Pros & Cons of hand guards???

18 replies to this topic
  • jonr3

Posted January 28, 2008 - 10:30 AM

Since I ride my 650L to and from my local ORV park, I've been worried about dumping it and breaking either my clutch lever or front brake lever and having to ride it back home. (I've had to ride with a broken clutch lever before and it sucked! :cool: )

So, I decided to buy a set of real, metal-reinforced hand guards.:applause:

I mounted them last night and shortened my levers so that they would have free movement. I rode my bike to work this morning (even though it was 22 degrees).

My first impression is that there is not a lot of room for my hands. I'm a little concerned that now, if I dump it, I'm gonna get my hand stuck in there and maybe break a few fingers since my hands can no longer go out the side.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

• Denn10

Posted January 28, 2008 - 01:17 PM

get a pic the ones ive seen looked like they had more room than your explaining. ALOT use handguards so i dont think most brands are bad. what brand you get?

i rode in 45 min ride to work not long ago and it was in higher 20s WOW never again LOL

• Norge

Posted January 28, 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hand guards are necessary when riding in cactus. I would feel naked without hand guards. I have a pair of SRC hand guards and they are roomy and very strong. I hit an oncoming jeep mirror with my left hand guard around 35 mph and it didn't damage the hand guard at all, it did collapse the jeep mirror and I kept going.

• jonr3

Posted January 28, 2008 - 01:55 PM

get a pic the ones ive seen looked like they had more room than your explaining. ALOT use handguards so i dont think most brands are bad. what brand you get?

i rode in 45 min ride to work not long ago and it was in higher 20s WOW never again LOL

They are Moose handguards. I'll take a pic tonight. Yeah, my commute is about 45 minutes and it took about 2 hours to get any feeling back in my hands after they finally thawed out.

• 650_shark

Posted January 28, 2008 - 02:15 PM

I can't go in the woods with out handguards, you will get use to the tight feeling. With bulky gloves its not very room but regular warm weather riding gloves it's ok.

• Denn10

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hand guards are necessary when riding in cactus. I would feel naked without hand guards. I have a pair of SRC hand guards and they are roomy and very strong. I hit an oncoming jeep mirror with my left hand guard around 35 mph and it didn't damage the hand guard at all, it did collapse the jeep mirror and I kept going.

lmao what a dik !!! i need leg guards for cactus, took on one to the upper boot and WOW did that hurt getting some kinda in my shin, mostly in the boot but i hate cactus.

Moose should be about same shape as others, with regards to broken levers the bad thing about stock perches in the pins that they have to keep from rotating. Without these you can put thread tape (like the stuff you use on fittings) under the perch and this lets you still tighten down enough that they dont rotate under normal circumstances BUT if you fall its enough to let them rotate and broken levers are pretty much gone except in crazy crashes.

• Juxxtin

Posted January 28, 2008 - 03:41 PM

Look at the design style of Cycra Pro-bend... top notch.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 28, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yup. Best thing since helmets.

• jetfuel

Posted January 28, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Yes I agree , the Cycra Pro bend are very nice and have that U shaped bend at the bar end allowing hand removal more easily. I ride tight woods and could never feel comfortable without them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • IMNXNYR

Posted January 29, 2008 - 02:58 AM

Back in 88 while hauling butt through the trails in out in the Bremerton WA area with a couple friends (I was riding the DR250 in my avatar) we got separated because 1 of the guys I was riding with choose to stop every 5 miles to put his chain back on instead of replacing the counter sprocket. End result, he ended up on the same trail that we were on except he was now heading in the opposite direction and we both reached the tops of a 30 foot double jump from opposite ends at WOT. Needless to say that mid-air collision absolutely sucked. Both bikes mangled and now to get back to your original question, due to the impact speed between us, my left arm went down through the hand guard and stayed there while the rest of me went over the bars on a now stationary bike resulting in 4 hours of surgery to place two metal plates on my forearm bones. Both broke clean in half. I'll call that a "con".:worthy:
Looking back, would I have installed them knowing what was in store for me? Hell yes, I was unconscious for most of the mid-air event so I didn't fell much of anything until well after I came out of surgery but I clearly remember the pain from every tree trunk, branch and rock that ever hit or rubbed my fingers while they were unprotected. +1 on hand guards :busted:

• absynth01

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:28 AM

I gotta have em. I remember woods riding on a downhill and pinching my hand on a small tree and my bars. Just the added protection from the wind and gravel on fire roads is good enough for me. I just bought Moose aluminum handguards and Moose competition hanguard protectors for the 650L. The protectors are some softer material I haven't seen before but like its feel and flexability. Had to upgrade since getting 1 1/8 bars!! That red hanguard is the two assembled. Stock 650L plastic in the box.
Posted Image
DOT legal handguards with blinkers.
Posted Image

• Denn10

Posted January 29, 2008 - 06:54 AM

That sucks IMNM thats a pretty bad and unlucky wallop you took there.

• summitlt

Posted January 29, 2008 - 04:31 PM

I like the full wrap around plastic ones. They still keep your levers in good shape when ya dump it. Theyll bend more than youd think. I prefer them over the aluminum wrap arounds. More protection too.

• Rockjockey

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:00 PM

In the mid 80's I went down at a high rate of speed on a gravel fire road and never let go of the bars, not even a scratch on my hands + 1 for hand guards. I usd the Moose guards shown by Absynth above on the 650L and have no complaints. On the 440 I use for enduro work they are a must, I would feel naked without them (too many pinched fingers,crunched knuckles etc.).

• focallength

Posted January 29, 2008 - 05:10 PM

every time I look at the gouges and scrapes on my gaurds Im thankfull for them. It only takes one time riding close to any brush/trees to make you want to buy gaurds. As far as breaking your hands, I suppose its possible but it would have to be pretty difficult, I cant even imagine a scenario where you would get your hands stuck. I use KTM's generic black hand gaurds ($75) they are all plastic and work great. And yes breaking a lever every time you dump the bike gets old really fast not to mention expensive.

• Whiteman

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Another vote for the Cycra Pro-bend. I use the Bonz Mounts for a secure mount.
Posted Image

Also for those cold rides you guys should try some hippo hands. No need for those bulky gloves. Keeps hands nice and toasty. Heated grips help too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• jonr3

Posted January 30, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the info. Mine are the same as the Moose handguards that absynth01 posted pics of. I went out to the garage last night and rotated them up a little more and that seemed to help. Also took it for a ride wearing my thinner gloves and it felt much better. My cold weather gloves are pretty thick and by rotating the guards upwards, my hands now seem to have more room. I think I will just have to get used to not being able to slide out the side of my grips. I can live with that. Thanks again - I feel much better about spending the $$$ :busted:

• danny v

Posted January 30, 2008 - 07:41 PM

I have the acerbis guards with the metal strap inside.When you position them stright out from the bar ( level with the ground ) and your levers downward approx 30* you should have more than enough room for two gloves. The guards stright out also provide a wind break you seem to be looking for,however nothing is going to feel warm in sub "o" weather !:busted:

• absynth01

Posted January 31, 2008 - 05:20 AM

I like the full wrap around plastic ones. They still keep your levers in good shape when ya dump it. Theyll bend more than youd think. I prefer them over the aluminum wrap arounds. More protection too.

You mean like this?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I tried the Emgo full plastic ones. Not up to par in my book. Broke first highside for my wife, maybe 10mph. The Acerbis on the 600R have proved quite robust and they are all plastic. The Emgos cost me 15$ new, Acerbis are prolly 65$. Worst part is my parts guy has a big box of Emgos all day for 15$. The aluminum ones I have run for a few years, and never had one break or bend out of service.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.