Look at my plug

10 replies to this topic
  • tgstoken

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Well, here's the plug from my 650L. Its a DPR8EA. The plug has thick black carbon(?) and the tip is a lil white-ish. I am running uncorked, Supertrapp muffler, twin air filter, 160/60 jetting. How does this plug look? It seems to me that it shows signs of being too rich and too lean. Or, is this just right? I am not having any running issues, I'm just curious. Let me know guys:applause: I am using CFN/Petit gas.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• kalvin22

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:34 PM

personal opinion is that you are rich, but not to horrible as for the clean spot on the electrode is where carbon got blown off. just my .02:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:44 PM

That isnt bad. Are you having issues?

Modern fuels and the additives can make plug reading confusing.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:04 PM

Looks very typical for your motor and jetting.
Try a different gas brand. I like Mobil and Chevron.

• cleonard

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:24 PM

Like others have said, it looks a little rich, but not too bad. I like to run a little on the rich side as it helps the engine run a bit cooler.

The tan color that we used to shoot for doesn't really happen any more with the gas that we have today. If you are lucky it will be a slightly tan colored grayish color. Makes reading plugs a lot harder than it used to be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cj650

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:43 PM

Looks good to me
don't want to lean it too much if you do
but if you really want it perfect try different jetting and fuel and air mixtures
try to get the plug coco brown
but that is if you want it perfect

• HeadTrauma

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Something you might try is looking at the color of the ceramic further down in the plug body. I've heard some people argue that you have to cut sparkplugs open to get an accurate reading. I'm not suggesting you destroy one, just take a look if you can.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:56 AM

I agree just a wee bit rich and that's ok. Maybe back off your pilot to a 55? how many turns out on the fuel air screw are you? Out is rich and in is lean - so I have been told. Normal is about 2 1/4 for an uncorked bike.

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:06 AM

or 58 pilot, my first thought was not alot of WA state is sea level and a 60 pilot seems a bit rich unless you got a modded motor with more cc's. Where in WA are you and what elevation.

• suharianu

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:43 AM

there are little balls which is sign of detonation or lean mixture.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 09:26 AM

ya know I meant a 58 pilot- that is what I am running and I live in Washington state at sea level

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.