Steering Stem

12 replies to this topic
  • Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:48 AM

In the defense of my stupidity that I'm about to confess to this is the first time I tried this and I didn’t look to this forum for guidance.

I have a 07 YZ450 and I bought Applied 24mm off set clamps with out the stem. To make a long story short I tried to press the stem out the wrong way and I moved it a little before I realized my mistake.

I now have it pressed in to the new clamp and reinstalled. My question is will this thing come lose or slip out when I hit a big double??? I deserve any and all colorful comments that are about to thrown at me!!!
:ride: :worthy: :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:05 AM

If the wire stop ring and the groove is intact, and it fit the new clamp properly, there's no reason for it to fail you.

Now that you've done this, you see the logic in the way it's set up, don't you?

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:37 AM

The grove is fine the ring is not it did fit in with no problem.
Yes I see the light.

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:37 AM

If I were to buy a new stem from applied which one would should it be
They list
Long
Mid
Short

http://appliedrace.c...&sort=3a&page=3

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:41 AM

The long one. The short is for the 250F/125, and the mid is for the '08.

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:47 AM

The grove is fine the ring is not it did fit in with no problem.
Yes I see the light.

Since I killed the ring are you recommending a new stem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:58 AM

If the stem you have is OK other than the ring, you can probably locate a wire ring at a good hardware outlet to replace it with.

The truth of the matter is that, since the ring is entirely held captive once in place, any piece of steel or stainless wire, whether a springy, pre-formed ring or not, will work. The requirements are that it must fit in the groove, and it must stand up out of the groove larger than the stem diameter, but no larger than the diameter of the counter bore in the bottom of the stem.

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:08 AM

If the stem you have is OK other than the ring, you can probably locate a wire ring at a good hardware outlet to replace it with.

The truth of the matter is that, since the ring is entirely held captive once in place, any piece of steel or stainless wire, whether a springy, pre-formed ring or not, will work. The requirements are that it must fit in the groove, and it must stand up out of the groove larger than the stem diameter, but no larger than the diameter of the counter bore in the bottom of the stem.

Grayracer you are a wealth of knowledge and I trust your advice However

Since I need to unassembled the front end and press the stem out once again (the correct way) I’ll spend $50 for peace of mind. I just envision getting harpooned through the head by the stem on a big landing.

Thanks again

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:50 AM

I called Applied and talked with one of thier sales reps. I wanted to know if that ring comes with their stem. Sales rep is to call me back because she didnt know off hand. I sure one of out there knows.

Thanks

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:31 AM

I called Applied and talked with one of thier sales reps. I wanted to know if that ring comes with their stem. Sales rep is to call me back because she didnt know off hand. I sure one of out there knows.

Thanks

Applied called back and said I dont need the ring with their stem and clamp:applause:

• Norman

Posted January 30, 2008 - 08:58 AM

I did the same thing on my 02 CRF, except I didnt give up till it was out!!

• Mfinazzo

Posted January 30, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I did the same thing on my 02 CRF, except I didnt give up till it was out!!

That made me laugh, at least I know I'm not the only dunce out there that did wrong!!

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2008 - 10:14 AM

.. at least I know I'm not the only dunce out there ...

Believe me, neither of you are the Champ, either. :busted:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.