Newer KTM or YZ450 for a trail bike?

13 replies to this topic
  • kid on a 426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:47 PM

Hey, I've decided to sell my faithful 2000 yz426 for a newer/lighter ride. I've been looking around on craigslist and there's quite a few deals on newish KTMs and a few deals on newer yz450s. Any opinions/suggestions on what you would prefer for a trail bike? I've never owned a smoker before, but I'm open to that too. I'm pretty knowledgable on yamahas but am a little confused on all the different KTM models. Also on a side not, I have a SUB mounted GPR stabilizer on my 426, and was wondering if it would be possible to transfer it to a new ktm?

• NorCal

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:59 PM

That's a hard question. If I were to get another thumper besides a new Yami, I would choose the 450XC. If you were going for a used bike, get an 06 or 07 because they are green sticker unlike the 08s which are red. Plus they are great on a motocross track and come all wired ready to run a headlight. Oh, it has electric start, too.

With that being said, I still don't think I would get one mainly because of my last ride at Clear Creek with about 10 other guys on KTM XCs. To make a long story short, we rode some nasty singletrack. Damn near every KTM was overheating and steaming out coolant. My YZ was a little hot but definitely not overheating.

I'm staying blue because you can make a YZ an awesome trail bike and they are reliable as hell. Look for a 2006+ YZ450 IMO and don't look back.

• ridin_ktm

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:00 PM

i also owned a 426 it was a good reliable HEAVY TANK but an all in all good bike. i now have an 08 ktm 505 sx and it is an awesome machine.... but i also owned an 06 ktm 450 and it was very similar to the 426 in a lot of ways like manual compresion release and carb mounted hot start and pretty heavy for its class, and i also thought some of the handling was shady... mostly in corners. my suggestion as far as ktm goes is 07 and newer becuase of the amount of technology difference like the awesome elec. start, weight reduction, styling, ridability and suspension.:busted: i have not yet had a problem with overheating do to winter weather but i do know that the radiators are somewhat bigger on the 07-08 modle 450-505 bikes

• kid on a 426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:05 PM

I was even thinking 05-06 yz250 possibly, but they seem to be very popular around here and always go for top dollar it seems. All my riding friends run some type of yz250, and all swear by them. I have ridden 4 strokes all my life, but the 2 stroke power delivery is just sooo fun. My dream bike would be an '07 wr450, but there are still none for sale, or like $5500+. I will probably only have about $4000 at the very most to spend. There was a badass 2006 KTM 525 sx-f for $3500, but I still haven't sold the Beast yet.

• ktmdestroyer

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:15 PM

WHY :worthy: That bike looks brand new. You can probably great more bang for buck if you had the suspension Tuned ($600)to your style and weight, tune and rework engine ($1000 depending). I know after doing this once. Depends on if your willing to buy Brand new. Cause only selling to get 2-5 years newer isn't gonna be as great as upgrading. On a bike that looks like it might not of been ridden much?

Depend? I could be wrong. :busted:

• kid on a 426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:18 PM

WHY :worthy: That bike looks brand new. You can probably great more bang for buck if you had the suspension Tuned ($600)to your style and weight, tune and rework engine ($1000 depending). I know after doing this once. Depends on if your willing to buy Brand new. Cause only selling to get 2-5 years newer isn't gonna be as great as upgrading. On a bike that looks like it might not of been ridden much?

Depend? I could be wrong. :busted:

Hah, well those pics are nearly 2 years old. The bike has seen quite a bit of riding time since... But I have a IMS tank, GPR stabilizer and all sorts of other goodies, but that still doesn't make up for the fact that its 30+ pounds heavier than most new 450's and the suspension is very outdated and never been worked on.

• ktmdestroyer

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Sounds like you have convinsed yourself enough. I think your

Newer KTM or YZ450 for a trail bike?

I have ridden both and the KTM XCw's are quiet nice. Excellent trail bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like you have convinsed yourself enough. I think your I have ridden both and the KTM XCw's are quiet nice. Excellent trail bikes.

