Any of ya'll own a TW200 also?

17 replies to this topic
  • IMNXNYR

Posted January 29, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Any of you folks have a Yamaha TW200 in addition to your 650? Bought one for my daughter so she could ride with me through the power line trails and such and occasionally I get on it to just play and love that machine. Not a lot of power but I've yet to see it get stuck in anything. It's kinda like the rabbit and the turtle when we're cruising around together and I'm on my L. Won't win any races but it's pretty cool for a dual sport. Just curious.

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Father in law has one that i have ridden myself a bit, fun little bike

• martinfan30

Posted January 29, 2008 - 03:48 PM

Think an L engine would fit?:busted:

• xthred

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:23 PM

:busted: bought one for the wife and i end up on that thing 75% of the time .makes a perfect little camping bike and grocery getter too!!

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:59 PM

LOL i dont think so Martin its pretty small cylinder. They do have some nice torque in first and second thats about it though LOL Like a John Deer in first UUAAAGHHHH UUUGGHHHHH all the way up hills.

• tgstoken

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:58 AM

My roomate has an XT225. When we are out brush-busting, he can get through areas that my 650L is just too big for. I have to go out and around gates, he goes under them....:busted: Downside is that on the street, when I hit 3rd gear, I leave him way behind.

• porterdog

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:17 AM

The TW is the funnest bike I have.

And it gets 90mpg (!).

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:03 PM

I had bought one for the GF to ride, but thought I could get some grins when we went to sandy areas, etc.

Fun bike, no doubt, and quite the conversation piece, too.

Only trait that was a negative is that it was a little hard to steer for beginners (most likely due to the massive rear tire) as it liked to continue going in the direction it wanted to. This was never an issue for me---I thought it was a blast to ride, and it was street legal. :worthy:

It was the purple one, and I miss it in an odd way. Yup. A purple bike. :busted:

• Itchykawa

Posted January 30, 2008 - 07:35 PM

I rode Arkansas and Oklahoma on the TAT with 13 others. One dude was on a TW200. He was a big guy too. I was extremely impressed with the durability and performance of it. He pretty much rode right with us for 4 days. He flogged it for all it was worth the whole time. I kept waiting for it to fail but it never did. Great little bikes as far as I can tell. :busted:

I would like to have one around for a city bike and to patrol local trails. It Would save lots of gas. Great small bike for large adults. The Fat wheels and tires make anyone look skinny IMHO (not that I am a lard @$$ or anything :worthy:). The low seat height would inspire confidence with less experienced riders. The seat looks wide and comfortable too.

$.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpage

Posted January 31, 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have an '07 myself. It is the coolest little bike. Cruising around town on it is a blast and it is just fast enough for freeway hauling. My TW is fitted with taller gearing,(47t rear rather than the stock 50) which helps a lot for freeway use to gain a few more MPH while keeping the rpms reasonable. At the same time it still keeps some chug left down low for offroad trails. The stock (american) gearing is just too low, IMHO, for more frequent or lengthy freeway use and better suited to mainly trail duty with a crawler 1st gear.
It is a very versatile machine that can go just about anywhere.
Over the Christmas - New Years holiday I brought it with me to Glamis. I could be riding down 'sand highway' during Glamis rush hour, heading to the sand drags then decide I wanted to sail down the real highway, climb the slope up to the road and be on the asphalt in a few seconds. Then it was bye bye quads & moto bikes as I passed them by to get a good spot at the drag races at Gecko Rd., :worthy: . Lol.
The TW is a great addition to my stable. 2002 XR650R, 2002 CR250 & the 2007 "Mule" TW200. :busted:

• Thumpage

Posted January 31, 2008 - 11:57 PM

Check my TW out. It is fitted with a raised UFO supermoto *design 2* fender on a custom made bracket that mounts to the lower triple clamp. I also fitted the bike with a compact LED taillight setup with mini arrow rear signals. These mods give the bike a more dirt oriented look as well as a sleeker looking profile. I still have to install the front compact, three wire, running light/ turn signals that I have for it to replace the large stock units. The stock '07 rear fender was also replaced with an '06 black fender to match the black colored front I chose to go with.

Posted Image

• tgstoken

Posted February 01, 2008 - 12:47 AM

Now Thumpage, if only you can make it faster....

• Thumpage

Posted February 01, 2008 - 01:37 AM

Now Thumpage, if only you can make it faster....

That is on my list. A few basic mods to the airbox, either a aftermarket muffler or modding the stock muffler and rejetting will accomplish that. But to what extent, it's about the choice of mods regarding how quiet I want to keep this particular bike and the cost difference as well.
These bikes run quite lean as-is and seem to have a pretty reasonable potential of gaining some decent extra power with these simple modifications.

• tgstoken

Posted February 01, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Ya, I just walked my friend through the uncork/jetting process for his XT225 and he now has more top end, easier starts and cooler running temps. For as much as he rides it though, he should invest in a aftermarket muffler and ditch his canabalized stock muffler. Often times I think that the little Yamahas are more durable than my beloved 650L. I have seen that 225 go down more times than I can count and the only thing to break so far was a rear turn signal.

• Denn10

Posted February 01, 2008 - 11:14 AM

LOL i cant believe you guys take them on the freeways in SoCal THATS BRAVE!!!

• Rideaide

Posted February 01, 2008 - 11:29 AM

I bought an XT225 back in 98' and have over 15,000 miles on it with no engine work. Great bike for an extra to have around. Hard to keep up with the boys on a BRP.

• Thumpage

Posted February 04, 2008 - 10:33 PM

Ya, I just walked my friend through the uncork/jetting process for his XT225 and he now has more top end, easier starts and cooler running temps. For as much as he rides it though, he should invest in a aftermarket muffler and ditch his canabalized stock muffler. Often times I think that the little Yamahas are more durable than my beloved 650L. I have seen that 225 go down more times than I can count and the only thing to break so far was a rear turn signal.

The TWs/XTs are durable bikes. The TW motor is known for being bullet proof in durability & reliability. The motors between the two are very similar. There is actually no specifically made aftermarket muffler for the TW but guys use a FMF or Pro Circuit TTR225 aftermarket muffler. The TWs header just needs to be cut about 1/2" shorter at the mating point to allow the muffler mount bolt to line up with the lower forward muffler frame mount.

• Thumpage

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:23 PM

LOL i cant believe you guys take them on the freeways in SoCal THATS BRAVE!!!

Heh,heh,.. I live in Nor Cal myself now but I hear you. With a generally quoted top speed of 70-75mph, with the usual taller gearing but otherwise unmodified, the bikes don't really have any passing ability in fast traffic, just enough to keep pace. I have felt the heat a couple times myself. A few lighter weight TW riders have quoted in the range of 80mph with 14/45 gearing.
I may be a bit beefier than the average bear. With me at 245lbs., my TW maxes out right at 70-71mph on flat highway with the 14/47 gearing with reasonable revs. It only has about 375 miles on it at this time. With the stock gearing it would hit right at about 65mph but it was screaming along. I had first tried 14/45 gearing and the bike had the same top speed as using the current 14/47. The taller gearing just couldn't pull my weight effectively.
If I am hanging behind a car on flat ground, 70mph is easier to run at and closer or around 75mph is possible. With someone lighter than me using similar gearing, I believe an additional 5 -10mph top speed could be achieved as has been claimed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.