on a bolt, or a caliper pin, any build up of burned gunk would tend to tighten things up, rather than keep them free. The vehicle solvents are probably more prone to evaporate than burn. Give it a try.

• rickallen124

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Grayracer. I think I'll try this stuff. http://www.permatex....e_Lubricant.htm

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.