650r too big?

37 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted January 31, 2008 - 08:20 PM

I had a 98 DR350SE and was looking for more power so i bought a new 650R and put a baja kit on it to make street legal. A world of difference between the 2 bikes! Believe me, the 650R is a heavier bike. Forget the dry weight of the bikes. I don't care what the specs say. Weigh the 2 and I can't see how the XR wouldn't be heavier.

I'd never go back however. The 650 has damn near twice the power and requires a bit more attention in the tight stuff than your DR. If your good height wise you will like it. The XR will no doubt seem higher/heavier.

• Billahjack

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:28 AM

I was blazing a new trail the other day over some nasty rocks and uphills. I was actually riding a wheelie at almost idle in first gear because it was so steep and technical but yet had great traction. I think this is the only situation where I felt that the bike was too heavy for the job.

Other than that, it sucks to pick up if you dump it on a hill climb with the seat facing down the hill.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 02, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I was blazing a new trail the other day over some nasty rocks and uphills. I was actually riding a wheelie at almost idle in first gear because it was so steep and technical but yet had great traction. I think this is the only situation where I felt that the bike was too heavy for the job.

Other than that, it sucks to pick up if you dump it on a hill climb with the seat facing down the hill.

Oh man I know that, real heavy!

• onebigmike

Posted February 04, 2008 - 06:36 AM

I love my 650. It's not real good for the tight canyons but thar's fine with me. It will go anywhere I point it. Once in a while I have trouble starting it but she has to teach me who's boss somehow.

• onebigmike

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:12 AM

[/B]

Oh man I know that, real heavy!

I would have to agree with that as well. I have dumped it seat down before.:worthy: I am not a small man and the bike was :busted: heavy. Trick is don't dump it seat down...

• Billahjack

Posted February 10, 2008 - 10:38 AM

I forgot to add that soft sand is difficult if you are on tight/slow trails. The bike needs some speed to stay up above the sand. Mud is also difficult, but I have only ridden it a handful of times in the mud. for soft sand, its kind of like a jet ski or boat where you have to hit a critical speed to get up on a plane. As soon as you hit that critical speed in the soft stuff, its just grins from ear to ear. The smaller bikes seem to get going from a stop easier on the soft sand.

• onebigmike

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:25 AM

I forgot to add that soft sand is difficult if you are on tight/slow trails. The bike needs some speed to stay up above the sand. Mud is also difficult, but I have only ridden it a handful of times in the mud. for soft sand, its kind of like a jet ski or boat where you have to hit a critical speed to get up on a plane. As soon as you hit that critical speed in the soft stuff, its just grins from ear to ear. The smaller bikes seem to get going from a stop easier on the soft sand.

I would have to agree with the sand analage. I have not ridden in very much mud so I cannot say either way.

• cj650

Posted February 11, 2008 - 06:27 AM

no problems
the 650r is 270 lbs dry
im 14 and have no problems so.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 11, 2008 - 01:03 PM

no problems
the 650r is 270 lbs dry

Ah to be a confident 14 again, I turned 50 this year and my nads dropped again but all it did was make me able to sit on em and no faster.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggletooth

Posted February 11, 2008 - 03:11 PM

I'm 506 /165lbs an have been riding the BRP in every form of terain for years. From veeeery tight single track to open desert and even the dunes. After getting the Edlebrock carb I never had any issues with the bike. I never realy understood what the "it will wear you out" talk was about. It was the only dirt bike I had so it was all I knew. I now have a WR450f. After ridding the WR the XR does wear on me a little more but I have so much fun on it I don't feel tired untill the day is done.

I did lower the bike to fit my short frame. I slid the forks up the triple clamp, shaved the seat, and installed the Kuba lowering link. The bike fits me perfect. infact it's much lower than my WR. I'm sure that lowering it has effected they way it handles. I have heard that the lowering link is a bad idea because of negative effects on the suspention but it made the bike better for me.

Since my BRP isn't my only dirt bike now, I'm going to put the suspention back to normal. I have all ready re-adjusted the forks and will be removing the lowering link next. I'll leave the seat as is.

I know what a pain it can be when it's seat side down on a hill. I all most left it behid once. I was ridding on a tight single track trail on the side of a steep mountain. It fell seat down. It took me over two hours to get it upright and back on the trail. I was so tired I was spitting cotton.

The worst thing was that while trying to start it, it fell over "seat side down" again! I came very close to walking away and leaving it there. Like every one says, "never ride alone!"

BTW, My BRP is for sale:
I promised the wife that I would sell my BRP if she let me get the WR.. That was a year ago and the BRP still reamians in the garage.

I also have a ZX11 that was suposed to be sold after getting a Hayabusa. That's in the gargage also. I was suposed to sell the KZ1000 when I got the ZX11. Guess where the KZ is : )
Posted Image

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 11, 2008 - 03:18 PM

no problems
the 650r is 270 lbs dry

wow 14...and i though i was the youngest BRP riders:prof:

• onebigmike

Posted February 12, 2008 - 10:16 AM

no problems
the 650r is 270 lbs dry

WOW!!! 14 I was still invincible back then. You know I could stop a speeding train with one hand. Used bullets for dental floss.

• resurrection

Posted February 12, 2008 - 02:53 PM

My dad was still stupid when I was 14

• Suikerland

Posted February 12, 2008 - 04:00 PM

As soon as you hit that critical speed in the soft stuff, its just grins from ear to ear.

Like this...

I don't know who's grinning more, me or the pig...

• Suikerland

Posted February 12, 2008 - 04:14 PM

Here's something I learned by riding with people more experienced than me -
maybe it's common knowledge but it took me a while to figure it out...
when you dump the XR on a hill (or side of a dune) with the wheels facing upward and the seat down on the downhill, simply grab the front wheel and drag the bike around 180 degrees, so now the seat is higher and the wheels are lower.

Then pick up in the normal way - BTW picking up using the end of the lower handlebar gives you a LOT more leverage than picking up using other parts of the bike. Just turn the bars to full opposite lock, grab the lower bar and heave.

Those who have picked up the XRR the wrong way on a downward slope know it will will bust yer ass (or worse)

• snaggletooth

Posted February 12, 2008 - 08:54 PM

That only works if you can ride down the hill to a lower trail or even along side of the hill and back to the trail. What if your on a near clif with no trail on the bottom to ride out of? Putting the bike "wheels down" only makes it that much further from the trail ledge and the only way out.
It's a bad spot to be in reguardless!

BTW, I have seen your video on another post. WOW, THAT'S SOME AWSOME DUAL SPORT RIDDING!

Oh, that 14 year old kid who rides a BRP, he's awsome too! I bet he doesn't get spankings any more, LOL

• Suikerland

Posted February 12, 2008 - 09:36 PM

That only works if you can ride down the hill to a lower trail or even along side of the hill and back to the trail. What if your on a near clif with no trail on the bottom to ride out of? Putting the bike "wheels down" only makes it that much further from the trail ledge and the only way out.

ok, you got a point there - I use this technique on dunes, where there is no real trail - you can pretty much pick up the bike, point it anywhere, and ride. I guess dragging the bike 180 degrees circles into thick bush of off a cliff ain't gonna help :applause:

• onebigmike

Posted February 13, 2008 - 05:23 AM

[quote name='snaggletooth']That only works if you can ride down the hill to a lower trail or even along side of the hill and back to the trail. What if your on a near clif with no trail on the bottom to ride out of? Putting the bike "wheels down" only makes it that much further from the trail ledge and the only way out.

I was about to say the same thing when I read this post. It is nice when you can drag it around but sometimes it is not possible.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.