new 426 bottom end?

9 replies to this topic
  • hillclimb426

Posted January 28, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I stripped the teeth on fourth gear and possible a few on 5th.should try to get a new bottom end off ebay,or here.and have my head put on it.or just pay the $1500-$2000 for the shop to fix it.thanx for any suggestions.

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:57 AM

If you are mechanically inclined and have the necessary tools, there really is no reason that you can't do the work yourself. Getting a complete bottom end off eBay is somewhat of a crap shoot. You really don't know if you are buying someone else's problem. You gotta wonder why they are selling the bottom end in the first place.

Have you split the cases and looked inside? Get a good idea of all of the damage and then go from there.

Paying $1500-2000 for a shop to do the work is an awful lot IMHO. If that is the route that you are leaning towards, I personally would really give some thought to parting the bike out and using the money towards a newer ride.

• hillclimb426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:12 AM

i am mechanicallly inclined i just dont have all the tools.what tools would i need. have some of them.i realy like the bike and want it fixed.i have a manual is that accurate enough for me to use to tear down the motor.

• Pozi

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:40 AM

i am mechanicallly inclined i just dont have all the tools.what tools would i need. have some of them.i realy like the bike and want it fixed.i have a manual is that accurate enough for me to use to tear down the motor.

I did the bottom end on my 426. And coincidentally my 5th gear had gone out too. But you do not need any special tools to do the bottom end....That is if you don't need to removed the crankshaft...But if it is just the gears you shouldn't have to. Just make sure you have enough room to keep everything organized. I have a work bench with a peg-board wall and what I did was hang everything on the peg as I removed it so I knew what way to re-install everything.

The factory service manual is a very good resource for putting it all back together.

Once you find the problem buy your stuff through OEMThumpertalk. They have the best prices of anyplace I have found.

Good luck.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:47 AM

what tools would i need.

The one thing you really can't do without effectively is a flywheel puller. Those are readily available, and cost less than $20.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimb426

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:33 AM

thanks for the info.do i need to remove the head and split the case.you make it sound easy.or can i get to the gears another way.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Yes. The top end has to be removed, and the cases split. It's a complex job with a lot of steps and details, but it's not really that difficult.

• slammmin72

Posted January 29, 2008 - 04:52 PM

i did a complete top and bottom end on my 250 (2 stroke....i know they are a little simpler, but the trannys are the same style) i am mechanically inclind, but hte thought of tearing it all apart was a little scary at first. once u start taking it apart, its pretty simple. but like the previous gu said, work on a nice clean work bench with lots of zip-lock baggies and label everthing. i had a waterpump shaft shed a few gears which in turn took out a few other primary drive gears. so i went ahead and replaced all the bearings in the whole bike (that can get very expensive as i found out) and since i had it apart, i put a new HOt Rods crank and connecting rod, piston, clutch....and everyhting else that was bound to be next

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:07 PM

For $250.00 you can buy a lot of tools that would get you inside the bottom end and fix it. That would be better than paying all that money for a shop to fix it and it would give you an opportunity to examine and work on your bike. If for some reason you could not do the job then sobe take the $1500.00-2000.00 dollars you saved and go use it for a down payment towards a newer bike.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:51 PM

Once the bottom end is reaasembled is there a way to check it before putting the top end back on...??? Turn the crank over , make sure it moves freely...?? click the gears make sure they are engaging...??

Sure would suck to get it all back together......and have it not be right..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.