Front sprocket, what do you guys think?

10 replies to this topic
  • Knowledge seeker

Posted January 29, 2008 - 04:37 AM

In all the reading I've done as an XR650R newbie I've noticed that a lot of riders change the front 14 tooth sprocket to a 13 one to improve the trail riding capability. In the other hand American Honda suggest having the rear wheel as close to the swingarm pivot for handling purposes. Would it be possible to have a 13 tooth, remove a link from the chain, slide the rear wheel forward, and still have the proper chain slack adjustment?. Thanks in advance

Roger

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:48 AM

theres two handling sides of that, rear wheel all the way back= more stable for higher speeds and all the way foreward= better cornering due to shorter wheel base. NOW will you feel all that much a difference in that 1-1 1/2 in wheel base? Prolly not alot to warrant cutting the chain to purpously have it all the way foreward. Id put what sprocket you chose and see where the wheel is in the swingarm and go from there, i wouldnt purpously cut the chain to have the wheel in if its in the middle thats fine. You prolly wont tell the difference in 1" of wheel base, so not really worth cutting the chain to accomplish that.

• Knowledge seeker

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:05 AM

Point taken, thanks!

Roger

• djones

Posted January 29, 2008 - 01:57 PM

You could also go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket for the same effect with out having to shorten the chain. Im not positive, but I believe +3 teeth on the rear= -1 tooth up front

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 03:44 PM

You could also go up a few teeth on the rear sprocket for the same effect with out having to shorten the chain. Im not positive, but I believe +3 teeth on the rear= -1 tooth up front

you add 3 and youll prolly have to add to chain, alot depends where your rear wheel is sitting at current gearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 29, 2008 - 03:50 PM

I know its different bike, but when I went 3 up in the rear to 48, The chain was still long enough.

• scalejockey

Posted January 29, 2008 - 04:37 PM

Personally,i tried the 13 for trail riding and hated it! All the low end grunt was lost to wheel spin.I was shifting all the time and not going anywhere.

Hey martinfan30,Is that a tt-r 250 in that avatar now??

• martinfan30

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:01 PM

Na, thats my 650L that Jetfuel photoshopped for me!lol

• scalejockey

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:17 PM

HUUMMM...I think i like it. But that's my Yamaha side talking.

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:08 PM

I think its ghey and insulting to a honda to have Yami colors!! But thats just me!! LOL

Your right Martin it may work but is an R all depends where wheel is located in swingarm. I have a 47 that i bought for my "REAL" yamaha for Stateline Sumo and it has two sets of mounting holes so it looks really close to my L so im gonna try to make it work since im still lugging around stock. I need a little bit more so 45-47 should suit me fine. Ill just make more power with engine mods soon.

Hope all this helps ya out Knowledge

• Knowledge seeker

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:40 AM

Thank you all for all the responses. It actually works out pretty good to get a realistic point of view from the people who have worked & tinkered with this bike.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.