? for guys on 07 with oil in the airbox

13 replies to this topic
  • mavis0826

Posted January 28, 2008 - 05:32 PM

I've read alot about the oil in the airbox but my ? is the oil more likely to be sucked out of the case when the airbox snorkle is in place. My bike is stock but ive done the throttle stop. I raced my buddy on his new ktm sx450 a few time before loading up. I think the a couple of high speed runs pulled the oil out.

Posted January 28, 2008 - 05:49 PM

The only oil I have seen in my airbox was directly related to over filling of oil.

When I got my 07' I read the manual on changing oil and would open the drain plug on the left lower side of the motor, this drains the reservoir that is now part of our motor instead of residing in the frame. I bet you that for 5 or 6 oil changes I got nothing more than a drip out of this plug and it was a pain to get to so for the next 8 months I never drained from there... just drain from the bottom and what was in the filter and my oil level always checked out good... then one day ( i had owned the bike for 9 months at this time) I noticed all this oil in my airbox :applause: checked the oil level and I was way to full....

Needles to say, I always drain the reservoir now:bonk:

Anyway, check your oil level and make sure you not overfilling the bike, good luck :cool:

• mavis0826

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:00 PM

I don't understand. Is there more then one place to drain the oil? I've replaced the filter a couple of times but thats it. Only like 4 oil changes total.

• sidewinder2

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:06 PM

I don't understand. Is there more then one place to drain the oil? I've replaced the filter a couple of times but thats it. Only like 4 oil changes total.

Yes, theres 2 drain bolts, one on the bottom and one on the left side.
There is also the oil filter drain bolt.

• ktmdestroyer

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:13 PM

It usually comes from the crank breather hose. One tip over and you got it in there. I wouldn't worry about it.

• SXP

Posted January 28, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yes, theres 2 drain bolts, one on the bottom and one on the left side.

Actually, on the 07, both drain bolts are on the sides (in that, both bolt heads face out to the left and right sides of the bike and not down toward the ground). A minor point, but one that could save the OP some head scratching.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:03 AM

I ride an 05 but sounds like SJMC DON has got the deal figured out. I just want to throw my $.02 in on this. If I were running the 07 I would drain it the easy way then get a small container and drain the rest of the oil out for measure. From then on I would just drain her the easy way and make adjustments to the oil fill level accordingly. Couldn't possibly be much more than about an ounce or two could it?

Sounds too like and issue that could come back to haunt you on overfill if you eliminated AIS???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:19 AM

on my 07 I've always pulled both plugs and left it drain for two hours then I refill . I have not had any oil in my air cleaner . but I think you really have to watch these bikes that you don't over fill them I have twice now I just pulled out the extra before I rode the bike

Posted January 29, 2008 - 11:17 AM

The other thing I noticed and the manual states this in the procedure, you have to pull the dipstick to release the vacuum in the oil reservoir to get any oil out of the left side drain plug.... I think this was the mistake I was making when I found only a small amount of oil coming out of the left hand side drain plug :busted:

• atitagain

Posted January 29, 2008 - 12:52 PM

I did the same thing on my first oil change, not much oil came out of the left side with the plugs in. On the second oil change I had both the dip-stick and the fill plug off and quite a bit of oil came out. It pays to read the manual!

• mavis0826

Posted January 29, 2008 - 12:55 PM

I've pulled the dip stick ever time. But can you help me locate the second drain plug?

• tweav

Posted January 29, 2008 - 02:03 PM

left one:

Posted Image

right one is up underneath :

Posted Image

• garr87v

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:38 AM

left one:

Posted Image

right one is up underneath :

Posted Image

If these pics don't help I don't know what will. The left one is under the oil filler cap on the bottom of the engine. The right one is almost right under the foot peg. If you have a manual it is on page 3-23. Always read the instructions :busted:

• mxer1965

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:58 PM

Wow. Been a while since the last time I visited the TT forums.

I had the same problem of engine oil getting sucked into the air box and it was really pissing me off because of the mess it made. The problem was NOT that the engine was overfilled with oil, the problem was that Yamaha failed to design an air box to allow sufficient air flow for the way I ride. It was designed for an off road touring bike.
Yes, I removed the snorkel and installed six 1" breathers in the sides but that didn't do a damn thing other than it just took a little longer to start spewing all over my swingarm.

Simple fix: Bought breather tube for a 07 YZ450 and a 1/2" plastic tee and routed the breather the same as the YZ with zip ties. The tee is to attach the breather drain hose that runs down to the starter housing. I also plugged the nipple on the air box with a rubber cap just as I did for the AIS removal.

Just my input guys.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.