Who's racin the WR?

7 replies to this topic
  • zod0143

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Question number 413 in my conquest to learn this damn bike. I raced it last weekend and once again I am riding a bike that will not start in gear. If you race it, and you start it in gear, TELL ME HOW!!!. Include coloring pictures and stick figure instructions as I am a retard. Once agian thank you for the support.:cool:

• Chew

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:09 PM

I have a 07 WR450 and it starts in gear with no problems. If you are doing a dead engine start I typically start mine in gear and kick it instead of using the e-start. Or try to kick and hit the button at the same time.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:11 PM

What year?

Are you kicking or using the button?

How well does it start in Neutral? Hot? Cold?

I almost always kick start mine but I just recently did the blu/wht wire mod and it took the 2 - 3 dead revolution out but it can still be slow to start especially in gear.

Make sure the bike is warmed up really well, ride it around before you stage on the line so as to get the clutch good and lubricated. I am rich on my leak jet (or so I have been told this is my problem) so I almost always use the hot start.

Start in 2nd if not already doing so.

Ultimately I have always found the kick start method to be a little quicker and more reliable while starting on the line in gear...

• mvryder

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:11 PM

Did you replace the stock clutch lever? It has a clutch switch in the perch on the stock lever. It essentially won't let you start in gear unless the clutch is pulled in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Question number 413 in my conquest to learn this damn bike. I raced it last weekend and once again I am riding a bike that will not start in gear. If you race it, and you start it in gear, TELL ME HOW!!!. Include coloring pictures and stick figure instructions as I am a retard. Once agian thank you for the support.:cool:

Where did you place? So, apart from the growing pains, how are you liking the WR?

• zod0143

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:25 PM

The WR is an 07 that is uncorked with you alls help. It really runs well now. I do the dead engine start thing. I am an "A" rider and as we all know it is very important to start well. I got off of the CRF partially for this reason.( i thought the WR would be better). I tried to rock back and forth between lines ( I'm on the third) to keep oil between the fibers. Flag goes up....I kick it ......no revs...kick again.....again.....then she lights. You think thsi elusive sky blue wire will help???? I thought before the race on the line that top 5 would be OK first day on a new bike. Barely pulled 10th out of 30 but thats OK. As far as if I like it..................NO...........not yet. It does a few things better than the HOnda. I just don't want to let down the people that help me every year. I rode today and it was better. Her and I are in therapy about 2 days a week now weather be damned...

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I don't move once I am on the line, I may start it when they send the two waves ahead of me but I always shut it off and let the clutch out and don't move or rock the bike.... the 07' has a habit of getting stuck at TDC I've found it to happen about 5% of the time and in that case you have to rock it :cool:

Are you required to keep your hands off the bars? If not, don't release the clutch once you have shut it off:prof:

Out of 15 races last season it let me down once and I mean bad, it probably took 10 or more kicks..... funny story with a pic off I go chasing the pack 5th gear pinned on 1/2 mile of pavement before the first left hander, I had no sense of how much to slow down for that turn, I slid thru the ribbon as the spectators go running - notice the hole in the ass of my pants :applause:
Posted Image

Anyway I chased down the leader only to get a rear flat and finish 4th...

Not to sidetrack the thread but a funny little story about the one and only time my beloved WR gave me grief on the line :busted:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted January 28, 2008 - 07:14 PM

I don't move once I am on the line, I may start it when they send the two waves ahead of me but I always shut it off and let the clutch out and don't move or rock the bike.... the 07' has a habit of getting stuck at TDC I've found it to happen about 5% of the time and in that case you have to rock it :busted:

Are you required to keep your hands off the bars? If not, don't release the clutch once you have shut it off:prof:

DON has some good tips, and better pics&storys!!! hehe

Recently, I have had an oscilloscope all over my 2004 WR450 electrical wiring, and have found something interesting. I posted this in another older thread called "Race Start.".

I suggest you read this thread, its not that long of a read, and has the info on the blue/white wire at the CDI. Make sure you read to the end of the 5 pages!!!
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=570659

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.