Yah, i ride track every once in a while, but certainly have no plans of racing motocross anytime soon. Mostly do single track, hillclimbs, some fire roads, and going to try to do a few hare scrambles this year.

• atropine

Posted January 30, 2008 - 01:07 AM

I traded my YZ 426 for an 05 KTM 450 MXC that had a ton of upgrades like Rekluse, pipe, headlights, reworked suspension, etc. It was a very plush bike and would soak of the whoops sections of trails like nothing else. The 6-speed tranny and electric start were very nice. However, after about 2 months I found myself wanting a lighter bike that I could throw around a little easier. So I traded it for an 06 YZ450 with a Revloc clutch. The YZ is about 26 pounds lighter and it feels like it. I love being able to toss it around and I am not a good enough rider to have done that on the KTM. However, I got to ride a 2004 KTM 300MXC 2-stroke a couple weeks ago. That bike was incredible. Very light, and amazing power. The power delivery from that engine was very smooth. I would have to give that bike some strong consideration in the future.

• BoobZ

Posted January 30, 2008 - 05:33 AM

whatever you do, dont buy the 03 style ktm 450sx.. if i were you it would either be a newer yz 450 or a 525exc.. the 525s are very nice bikes with awesome suspension for trails..

• albertaguy

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:55 AM

might I suggest ktm 300xc (2 stroke). I've never owned one but ride with a guy that does and he loves it. I own a 2007 yzf450 and a 08 ktm 505 xcf. Since I bought the ktm in september I haven't put 15 minutes on the yzf. I thought I was buying the ktm for the dunes and hills and singletrack but after riding it on the track it cornered so much better than the yzf and was so much fun with way more power. Might just be me but I am faster everywhere with the ktm. Hands down the xcf is twice the woods bike than my yzf stock vs. stock but if I hadn't been on my ktm I would have said I love my yzf in the hills, just needs a heavier flywheel and bigger rear sprocket. Anyway back to the 300xc, if I was doing primarily woods that would be my bike for sure. So much easier to take care of, comming from years of cr500's for woods bikes I think I would love it.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted January 30, 2008 - 03:06 PM

I was even thinking 05-06 yz250 possibly, but they seem to be very popular around here and always go for top dollar it seems. All my riding friends run some type of yz250, and all swear by them. I have ridden 4 strokes all my life, but the 2 stroke power delivery is just sooo fun. My dream bike would be an '07 wr450, but there are still none for sale, or like $5500+. I will probably only have about $4000 at the very most to spend. There was a badass 2006 KTM 525 sx-f for $3500, but I still haven't sold the Beast yet.

I've seen numerous 02+ YZ 250s on craigslist that seem like good deals to me:excuseme:. I just saw as close to a brand new 06 for 3500 the other day. It was listed in the Ventura County and LA regions on craigslist. Keep looking, there are plenty of "deals" out there

• 642MX

Posted January 30, 2008 - 07:35 PM

Yah, i ride track every once in a while, but certainly have no plans of racing motocross anytime soon. Mostly do single track, hillclimbs, some fire roads, and going to try to do a few hare scrambles this year.

I bleed blue, but for these conditions, a KTM 300 EXC is the best bike. My Dad has one and its an amazing bike. It just lacks the fun factor in the open sections.

• kid on a 426

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:05 PM

I've seen numerous 02+ YZ 250s on craigslist that seem like good deals to me:excuseme:. I just saw as close to a brand new 06 for 3500 the other day. It was listed in the Ventura County and LA regions on craigslist. Keep looking, there are plenty of "deals" out there

Yah, bikes on the most part go for quite a bit more up here in the bay area though. Which is pretty much a bummer. On a side note, there is a 2006 and a 2005 ktm 525-SXs on craigslist both for $3500. The 05 only has about 20 hours on it, but the 06 has some nice aftermarket parts, and is the updated model right? Just wondering what your guys' pick would be

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.