suspension tuning?

1 reply to this topic
  • seamus1618

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:33 PM

Okay guys, I put a Mountain Motorsports lowering link on my 2000 WR400 this weekend.
This link drops the bike about 2" in the rear and I lowered my front by letting the fork tubes slide higher in the clamps.
The bike sits pretty much level now without a rider on it.
My question is how should I adjust my rear suspension?
Right now I have the compression set at 5 clicks out and the rebound at 5 clicks out.
This seems like a pretty decent set up but the handling feels a little tight and the ride is kind of stiff.
It's not perfect but I could live with it if I had to.
I went riding around the neighborhood this weekend with a screw driver and kept making adjustments and this was about the best I could come up with.
Any ideas or opinions of what I should do to get back to a more stock feel.
By the way I weigh about 148lbs and trail ride only if that matters.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:47 PM

Okay guys, I put a Mountain Motorsports lowering link on my 2000 WR400 this weekend.
This link drops the bike about 2" in the rear and I lowered my front by letting the fork tubes slide higher in the clamps.
The bike sits pretty much level now without a rider on it.
My question is how should I adjust my rear suspension?
Right now I have the compression set at 5 clicks out and the rebound at 5 clicks out.
This seems like a pretty decent set up but the handling feels a little tight and the ride is kind of stiff.
It's not perfect but I could live with it if I had to.
I went riding around the neighborhood this weekend with a screw driver and kept making adjustments and this was about the best I could come up with.
Any ideas or opinions of what I should do to get back to a more stock feel.
By the way I weigh about 148lbs and trail ride only if that matters.

The stock springs (0.46 kg/mm front and 5.0 kg/mm back) are too stiff for your weight. According to some web based spring rate calculators you should be using a 0.44/4.9 combo. But then again, you have changed the leverage ratios of the rear end with the lowering link, so these numbers may not apply to the bike now. It would be best to consult a suspension tuner, or, in the interim, post this question in the suspension section and see what you learn. There are some smart people moderating that section. Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.